Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

7 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

...Why is everyone going on about Mousehunt? It was a shitty movie.

Because it's a Verbinski Original, and TOG is not practicing what he's been preaching. Too busy trying to kill every joke made by someone on the forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Verbinski is not a perfect director.... hell, I don't know if I'd call him a phenomenal director by any means, but he's very talented, creative and versatile, and I admire that in any filmmaker. Sure, he tends to put more effort on the style than the substance, but I find his movies entertaining for the most part.

The Ring, POTC 1 and Rango are all great, and I think worth giving him a pass for whatever mistakes he makes in his career going forward. I also enjoy POTC 2, even if don't love it. POTC 3 is flawed like a motherfucker, but again, I can't say I was bored watching it, so there's that. Lone Ranger, while not the worst movie ever by any means, is pretty boring and basic... but again, can't say it lacked creativity, that's for sure.

I've not seen such visionary works as Cure For Wellness or MouseHunt tho :ph34r:

Even though I dont like Joss Whedon and hated Justice League, I dont think its fair to attack him on social media like a lot of DC fans are doing. He was hired to do this thing this way, its not really his fault. Its like the haters blaming Snyder for the darker tone of MOS and BVS - it was what WB wanted and asked him to do. If Whedon refused it would have been somebody else and the ruination of it all would still happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Fox boss James Murdoch could be next Disney CEO in possible merger – report

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/05/disney-james-murdoch-21st-century-fox-ceo?CMP=share_btn_tw

this-deal-is-getting-worse-all-the-time.

I think they know what they're doing. They aren't going to replace Iger with someone who could jeopardize all of these properties. 

• Like 1

The Guardian article is pretty much a  nothing burger;the Guardian hates the Murdochs (with good reason) but tends to be a bit paranoid about them.

There would be massive stockholder resistencet at Disney to a Murdoch taking over as CEO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

Budget are not necessarily based on what the movie is expected to do (you can have to pay people a lot if they expect to be working on a movie that will make a lot and you need them, sequel notably), but how much that story need to cost to make a good movie with a good trailer for that story on screen (and those who cost too much for what they are expected to make are just not made)

50 shades was expected to make a lot more than Deepwater Horizon, they didn't spent less on it because they expected that movie to make less, they spend less on it because you spend as little as you need to and you need more for Deepwater Horizon destruction spectacle out of the sea platform than for 50 Shades. Dp-2 cost a lot more because everyone involved is now paid a fortune. They cannot change budget looking at expecting risk, you cannot make a cheap Jupiter Ascending, Gravity or a Master & Commander movie because they are extremely risky movie, they are not those movie if you cut their budget anymore, you take a bigger risk on them (or you do not make them).

They spend a certain amount on Baby Driver because the director asked 55m gross to tell that story not necessarily based on what they expected the movie to do that was their take on it in the leaked email:

Does sony have to lose this to mrc if modi outbids tom? Edgar is one of the people we should have in our tent even if this one is scary at 45, it’s still getaway driver action with music and humor and he will be loyal to whomever makes this forever. Even if this one breaks even or is a loss leader he is someone who writes scripts with joe cornish and creates content and has the pop mainstream sensibility we like. Did Tom run numbers, have sales guys read? I don’t want Edgar locked in at mrc over us

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/33059

That saw that movie like a loss leader and would be happy with it even if it break even or loss money, because it would attract director and more build a relation with a director (and director friends) they love what they do.

Not sure who said that we should expect studio to loose money for "art", but we can expect studio to expect to loose money on some movies in their annual slate, because of the inherent risk that movies should be, if we want to have anything that is not a proven formula on screen.

I apologize because I can't quite understand what you are saying.   You appear to be citing outlier movies as proof that studios don't spend less on movies that are expected to make less.    You did point out that they won't make them at all if they have to spend too much on a movie that won't make enough to justify that type of budget.

Again...I don't think it's just a coincidence that R rated movies have lower budgets than the PG-13 tent pole movies.

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Fox boss James Murdoch could be next Disney CEO in possible merger – report

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/05/disney-james-murdoch-21st-century-fox-ceo?CMP=share_btn_tw

this-deal-is-getting-worse-all-the-time.

Ewww....why would Disney want the Fox stink on their stuff?