Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Both of Thor and Justice League hype are   Insignificant compared to the power of Star Wars. 

But Thor was always at the top of those trailer views/social media/Comscore(?) lists. Its average opening (for a superhero movie at the moment) certainly puts those in perspective.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But Thor was always at the top of those trailer views/social media/Comscore(?) lists. Its average opening (for a superhero movie at the moment) certainly puts those in perspective.

13th highest (likely) OW ever for a SH movie out of more than 40 in the last decade alone, for a Thor movie no less, is average? I'd like whatever it is smoking. That shit mist be good. 

And yes Thor dominated buzz (during non SW news weeks) and it clearly translated into a huge weekend for a Thor movie. SS last year had insane buzz, second only to TFA and it opened to far less than that and many other movies. Was that opening disappointing to you too?

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

[mod edit]

So 120+ million, literally on the high end (or close to it) of expectations, is "so so", now?

I bet my ass that if Justice League opened to those numbers, you'd be like "That number is huge and amazing, one of the biggest OW of the year, all of you are morons for putting your expectations too high".

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

13th highest (likely) OW ever for a SH movie out of more than 40 in the last decade alone, for a Thor movie no less, is average? I'd like whatever it is smoking. That shit mist be good.

"At the moment" isn't the last decade, opening at ~$120M is nothing special for a superhero movie in 2017.

What does it being a Thor movie have to do with its opening compared to the social media buzz?

Edited by MrGlass2

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

"At the moment" isn't the last decade, opening at ~$120M is nothing special for a superhero movie in 2017.

What does it being a Thor movie have to do with its opening compared to the social media buzz?

:dunce: A 120 opening would be the 2nd highest for a SH movie for this year and the 4th highest for the year. Literally WHAT are you smoking?

And it being a Thor movie has everything to do with the Buzz. If it didnt have that much buzz it wouldnt have been on track to open nearly 40% higher than its predecessor which is one of the highest jump for a SH sequel ever. And a possible 35% jump on Dom gross over Thor 2 which again is one of the highest for a SH movie ever (a bigger jump than what Guardians 2 managed over Guardians 1 which is one of the leggiest and highely acclaimed SH movie of all time. Compared to Thor 3 which is following the least acclaimed MCU movie ever). How is this so difficult to understand?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

:dunce: A 120 opening would be the 2nd highest for a SH movie for this year and the 4th highest for the year. Literally WHAT are you smoking?

I don't know if you have noticed, but the genre is rather popular at the moment. The average for superhero movies OW in 2017 so far is $113.5M. After the release of JL, Thor 3's opening with be literally average.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGamer2558 said:

Since I got around to seeing Thor, I'll add my rankings:

Logan: 9.5/10

WW: 9/10

SM:H: 8.25/10

Thor: 7.5/10

Guardians 2: 7/10

WW: 9/10

Logan: 8/10

GOTG2: 6/10

SMH: 5/10

THOR3: 2/10

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So 120+ million, literally on the high end (or close to it) of expectations, is "so so", now?

I bet my ass that if Justice League opened to those numbers, you'd be like "That number is huge and amazing, one of the biggest OW of the year, all of you are morons for putting your expectations too high".

There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between Thor and the world's biggest and best superhero team. 

One should be over the moon about 120M, another should be aiming at AT LEAST 165M. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raegr said:

There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between Thor and the world's biggest and best superhero team. 

One should be over the moon about 120M, another should be aiming at AT LEAST 165M. 

No problem.  The next Avengers is going to open to much more than $165m 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, raegr said:

I know, dude. Of course 120M is excellent for Ragnarok while JLA should be seeing 150M as its floor (165, after Batman V Superman? I don't know about that as the minimum).

I'm just saying: some people are such hypocrites that they probably would be celebrating if Justice League had an OW of the exact same kind (120M or so) and gotten themselves thread-banned for insulting people who dared to say that number was underwhelming. I mean, if 120M is "so-so" for Thor fucking 3, then I don't know what to tell you, apart from "you don't know that much about box office or you're letting your clear fanboy bias cloud your judgment to painfully salty levels".

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Social media buzz doesn't immediately equate a massive 200+ opening weekend or anything like that. At the end of the day, this is still a Thor threequel with the Hulk in it - Iron Man 2 OW numbers (128) would be considered a small overperformance for it, as literally the high end of expectations for Ragnarok was 125. If it hits 120M, it's pretty damn close to that high end.

I mean, just for perspective, there's a reason why people didn't predict It to hit anywhere close to 123M on OW alone, despite destroying social media in terms of buzz (including the highest viewed trailer ever in 24hrs): because it was still an R-rated horror movie, and as far as those are concerned, anything over 40M OW would be considered massive. Most predictions for It were at around 70M OW, and that was already seen as a record destroyer. Only a handful of Nostradamus'es saw the 100+ OW coming, and even they lowballed It.

Another example: a movie like Blade Runner 2049 was seen as an underperformer from the get go; HOWEVER, in a scenario where it would have opened to, say, 50M OW (just below Gravity and The Martian), people would be over the moon for that number. Because the high end of expectations for 2049 was 45 to 50M OW. Now, does it mean that 2049's opening would be nothing special at all, compared to the openings of, say, Wonder Woman, GOTG V2, etc., all of which opened to at least 2x 50M? Perhaps, but at the same time, not really. 2049 didn't have to perform like those movies (and it didn't, but again, this is a "what if" scenario - although, let's be honest, it kinda should have if it wanted any shot at being financially successful). And would a 50M opening be nothing special compared to Gravity or The Martian's openings? No, of course not. Cause 2049 hit the high end of expectations, and that in of itself was already supremely positive.

And yes, for a superhero movie in 2017, 120M is nothing all that special. That is true. But when it comes down to it, it depends on WHAT superhero movie it is, and this one is Thor 3. Gotta remember that neither of the previous 2 Thor movies were all that successful. The 1st one grossed around 190M DOM, and the 2nd one increased to over 200M, but not by much despite the post-Avengers 1 boost, and with mediocre to bad wom to boot. For Ragnarok to have such an increase over both of the entries, both in wom and numbers, is something that's actually not seen all that often in trilogies.

That's the reason why 120M is seen as great for a movie like this. It's all on the context of the movie itself. Like I said, if Justice League opened to around 145M (around the same as Guardians 2), would you be disappointed or happy with that number, even though it is much bigger than Ragnarok's opening regardless?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I know, dude. Of course 120M is excellent for Ragnarok while JLA should be seeing 150M as its floor (165, after Batman V Superman? I don't know about that as the minimum).

I'm just saying: some people are such hypocrites that they probably would be celebrating if Justice League had an OW of the exact same kind (120M or so) and gotten themselves thread-banned for insulting people who dared to say that number was underwhelming. I mean, if 120M is "so-so" for Thor fucking 3, then I don't know what to tell you, apart from "you don't know that much about box office or you're letting your clear fanboy bias cloud your judgment to painfully salty levels".

I didn't say Thor had a so so opening I said it was not the opening some fans here were expecting because Disney tricked them and the media into thinking this movie was more anticipated than it actually was.

120 million is excellent for a bad movie.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I didn't say Thor had a so so opening I said it was not the opening some fans here were expecting because Disney tricked them and the media into thinking this movie was more anticipated than it actually was.

120 million is excellent for a bad movie.

No $166M is impressive for a bad movie.