grey ghost

How good would TFA need to be to live up to the hype?

I have a job, friends, am politically active. Not saying I don't have my problems, but I feel as if I'm a reasonably adjusted young adult. And I love SW. If it isn't for you, that's cool, you don't have to like SW. But it's real easy to criticize a group of fans as man-children when you're sitting behind a screen typing away at a keyboard. Who cares? If you like it, great, if you don't, you don't. Just because someone likes something doesn't mean they are somehow contributing to the demise of western civilization. That's a pretty overwrought thing to say, and is a dangerous way of looking at the world.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Just because someone likes something doesn't mean they are somehow contributing to the demise of western civilization. That's a pretty overwrought thing to say, and is a dangerous way of looking at the world.

That's totally disingenuous to the fact that SW has totally shaped and morphed Hollywood's industry, american mass entertainment/movie culture and its hegemonic influence onto the western world and formatted how we consume it in the last 40 years still to this day, by cattering to the lowest denominator, to turn everything into sequel-ized/prequel-ied/remakes/rebooted franchises ad vitam eternam being focus grouped to death to sell toys and massive merchandising tie-ins that regressively turn everyone into a toddler compulsively buying cheap items made in Asia in poor human conditions.("Force Friday" is pathetic in that regard).

Yeah, liking SW and making it a mass cultural behemoth contributed to this whether you admit it or not with the aforementionned consequences.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BK007 said:

Having a family and a job are not signs of growing up. There are man children everywhere. People who fail to ever realise their social responsibilities never grow up. 

Given your misogynistic and misanthropic attitude, I'd say, you have not grown up. You're petty, stuck in this cycle of the "bro", ultimately completely controlled by society's expectations of you. You are almost the perfect product of the failures of the system of governance. All you have to do is realise it and do something about it. Chances are you won't, given my experience of your posts, but there's always a first time. Assholes aren't above anything, they are stuck in a pathetic, self-affirming, delusional and hateful purgatory. Good luck. 

Ah well, im still living a great life on great money with a great house, car and girlfriend. Im sure ill be alright. Its ironic you say this given all your posts tend to be far more aggressive than mine, its like you see me as competition more than anything lol.

Anyways I thought you'd put me on ignore? No-one wants to listen to your shit, especially me so please put me back on your ignore list, thanks in advance kiddo.

2 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

That's totally disingenuous to the fact that SW has totally shaped and morphed Hollywood's industry, american mass entertainment/movie culture and its hegemonic influence onto the western world and formatted how we consume it in the last 40 years still to this day, by cattering to the lowest denominator, to turn everything into sequel-ized/prequel-ied/remakes/rebooted franchises ad vitam eternam being focus grouped to death to sell toys and massive merchandising tie-ins that regressively turn everyone into a toddler compulsively buying cheap items made in Asia in poor human conditions.("Force Friday" is pathetic in that regard).

Yeah, liking SW and making it a mass cultural behomoth contributed to this whether you admit it or not with the aforementionned consequences.

LOL, so what you're saying is if it wasn't for the stamp star wars left 40 years ago, we wouldn't be getting remakes and sequels appealing to the lowest common detonator today, films like Mad Max Fury Road you mean? Your favourite film of the year? :rolleyes: I assume you're not watching TFA opening weekend right? Going by your nonsense im not going to expect to find your review in TFA thread in a months time? Because if I do you are getting so much shit.

Also Dash, you seem to forget the debate we had about 2 years ago, and I remember you defending star wars to the point where it angered you when I said LOTR was better. So basically Dash either you've 'grown up' in the last 2 years or you're just full of shit, seems like the latter to me.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jessie said:

LOL, so what you're saying is if it wasn't for the stamp star wars left 40 years ago, we wouldn't be getting remakes and sequels appealing to the lowest common detonator today, films like Mad Max Fury Road you mean? Your favourite film of the year? :rolleyes: I assume you're not watching TFA opening weekend right? Going by your nonsense im not going to expect to find your review in TFA thread in a months time? Because if I do you are getting so much shit.

MMFR appealing to the lowest common denominator? You're hilarious. In MMFR thread, you spout bullshit how much MMFR is a niche thing that isn't popular in the real world but only worshipped by this elitist board's members then now it appeals to the lowest common denominator like SW?! Bitch please. MMFR is a R-rated movie, how could it appeal to a four quadrant audience and be popular among the masses that never gave a shit or even know about MM now and then? You're a flip-flopper full of shit when it suits your agenda, not that surprising coming from a Bayformers fanboy.

