WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

Obviously, people just love to shit on him for all the dumb things he's done but the guy was (is) pretty talented. That Spielberg story makes perfect sense for the time. Don't let your opinion of what he's become cloud what he was ten years ago.

Agreed. The guy's been good in stuff like Disturbia, Bobby, Fury, etc. 

But his personal mishaps are seriously threatening his future in the business. It's almost Lohan territory. 

Hanks needs a movie where he fucks a student and kills her and then tries to drown his wife when she finds out, like Harrison Ford. It's time for him to shed his good guy image. 

He's 60 (about). He's probably good with the direction of his career at this point.

And he still bags Sienna Miller.

Used to bag. They've been splits for years (a perk of being married, Mrs Wrath reads People and whatnot, so she keeps me up to date on celebrity gossip).

I used to live in NYC around the corner from the restaurant Balthazaar. I saw them eating croissants one morning. He looks kinda funny in real life, but she was astoundingly smoking. Saw Claire Danes a few weeks later first thing in the morning on a Saturday and I thought she was a random woman in her early 50s.

• Like 1

Used to bag. They've been splits for years (a perk of being married, Mrs Wrath reads People and whatnot, so she keeps me up to date on celebrity gossip).

I used to live in NYC around the corner from the restaurant Balthazaar. I saw them eating croissants one morning. He looks kinda funny in real life, but she was astoundingly smoking. Saw Claire Danes a few weeks later first thing in the morning on a Saturday and I thought she was a random woman in her early 50s.

Claire Danes doesn't have the conventional Hollywood look that's for sure.

I usually enjoy her work though.

• Like 1

I'm wondering Goosebumps' legs will be like.

Family movies in October usually get at least a 2.5 multiplier if not better.

I might lose my "under 70 m domestic" bet.

I can see Goosebumps falling hard after October is over. It could have done better if released during the first week of October, but that would gone up against Hotel Transylvania 2.

Sony probably decided to protect their HT brand with the better release date for that, but Goosebumps did get two weekends before Halloween, so you can't say it got a terrible release date.

Lmao.

Del Toro makes movies he personally wants to watch kind of like the Wachowski's but Del Toro's movies usually break even and the Wachowski's flat out bomb.

It also helps that del Toro can still make lower budgeted fare.

Edited by FancyArcher

I don't understand it. You've got Spielberg, you've got Hanks and you've got superb reviews - a 93% RT rating... What more do the people need? What more do they want?

The movie might be great but the it looks as fun as doing economics homework.

Plus after The Man From UNCLE I'd say it's pretty much confirmed that audiences have zero interest in Cold War spy movies.

TY9ONxF.gif

I don't understand it. You've got Spielberg, you've got Hanks and you've got superb reviews - a 93% RT rating... What more do the people need? What more do they want?
It's a talky Cold War drama. Why the hell are some of you acting like Spies is some big action thriller that's not connecting?
  • Like 2

Claire Danes doesn't have the conventional Hollywood look that's for sure.

I usually enjoy her work though.

She was dressed to the nines but slightly rumpled, so my guess is that she was coming back from a late night (it was like 6 am, no idea why I was up at that horrible hour).  No one looks very good under those conditions, especially not someone you'd automatically assume to be beautiful. Her skin looked surprisingly wrinkly with, I assume, no make up.

I used to work for a consulting firm and one time early on I had a project manager who was model-grade attractive (she was smart and competent and all that, but that's not really relevant for this story). It wasn't so much that she was beautiful, though she certainly was quite pretty, it was that she had incredible skin. Someone asked her about it one time, and she said apparently she had super dry skin. The result was that during the day she looked really good, but as soon as she got tired she instantly looked 10 years older. She said it was nice then (she was in her early 30s), but she expected to age *really* fast.

Anyway, Claire Danes kinda made me think of that.