kayumanggi

Weekend estimates: 15.90 M THE MARTIAN | 15.50 M GOOSEBUMPS | 11.37 M BOS | 10.83 M TLWH | 9.00 M HT II | 8.20 M PA: TGD | 7.27 M STEVE JOBS

Hasbro has two successful franchises (Transformers, Ouija).

One moderately successful franchise (GI Joe).

And two flops (Jem and Battleship).

Upcoming films: My Little Pony, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Tonka, Magic the Gathering, Play-doh, Beyblade, Monopoly and Dungeons and Dragons.

Magic the Gathering :mellow: 

I have a feeling that wuld be huge

Small

No toys produced in decades, and only one TV show from the 80s. The difference between Jem and other stuff like Transformers is simple, Transformers has always been around, building new fans.

i don't think Hasbro is even supporting this movie.

Transformers has a somewhat broad and passionate fanbase with huge spectacle unique to the franchise. Those are things the rest of Hasbro's catalog is severely lacking.

The best they can do is make smaller movies that appeal to the general audience and hope they break out like Ouija.

Battleship and Jem had very limited appeal. They were cheap knock offs of other genre films and the public wasn't biting.

Saw Burnt today. Bradley Cooper was great in the role but the movie itself isn't very good. It will do poor numbers next weekend DOM. Anything over 5M and they can thank Bradley Cooper's draw power.

Apparently the Jem movie has a post credit scene setting up the sequel. Hilarious.

They could have really played on nostalgia for fans who watched the show in the 80s and have kids of their own now, instead they made this abomination.

• Like 3

They probably thought Steve Jobs would be The Social Network, Part 2 though TSN got overtaken for awards glory by The Kings' Speech, so yeah, a later release date might have led to a better result on two fronts.

Or, there have been enough movies and docs about Jobs as it is.

Argo, Twelve Years a Slave and Birdman (the three most recent best picture winners) all got released in October. The excuses flying around here really are not making any sense. 

• Like 1

Saw Burnt today. Bradley Cooper was great in the role but the movie itself isn't very good. It will do poor numbers next weekend DOM. Anything over 5M and they can thank Bradley Cooper's draw power.

Considering the combined presence of Cooper and a bunch of other famous faces couldn't even lift Aloha past a $10M opening, I can't even fathom how poorly Burnt is gonna open.

This weekend is mostly crappy but not surprising. The four openers bombing could be seen coming from miles away.

• Like 1

Apparently the Jem movie has a post credit scene setting up the sequel. Hilarious.

They could have really played on nostalgia for fans who watched the show in the 80s and have kids of their own now, instead they made this abomination.

I love mega bombs having post credits scenes. Apparently Last Witch Hunter spends a huge amount of time setting up a sequel as well. And I lmao pretty hard every time I think Battleship had an after credits scene as well.

• Like 4

I love mega bombs having post credits scenes. Apparently Last Witch Hunter spends a huge amount of time setting up a sequel as well. And I lmao pretty hard every time I think Battleship had an after credits scene as well.

Franchise pics almost always have post credit scenes, a 5M budgeted movie which ignores everything about the source material having one is weird.

• Like 1

Franchise pics almost always have post credit scenes, a 5M budgeted movie which ignores everything about the source material having one is weird.

They were expecting this to be a new Pitch Perfect. 

There's a long and storied history of flops teasing a follow-up that will never happen.

buckaroosequel2.jpg

masters-of-the-universe-post-credits.jpg

picture-34.png

I find it so funny that this trend actually predates the modern would-be-franchise-mania by 20-30 years (including the occasional use of post-credit teasers!)

Edited by TServo2049