I've never seen MM toys and gadgets nor MM advertising in my mall, MM trading cards being handed to me by poor cashiers that have a shitload on their hands urging me to collect those and put them  in an MM album I should purchase even if I don't give a rat ass, big-ass MM ads plastered on a tramway, MM being printed on the spam ads of every retailing companies in my mailbox, MM being shoved into every commercials and tie-ins to ensure the maximum exposure to every single demographics as humanly possible. But damn sure it is happening with SW right now and it's just the tip of the iceberg. (I'm sure they also produced merchandising to catter to dogs and cats at this point). So comparing the two in terms of gearing, target, impact and marketing is totally dishonest. Especially when you know that Miller, the creator and owner of the Mad Max movie series, was writing and planning this movie on his own for 15 years and went through hell to get it done against all odds (everybody expected a disaster even the main starring guy) while showing those Hollywood young guns fanboys reveling in nostalgia the way it's done, MMFR wasn't a giant toy commercial made in a hurry by a corporate committee just after striking a juicy deal to appease  greedy shareholders. I don't think we're going to contemplate endless MM movies and spin-offs cracked by Disney's factory until the end of days from now on like SW. It's not about moviemaking anymore, it's about brand and synergetic assets management.

And of course I'm not seeing this on opening weekend. I'm sticking to my guns. Enjoy your conforming "grown-up" entertainment.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah, liking SW and making it a mass cultural behemoth contributed to this whether you admit it or not with the aforementionned consequences.

I do agree with you that SW changed Hollywood forever, it is not solely responsible for what came after it. If every blockbuster was as well-made as ANH and ESB, I wouldn't complain. I just think you are taking this too seriously, and if SW wasn't around to "commercialize" Hollywood and the western world (something that was well underway when SW was released), something else would have.  SW was a perfect storm however, which I believe is your point, and I won't deny the fact that it was/is an important cultural touchstone. IMO, you're honestly taking all of this way too seriously. I do understand where you're coming from, I just think you're attributing it to the wrong place. I don't agree with your opinion and I know you don't agree with mine, so let's just agree to disagree.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

MMFR appealing to the lowest common denominator? You're hilarious. In MMFR thread, you spout bullshit how much MMFR is a niche thing that isn't popular in the real world but only worshipped by this elitist board's members then now it appeals to the lowest common denominator like SW?! Bitch please. MMFR is a R-rated movie, how could it appeal to a four quadrant audience and be popular among the masses that never gave a shit or even know about MM now and then? You're a flip-flopper full of shit when it suits your agenda, not that surprising coming from a Bayformers fanboy.

I've never seen MM toys and gadgets nor MM advertising in my mall, MM trading cards being handed to me by poor cashiers that have a shitload on their hands urging me to collect those and put them  in an MM album I should purchase even if I don't give a rat ass, big-ass MM ads plastered on a tramway, MM being printed on the spam ads of every retailing companies in my mailbox, MM being shoved into every commercials and tie-ins to ensure the maximum exposure to every single demographics as humanly possible. But damn sure it is happening with SW right now and it's just the tip of the iceberg. (I'm sure they also produced merchandising to catter to dogs and cats at this point). So comparing the two in terms of gearing, target, impact and marketing is totally dishonest. Especially when you know that Miller, the creator and owner of the Mad Max movie series, was writing and planning this movie on his own for 15 years and went through hell to get it done against all odds (everybody expected a disaster even the main starring guy) while showing those Hollywood young guns fanboys reveling in nostalgia the way it's done, MMFR wasn't a giant toy commercial made in a hurry by a corporate committee just after striking a juicy deal to appease  greedy shareholders. I don't think we're going to contemplate endless MM movies and spin-offs cracked by Disney's factory until the end of days from now on like SW. It's not about moviemaking anymore, it's about brand and synergetic assets management.

And of course I'm not seeing this on opening weekend. I'm sticking to my guns. Enjoy your conforming "grown-up" entertainment.

Your words Dash, you were the one describing how remakes and sequels appeal to the lowest common denominator. FR isn't as popular with the average Joe than it is with you guys, that's undoubtedly true, and for the record I don't personally think it appeals to the lowest common denominator, I don't think many films do. Any person that says that about a film build for entertainment needs to sort their life out really. And Bravo and calling me a Bayformers fanboy, clutching at straws now aren't you lol, desperate measures I guess.

