kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

5 hours ago, Goffe said:

If I didn't have so many things going right now I would marathon Aronofsky filmography before seeing mother!. I'm especially curious about Requiem and Fountain.

I really liked the fountain, I admired how ambitious, grand and romantic it felt, also very beautiful visuals so it's one of my favourites of his but that is not a popular option. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

I really liked the fountain, I admired how ambitious, grand and romantic it felt, also very beautiful visuals so it's one of my favourites of his but that is not a popular option. 

It was based on a graphic novel and the imagery and themes were heavily borrowed from the source material. Most of Black Swan's themes and imagery were taken from Satoshi Kon films like Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress. Haven't seen Requiem since a long time but that had themes and imagery taken from Perfect Blue as well.

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It was based on a graphic novel and the imagery and themes were heavily borrowed from the source material. Most of Black Swan's themes and imagery were taken from Satoshi Kon films like Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress. Haven't seen Requiem since a long time but that had themes and imagery taken from Perfect Blue as well.

Wait I'm confused after reading your comment I looked for the graphic novel because it sounded interesting but the only I could find is by Darren Aronofsky released in 2005. 

16 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I think Aronofksi owns the rights of Perfect Blue in America.

3 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

Wait I'm confused after reading your comment I looked for the graphic novel because it sounded interesting but the only I could find is by Darren Aronofsky released in 2005. 

Lol yikes, I had forgotten that the graphic novel had been based on his original script. I misremembered the artist (Kent Williams) as also being the writer.

But the graphic novel and Williams's visuals were created when the film's initial production had been cancelled. So the GN came before the film.

He shopped the story to Vertigo Comics and met comic book artist Kent Williams, whose illustrations impressed him. Aronofsky hired Williams to create the graphic novel, and Ari Handel, co-writer for the film, provided Williams with research, photographs, and images on "Mayans, astronomy, pulsars, and all kinds of cool stuff" for the graphic novel's design. Aronofsky gave Williams the freedom to interpret the story as the artist saw fit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Is the Filmstage considered a serious website ?

Are they on RT/MC ?

Are they run by 13 year olds ?

If you google a publication + RT or MC you will find their profile if they have one with all their reviews (and sometime they will have a profile saying that they are not RT reviewers, etc...).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/source-2305/

http://www.metacritic.com/publication/the-film-stage

https://thefilmstage.com/reviews/mother-review-darren-aronofsky-jennifer-lawrence-tiff/

The ideas may be big, but Aronofsky’s brain is still as small as it’s always been, leaving mother! as an exercise in watching someone drive their one, ridiculous idea straight off the tallest cliff imaginable. It’s one of the most insane things to grace multiplex screens in years; it’s also one of the most ludicrous.

Not the worst review to get, if you are to fall down may as well be from the tallest cliff with the most insane thing.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I felt like Cloud Atlas was the movie Fountain wanted to be. 

The comparison is fair since both are very earnest and from directors that are thuddingly obvious about their themes, but I wouldn't put Cloud Atlas nowhere near the Fountain. I think it's a pretty good and very ambitious movie but it's a little clunky with the makeup stuff and its message is pretty much "HUMANITY, amirite?" with a bunch of we-are-all-connected new age philosophizing. I liked it very much though.

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I think Aronofksi owns the rights of Perfect Blue in America.

I heard Aronofsky bought the rights specifically because he wanted to use something from the film for Requiem. I'm not sure if it was music or a certain shot or characterization.

I probably already said this but the crescendo is really the most unique aspect of Aronofski s films.

I don't think there are other filmmakers that do them like him, any ideas ?

He s like buiding his castle slowly and, then, in the last half hour, you witness the most insane crescendo you ll ever see & hear.

mother! seems to be no exception.

I also see the word ludicrous a lot to describe mother! but it s also an Aronofksi s trait, he always loved grotesque, over the top imagery and in mother! he goes for broke it seems.

• Like 1

The Flick Filosopher is not enamored. 0/5 :tomatoes:

https://www.flickfilosopher.com/2017/09/mother-movie-review-wtf-stfu.html

I cannot recall the last time a film made me as angry as Darren Aronofsky’s mother! has. Maybe never. (Yes, the title is most emphatically with a lowercase “m” and an exclamation point. And yes, that’s emblematic of what’s making me so angry.) As mother! — *grrr* — unfurled over its two-hour runtime, I found myself actually clenching my jaw with ever-increasing fury as Aronofsky’s head wended its way further and further up his own cinematic ass only to declare just how delicious his farts smell.

Damn, this movie is polarizing

• Like 1

Slashfilm raves Jlaw in mother! :

Lawrence, unfortunately, is miscast in the lead. A talented actress in her own right, much of what Lawrence’s character does here depends on internalization, and the actress seems incapable of getting the nuanced complexities across. Instead, she spends almost the entire film rushing from one scene to the next and whimpering at other characters, repeating phrases like “Stop!” and “What are you doing?!” and “No, wait!” over and over again, to the point that it begins to become exhausting. Not helping things are the scenes that Lawrence shares with Pfeiffer, a phenomenal actress giving a delightfully wicked performance.

:lol:

• Like 1