Plain Old Tele

The Peanuts Movie (2015)

The Peanuts Movie (2015)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Amazing! really played the nostalgia factor hard. super funny and adorable, I don't know if I'd say it had no plot. but yeah it was light. but needless to say it's my favorite animated film so far this year!  A/A+

• Like 1

I liked it, but it was pretty slight. Not really much to the movie. If someone asked me how the move was, I would tell them it was cute. It was clearly aimed for young kinds and huge Peanuts fans who would have nostalgia for the series. There is nothing wrong with the movie really, so I can see why it is getting mostly positive reviews. Just not really my cup of tea. Never need to see it again. I would only recommend seeing it in theaters if you have younger kids or are a huge Peanuts fan. Otherwise you can just wait till video. I don't think I laughed once. Still the ending did make me smile as it made me feel like I was watching an old Peanuts special like when I was younger. 

At at the end of the day, I guess I would give it a.......

B

Edited by Empire of Spies
  • Like 1

Most of the film was pretty much the nostalgic love letter to the comic strip that I expected, though I did appreciate how Snoopy's Red Baron narrative was written to parallel Charlie Brown's, and he and Woodstock are an absolutely winning combination throughout.

The ending bumped this up into A territory for me, though. I was not expecting such a touching and meaningful payoff to Charlie Brown's troubles. This is the kind of "modernization" that I'm completely okay with, as I don't particularly enjoy watching someone go to a lot of effort for nothing and be made fun of for it.

Peanuts really surprised me in a good way. They managed to take Charlie Brown and the gang, and put them into CGI backgrounds, while still being faithful to the original comics.

Some of the classic gags were reused from the strips and even the specials (they reused the "I've been kissed by a dog joke" from A Charlie Brown Christmas for example), and somehow managed to make it kinda feel fresh. Plus the whole WW2 Snoopy subplot was a nice addition.

Aside from the modern day dance songs that were used in the films, I don't think there's much I really despised about it. It's just a nice pleasant film, based off a real popular comic strip. 

8 / 10 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

Saw it this morning. Very enjoyable film. I loved how it was in the 1960s instead of it being in the 21st century-that would of been too awkward if it was. Anyway the voices of Charlie and Lucy were the 2 that sounded most like the original. The animation was great and the archive music and archive recordings of Snoopy and Woodstock-loved that! I loved the voices in general in the film. Tons of references to the cartoons and comics in the film, even the classic dance from a Charlie Brown's Christmas was in it!

A-

BTW-the short was quite enjoyable before the film also.

Cute, but very, very slight. The criticism that it doesn't have much of a story is definitely valid, and it doesn't have the same magic as the classic television specials from which it draws inspiration. However, it is never anything less than likable, and it does a commendable job of walking the line between satisfying older fans who grew up on these characters and younger children who may be experiencing them for the first time.

B

There's a lot of ways to get a Peanuts movie wrong in 2015, but this film avoids most of the obvious pitfalls. As horrible as a CGI adaptation sounds, the computer-animation's unique style really works and is really quite beautiful in its comic aesthetics. The voice-acting is as good as Peanuts gets, with child voices abound. The story is thin and exists as an excuse to make nostalgic gags about the Peanuts, but when the source material is this good, I can't really complain. That said, I wasn't a fan of the extended Red Baron sequences, and the ending, although super charming, is oddly reminiscent of Paperman. I also am not sure if this qualifies as a "Peanuts" movie, since the foreign title, "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Movie," is a lot more fitting. You get no standalone Linus/Sally, Peppermint Patty/Marcie, or Schroeder/Lucy scenes here; it's all Charlie Brown and/or Snoopy with those characters. Maybe they wanted to save something for a sequel, I don't know. Despite these nitpicks, The Peanuts Movie is the best revival of a children's property since 2011's The Muppets, and manages to be fun, charming, and all-around a good time. B+

Short was consumerist trash