Again Dash, we don't care about how merchandising really pisses you off, you don't have to buy the products, as far as I can tell its mere presence is the only thing pissing you off,  how its so hard to just ignore it instead of letting it get to you? Clearly you need to be occupied on real life problems rather than this nonsense, you know, become a grown up ;) No point in letting something so irrelevant ruin your life. Instead of bitching like a typical hipster, why don't you do something smart and just purchase shares in Disney? probably too late now but surely that's the smart thing to do. Cant beat them, join them.

I call bullshit btw, I don't know how someone's opinion on a franchise can change so dramatically in the space of just 2 years. We all know you're watching it Dash, you are cleary a fan of the franchise whether you admit it now or not. No need to reply to this, there's only so much you can type before you completely embarrass yourself.

On December 2, 2015 at 1:52:51 AM, grey ghost said:

What social responsibilities are you referring to?

Being aware of one's actual footprint in the world.

We are perhaps less allowably insular than at any point in our history. So, yes, buying that new materialistic merchandise of American companies actually does have consequences around the world. It's not all about one country, person or thing. People do not see the checks and balances that everything they do or endorse entails. 

In my opinion, it is not very difficult to see this. The first step, is empathy. If we cannot see ourselves in another's shoes, we close ourselves off from reality. Because, the truth of the matter is, we could very much be in anyone else's shoes. 

On December 2, 2015 at 5:32:03 AM, Jayhawk said:

I have a job, friends, am politically active. Not saying I don't have my problems, but I feel as if I'm a reasonably adjusted young adult. And I love SW. If it isn't for you, that's cool, you don't have to like SW. But it's real easy to criticize a group of fans as man-children when you're sitting behind a screen typing away at a keyboard. Who cares? If you like it, great, if you don't, you don't. Just because someone likes something doesn't mean they are somehow contributing to the demise of western civilization. That's a pretty overwrought thing to say, and is a dangerous way of looking at the world.

I think it was me that called people "man children". Is it easy? I don't think it is. People live in a world of political correctness. Hard truths are avoided because feelings may be hurt. To deflect it to being a keyboard warrior, shows the difficulty of the situation, not the easiness. I would call it to your face, if you so matched the profile, because you need to hear it. Anyway, I am not saying you cannot love Star Wars. Neither am I saying that all Star Wars fans are jobless, friendless, apolitical or whatnot. 

It is undeniable, however, that there are a huge amount of people in this world who fit the profile dash has alluded to. They are not all Star Wars fans, but neither is Star Wars immune from criticism from a cultural and generational perspective, of which is more relevant to the world, than whether the movies are any good. The facts are, the vast majority of those people sucking on the teats of franchises like Star Wars and other vacuous franchise material have indeed been infantilized, sedated to reality by the distraction of fanboy material. It would not be as damning if there was integrity behind the messages, but that has not been the case for decades. The Disney movie may be good, but looking at the track record of Disney and its own company policies, it is not exactly a confidence booster. They have stripped the character bare of all their live action and animation movies to suit a demographic that rewards them with money. It's all a vicious cycle of bullshit. It is not that people cannot have their own hobbies and interests, but the fact that in the West and other developed nations, there are large amounts of people, who simply engage in these "universes" and even devote their entire lives and time to the pursuit of such goalless endeavours is concerning. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I think it was me that called people "man children". Is it easy? I don't think it is. People live in a world of political correctness. Hard truths are avoided because feelings may be hurt. To deflect it to being a keyboard warrior, shows the difficulty of the situation, not the easiness. I would call it to your face, if you so matched the profile, because you need to hear it. Anyway, I am not saying you cannot love Star Wars. Neither am I saying that all Star Wars fans are jobless, friendless, apolitical or whatnot.

It is undeniable, however, that there are a huge amount of people in this world who fit the profile dash has alluded to. They are not all Star Wars fans, but neither is Star Wars immune from criticism from a cultural and generational perspective, of which is more relevant to the world, than whether the movies are any good. The facts are, the vast majority of those people sucking on the teats of franchises like Star Wars and other vacuous franchise material have indeed been infantilized, sedated to reality by the distraction of fanboy material. It would not be as damning if there was integrity behind the messages, but that has not been the case for decades. The Disney movie may be good, but looking at the track record of Disney and its own company policies, it is not exactly a confidence booster. They have stripped the character bare of all their live action and animation movies to suit a demographic that rewards them with money. It's all a vicious cycle of bullshit. It is not that people cannot have their own hobbies and interests, but the fact that in the West and other developed nations, there are large amounts of people, who simply engage in these "universes" and even devote their entire lives and time to the pursuit of such goalless endeavours is concerning.

