Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

6 hours ago, TMP said:

Joker and It 2 will probably make the top 10 worldwide

I doubt that on both counts. Joker is a wildcard, but it doesn’t seem like it’ll have much of a draw overseas. Also, I get the impression that Joaquin Phoenix’s association with Casey Affleck will probably bite him in the ass as the film gets closer to release, which could impact its performance. As for It Chapter 2, the first film already adapted the most iconic parts of the book, and the second film won’t be able to get by in the Stranger Things comparisons.

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I doubt that on both counts. Joker is a wildcard, but it doesn’t seem like it’ll have much of a draw overseas. Also, I get the impression that Joaquin Phoenix’s association with Casey Affleck will probably bite him in the ass as the film gets closer to release, which could impact its performance. As for It Chapter 2, the first film already adapted the most iconic parts of the book, and the second film won’t be able to get by in the Stranger Things comparisons.

Joker is probably gonna do $300m domestic, so I don't know why it couldn't make the top 10 worldwide? $800m should be within reach, so I don't know how it'd miss it unless Asia full on despises it. Also, Joaquin has never had any allegations levied against him, and his association with Casey would probably land him in as much hot water as Matt Damon, unless something truly surprising came out.

Also, It Chapter 2 is also the conclusion/finale to the series, so I don't see it dropping a la Deadpool 2.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Joker is probably gonna do $300m domestic, so I don't know why it couldn't make the top 10 worldwide? $800m should be within reach, so I don't know how it'd miss it unless Asia full on despises it. Also, Joaquin has never had any allegations levied against him, and his association with Casey would probably land him in as much hot water as Matt Damon, unless something truly surprising came out.

Also, It Chapter 2 is also the conclusion/finale to the series, so I don't see it dropping a la Deadpool 2.

500M OS for a solo Joker movie that isnt connected to any of the other DC movies?

Seems very unrealistic to me. Wonder Womans 400M is my absolute high-end for the film OS.

Just now, Brainbug said:

500M OS for a solo Joker movie that isnt connected to any of the other DC movies?

Seems very unrealistic to me. Wonder Womans 400M is my absolute high-end for the film OS.

I just feel like it could really break out in Europe and maybe Latin America. Especially if it ends up being as well received by the general audience as that trailer was

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Phoenix didn’t have a lawsuit filed against him, but the lawsuit against Affleck did allege that he and Phoenix locked a woman out of her hotel room so they could use it for sex. That could potentially land him in some pretty hot water. 

Just now, TMP said:

I just feel like it could really break out in Europe and maybe Latin America. Especially if it ends up being as well received by the general audience as that trailer was

Im all for more hope and such but this film reminds me of Logan: An iconic character that gets his own R-Rated movie relatively outside its main franchise. Also while the Joker is beloved in the US, im unsure about that beeing the case in Latin America and especially in Europe. But as always, well see when the numbers arrive.

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

I don't see how Joker would do well in Asia at all. Will it even get a China release? (assuming it's rated R). This movie is more of a character study that just happens to have a popular comic book character in it. Both these numbers seem super unrealistic to me.

Just now, nevermore said:

I don't see how Joker would do well in Asia at all. Will it even get a China release? (assuming it's rated R). This movie is more of a character study that just happens to have a popular comic book character in it. Both these numbers seem super unrealistic to me.

I feel like the trailer views show that there's definitely very strong interest for this film. Also, I wouldn't doubt the popularity of the Joker + the October/Halloween release schedule it has to itself.

9 hours ago, TMP said:

Joker and It 2 will probably make the top 10 worldwide

Not in any particular order

Endgame

Episode 9

Frozen 2

The Lion King

Captain Marvel

Spiderman Far From Home

Jumanji 3

Toy Story 4

The Secret Life of Pets 2

Hobbs and Shaw

Aladdin

All of these have very strong chance of outgrossing both Joker and IT2. 

Detective Pikachu on the other hand will definitely be in the top 10 worldwide. 

Edited by ZeeSoh

Watches GOT.

Watches Pitch Blackness for The Big Finale Battle That's Been Hyped For Years.

Me:

giphy.gif

Trent Opaloch and the Russos would never do this to me.  It's fucking Solo all over again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

No one does. Disney can't be beat this year. 

Patience is key. WB has some pretty exciting things lined up for the next few years whereas, for all we know, Disney may peak this year. It really depends on what their sub-studios - Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios - have in the pipeline. We literally know NOTHING at this point except for Onward from Pixar next year. Besides that, we only know what their own in-house studio - Walt Disney Pictures - is doing (Jungle Cruise, Mulan etc.).

11 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Patience is key. WB has some pretty exciting things lined up for the next few years whereas, for all we know, Disney may peak this year. It really depends on what their sub-studios - Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios - have in the pipeline. We literally know NOTHING at this point except for Onward from Pixar next year. Besides that, we only know what their own in-house studio - Walt Disney Pictures - is doing (Jungle Cruise, Mulan etc.).

I think one of Warner Bros' strength is smaller projects in addition to the tentpoles. You only have to look at things like A Star is Born or Crazy Rich Asians to see that. 

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think one of Warner Bros' strength is smaller projects in addition to the tentpoles. You only have to look at things like A Star is Born or Crazy Rich Asians to see that. 

Agreed. They're the kings of the non tentpole hits. Something like American Sniper is a good example. Gravity. It (although that may count as a tentpole, I'm not sure). Non-franchise hits maybe is a better term.

Edited by JB33

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Agreed. They're the kings of the non tentpole hits. Something like American Sniper is a good example. Gravity. It (although that may count as a tentpole, I'm not sure). Non-franchise hits maybe is a better term.

Anything by Christopher Nolan really, it's great they take a punt on things like Dunkirk or Inception which are $100m+ films with no intention of being a franchise.