Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

I think WB -- and any new director they hire -- need to realize all of these characters have different personalities.  Their movies shouldn't all feel the same.  If you attempt to make everyone a brooding, isolated jackass, it doesn't WORK

Isn't that what they're doing now? Shazam & Joker are like 6 months apart, and Birds of Prey & WW84 are 4 months apart, and they all might as well (or do in Joker's case) take place in different universes with how tonally different they look.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar size release today would make 3.5b at least... Check Avatar thread for analysis

Given that similar claims for GWTW were dismissed, I'm gonna take this as a joke I don't get. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Given that similar claims for GWTW were dismissed, I'm gonna take this as a joke I don't get. 

Doesn't make sense GWTW from too long ago and re released 11 times in completely different eras. Time before home video etc etc.

Avatar was a released 9 years ago and much easier comparisons can be made.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

I would very much like to see that analysis, because considering the exchange rates, inflation, change in movie-viewing, I don't see it happen.

Go in the avatar thread its by NCsoft

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

I would very much like to see that analysis, because considering the exchange rates, inflation, change in movie-viewing, I don't see it happen.

He's not being serious imo. I will even be nice and say 600 for China for an original. Exchange rates murder Europe and many others. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Some people still do not realize how bloated was Avatar because of ERs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Go refute NCsofts posts then

I can give a very simple example:

Spain

Avatar sold 9.5 million admissions

Today Euro/Dollar ER=1.13

77*1.13=$87m, what means $23m lower just in Spain. You can apply the same to the whole Eurozone.

Do you want to talk about inflation? Today average ticket price in Spain is €6.5, tipically €1m more in 3D showtimes. Even if EVERY ticket sold had been in 3D we would be talking about:

9.5 million*7.5 = €71.25m what means $80.5m, $29.5m lower than the original gross.

And this is just one country...

Edited by peludo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Go refute NCsofts posts then

His post is delusional and incredibly inaccurate. Absolute best case scenario for Avatar in China as a complete unknown would be 800 million and that seems near impossible. Perhaps the sequel might hit 1 billion also could do 600m.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

He's not being serious imo. I will even be nice and say 600 for China for an original. Exchange rates murder Europe and many others. 

It is acceptable that China will do over $600 million easily for Avatar 2 but one thing everyone seems to forget is the two reasons Avatar worked were;

1. Visual Revolution (this was big)

2. Word of Mouth

Now for sequel to work, it must create curiosity for what happens next, connection with original should drive the film initially before word of mouth start doing its job. Now with development of CGI today, Avatar is just another CGI film today. Never have I ever met anyone in awe with characters or story of Avatar, it was always its visual masterpiece. The identity of Avatar is highest grossing film of all time and that's only hook for sequel for me, to see how it tops first one. Nothing else.

So it all depend on the word of mouth IMO because this time I don't see the visuals driving the film that high. With 3D dying in West, that's another negative that sequel has to face.

Besides I don't know if this is the case in rest of world, but in India a certain sector of trade has Avatar at $17mn Approx, while Fox officially has film at $24.5mn. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, peludo said:

Spain

77*1.13=$87m, what means $23m lower just in Spain. You can apply the same to the whole Eurozone.

Do you want to talk about inflation? Today average ticket price in Spain is €6.5, tipically €1m more in 3D showtimes. Even if EVERY ticket sold had been in 3D we would be talking about:

9.5 million*7.5 = €71.25m what means $80.5m, $29.5m lower than the original gross.

In morning today, I was checking for top admits in China. Titanic 3D had ¥46 ATP (The Avengers ¥40) in 2012 while FF8 was around ¥35 and Endgame is at ¥50.5. I assume that was the case with Avatar as well.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 3

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

Spain

OK, lower in euro one but extra 500m from China.

Extra from Asia and Latin American markets extra 200 300 there

US inflation, extra 100m

Global inflation etc etc.

An Avatar sized performance today would be well over 3b.

Take this to the Avatar thread if you think you so tuff huh buddy

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

OK, lower in euro one but extra 500m from China.

Extra from Asia and Latin American markets extra 200 300 there

US inflation, extra 100m

Global inflation etc etc.

An Avatar sized performance today would be well over 3b.

Take this to the Avatar thread if you think you so tuff huh buddy

US is going down big due to 3D factor. Canada I won't be surprised if is even 40-50% down due to 3D and Exchange rates.

• Like 4

It's easy to estimate the amount of tickets sold for a particular movie and then assume that it would sell that same amount of tickets at a completely different time.

Avatar came out at the right time to do what it did.  Would it do the exact same thing again were it released today?  Maybe, but there's no guarantee.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2