This is a fair criticism, even if I mostly disagree with it. I mainly had a problem with people calling all SW fans essentially losers. I think this dialogue is good, but just blindly throwing accusations at how SW is ruining the world is just as dangerous as those who, as you say, have become infantilized by SW and other so-called "fanboy" properties. SW isn't my entire life, but it is my favorite movie franchise, and it is something that I get a lot of enjoyment out of discussing and engaging with. I understand a lot of it is nostalgia, however irrational that may be. That being said, I have other, non-film related hobbies, and enjoy other, wildly different films. I think this is your and Dash's main criticisms, that many SW fans are too entrenched in fantasy to appreciate the problems that we have in the real world. And you are completely correct in saying SW should not be immune from criticism, whether it's about its cinematic virtues or its cultural omnipotence. I may not agree with you on that point, but I do respect your opinion. I just think it is wrong to paint with a very broad brush against SW fans, as many (most?) have jobs, families, and other interests. SW is something that brings them happiness (as well as temporarily distracting them from real-world problems, which isn't always a bad thing) so who am I or anyone else to fault them for that.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2015, 4:18:31, dashrendar44 said:

On 12/2/2015, 4:18:31, dashrendar44 said:

Look at Marvel and DC movies. They are basically giant toy commercials. Look another big movie Avatar. Back in 2009 there were toys everywhere and now it getting is own theme park.

• Like 1

There seems to be a fallacy here that says that if you are a fanboy of anything, then you have no interest in reality anymore. There may be some, even many, of such fanboys around - the ones oblivious about real world issues. However, I am guessing (based on anecdotes around me admittedly) that nerds and geeks actually know more about politics and human interest more than your average jocks. In order for criticism of fanboy culture not caring over societal issues to be valid, we need to have a proper study comparing them with the sports fan or the non-fans or the family man, none of which are exclusive from each other. I can only appeal to myself for now, and I do count myself among the nerds and borderline fanboy. My interest run from Star Wars to movies to music to history to politics to economics to philosophy to current affairs and so on. I am very happy to have conversations on any of those subjects. And just projecting myself to others, I am sure that it's not black and white of either being a fanboy or caring about societal issues. Most of us are grey areas of knowing the names of the planets in Star Wars and knowing the candidates running for US presidential election. 

To be crude about it, for me the ideal of each person is to produce more value in life than to consume it - and value does not mean only products and services but also interactions with others (i.e. taking care of children has value). Once that ideal is reached, I care not what people decide to spend their leisure time and hard-earned money on - Marvel, DC, Star Wars, history, WW2 history, LOTR, K-Pop, Anime, medieval reenactments, civil war reenactments, politics, etc. If you decide to spend it for societal issues to make a better world, great! If not, I can't force anyone to like anything. It only is a pity if life is spent only on consumption and not value-production. 

• Like 3

On 4.12.2015 02:31:55, Ajipon said:

There seems to be a fallacy here that says that if you are a fanboy of anything, then you have no interest in reality anymore. There may be some, even many, of such fanboys around - the ones oblivious about real world issues. However, I am guessing (based on anecdotes around me admittedly) that nerds and geeks actually know more about politics and human interest more than your average jocks. In order for criticism of fanboy culture not caring over societal issues to be valid, we need to have a proper study comparing them with the sports fan or the non-fans or the family man, none of which are exclusive from each other. I can only appeal to myself for now, and I do count myself among the nerds and borderline fanboy. My interest run from Star Wars to movies to music to history to politics to economics to philosophy to current affairs and so on. I am very happy to have conversations on any of those subjects. And just projecting myself to others, I am sure that it's not black and white of either being a fanboy or caring about societal issues. Most of us are grey areas of knowing the names of the planets in Star Wars and knowing the candidates running for US presidential election. 

To be crude about it, for me the ideal of each person is to produce more value in life than to consume it - and value does not mean only products and services but also interactions with others (i.e. taking care of children has value). Once that ideal is reached, I care not what people decide to spend their leisure time and hard-earned money on - Marvel, DC, Star Wars, history, WW2 history, LOTR, K-Pop, Anime, medieval reenactments, civil war reenactments, politics, etc. If you decide to spend it for societal issues to make a better world, great! If not, I can't force anyone to like anything. It only is a pity if life is spent only on consumption and not value-production. 

