kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

1 minute ago, Alli said:

OK HOW is American Assassin doing better than Kingsman? I know i know....o'brien fans. But its not only them....the movie is based on a best selling book. That has to count. Still....let's see if it breaks out. No reviews yet tho...

The trailer I've gotten at the cinema for American Assassin is terrible one of the worst that I've seen recently. 

1 minute ago, Lizzy said:

The trailer I've gotten at the cinema for American Assassin is terrible one of the worst that I've seen recently. 

Based on reviews on letterboxd  from advanced screenings, the movie is bad too. Still....it has the book fanbase and obrien's fanbase. Can it pull a Jack reacher?

23 minutes ago, Alli said:

Based on reviews on letterboxd  from advanced screenings, the movie is bad too. Still....it has the book fanbase and obrien's fanbase. Can it pull a Jack reacher?

And a late embargo for the reviews.. (and this is not a WB release)

I'm not sure how valid those book sales list are, but Jack Reacher is probably a bigger phenomenon right ? It was such a big franchise than casting Cruise made some controversy, being different than the character in the books and all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Around 60 million copies (on 22 novel + 11 shorts stories), JR is a massive massive book franchise (not Life of Pi/Girl on a train/fault in our star/Dan Brown level but still an real established large fan base affair).

That, Cruise being a bigger draw at the time, the movie looking like it will be bad, made it hard to believe that it could pull a 80m domestic like Jack Reacher did competing with IT legs.

Half of that, around 40-45m seem more likely imo, beating Atomic Blonde should not be easy and that did 51m. 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Barnack said:

DJAPgCVXkAEZRuw.jpg

When I suggested that it should pick up because of the festival on American assassin I thought it could get around the same or a bit above, but not tripling it and going over Thor/Star wars...., that amount of online presence must certainly make the festival expenses more than worth it for the studio, would have cost a fortune to manufacture, but would it be worth it to make up for being in IT legs too.......will depends of the market I guess.

most-talked-about-movies-9-11-17.jpg?w=6

giphy.gif

Thank you @Barnack !!

So at the moment it is still 83 on metacritic with 'universal acclaim'.  Kinda don't see that lasting forever with this movie,  but I can see the metacritic critics appreciating it as cinefiles more than some of the blogs that review on RT.  It will be interesting to see how the two scores compare in the end.

pete-ware-1505193885767.jpg

Edited by trifle
  • Thanks 1

Whatever mainstream audiences think of this film, I can totally see it getting cult classic status. Seems like all the motifs, themes, and metaphors in the film will inspire a lot of debate (and clearly, art)....

I am actually shocked that I am this excited about a Jlaw movie!!! :D 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cochofles said:

OMG...those posters!!!!! Just fucking brilliant!!!! 

nicky-barkla-1505193885765.jpg

THAT^^^ is breathtakingly beautiful!!! Seriously...am I the only one drunk on its beauty?

It may be my favorite!

Also, Jen is on Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, trifle said:

It may be my favorite!

I wonder whether it is digitally painted or done by hand. Either way, I love how they captured Jennifer's likeness (am I the only one who thinks there's a little bit of Emily Blunt in Jlaw's features?)...

BTW, those posters are not official, right? Are they fanmade?

The person who did that^^^ needs to work creating actual movie posters.

@Cochofles

I think they are 'official' but not that they will be posted in theaters.  There are murals going up all over the world, hand painted.  The original posters were definitely hand painted.  I don't know it as a fact but I would be astonished if these were not hand painted.  Even the credits of the film were all hand calligraphied. (If that is a word!)

Edited by trifle

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

They are paintings done by hand I think.

And official since it seems to be the same artist as the first poster wa saw for the movie.

15 minutes ago, trifle said:

@Cochofles

I think they are 'official' but not that they will be posted in theaters.  There are murals going up all over the world, hand painted.  The original posters were definitely hand painted.  I don't know it as a fact but I would be astonished if these were not hand painted.  Even the credits of the film were all hand calligraphied. (If that is a word!)

Well, they are fantastic, IMO.

Rarely do we see actual creativity and imagination in Hollywood's film posters' game.

Or maybe I am not looking hard enough...

The film's posters certainly illuminate the director's thematic/visual/ideological palette with mother!

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2