Still can't edit quotes, so excuse the long quote

1. the assumption that all older adults still loving Star Wars and it's toys.... are based on the age at the time of watching it is simply wrong, see my description of the then viewership, hence to still write ~ toy loving youth then, forgot the term = wrong, especially in its absolutism

2. toys... got cheap with the invention of making them out of the cheap to make mass-production possibilitties and materials then still rather new (in comparison to today) and more and more automatism

3. during depression, war times.... there was no mass toy sells possible, people needed money to feed their families and so on

4. Star Wars was not the first 'epos' that influenced the movie making (see Cleopatra, Gone with the Wind and many many more and older movies)

5. Cinema is not responsible nor even invented for the reasons to 'better' the society, it's quite the opposite

6. Cinema is not based on money-free voluntary work or similar

7. Even before Cinema there were mass-movements for spending money (as far as it was accessable for workers...) on 'not-needed-things', only because via the Depression, wars, invention, development in technology it was for a time less possible for people to spend money for not need things and later on got cheaper than ever = bigger changes does not mean ONE movie and its fans are solely responsible for all the changes

8. As Ajipon already added examples for 'being-in' alternative possibilities, I'll add toy trains with and without electricity (sp.?), toys to play cowboy and Indians in tons of countries there never were neither Cowboys nor Indians.... or Princesses or whatever. Or build war presentations, globetrotting all over the world (and buying a little Eiffel Tower or...), or spend more money for non-toy/cinema related things like buy cars then a lot more expensive per workers salary (younger people nowadays often do not even want to buy a car anymore, times change), or... art, furniture, carpets....

Are you even aware about sports events tickets often being way more expensive than a cinema ticket?

9. As Cinema got created it was also used for news.... one of the many reasons even poor people went to go there. For a time no alcohol in the US was allowed, also helped to still have some coins for a movie theater visit (and probably even to have money left over at all, earlier on way too often the 'man of the house' drank away the complete money needed to feed, cloth,  and educate the family) = it always was a way to escape for a few hours the day-to-day life, even long before George Lukas was even born

10. The precentage of moviegoing citicens of even the US is still a rather small one, tendency downwards.

11. Are you e.g. even aware about the Gladiator's reason? As in Roman times? How much they spend for reenactment of big battles and so on? Partly to quieting (sp.?) the masses, but also for the need for some distraction

12. If e.g. TV churches wouldn't take a such high percentage of money free for doing good work, telling people how they can 'buy' themself brownie-points with god instead to activly do good (and un-biased) work, I think the impact on the world (the US in especial) would be far bigger as if the Star Wars franchise would not exist.

13. If Star Wars, .... all movies from now on are to have to follow your ideals, cinema would be far faster be dead than based on the impact franchises create.

14. Who says people who love Star Wars do not do activly positive work? I sleep based on chronical heavy metal toxification in average 2 hours per day, still work and work additional at least 20 hours per week without pay voluntarily at a special school, for the moment nearly the double. And support others.... To want to censor people out of one type of free-time spending is IMHO rather very arrogant (and short-sighted), where to start where to set limits?

15. Sci-Fi is IMHO a modern form of fairy tales = do you also want to speak down on those who still enjoy those too?

16. Who says people enoying Star Wars do not also enjoy 'high quality' movies with tons of people helping messages?

Advertising might help to focus the want for escapism on certain block busters, but the huge increase of movies made per year is also a reason for lessening the impact of a small budget or... movie.

The movie industry is still (and was never anything other than) an industry, not a commitee for who will get money for which the most deserving project

What's with painters, .... should they also now start to create only for society better reasons? No fun projects allowed?

I'm out, already too late for today's work, hopefully back in 2-3 weeks, latest hopefully January.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2015 10:36:21, Jessie said:

Your words Dash, you were the one describing how remakes and sequels appeal to the lowest common denominator. FR isn't as popular with the average Joe than it is with you guys, that's undoubtedly true, and for the record I don't personally think it appeals to the lowest common denominator, I don't think many films do. Any person that says that about a film build for entertainment needs to sort their life out really. And Bravo and calling me a Bayformers fanboy, clutching at straws now aren't you lol, desperate measures I guess.

Again Dash, we don't care about how merchandising really pisses you off, you don't have to buy the products, as far as I can tell its mere presence is the only thing pissing you off,  how its so hard to just ignore it instead of letting it get to you? Clearly you need to be occupied on real life problems rather than this nonsense, you know, become a grown up ;) No point in letting something so irrelevant ruin your life. Instead of bitching like a typical hipster, why don't you do something smart and just purchase shares in Disney? probably too late now but surely that's the smart thing to do. Cant beat them, join them.

I call bullshit btw, I don't know how someone's opinion on a franchise can change so dramatically in the space of just 2 years. We all know you're watching it Dash, you are cleary a fan of the franchise whether you admit it now or not. No need to reply to this, there's only so much you can type before you completely embarrass yourself.

CsGmBos.jpg