kayumanggi

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT | 03.04.16 | Paramount | final domestic gross: $23,083,334

Filming Starts for the Taliban Shuffle Adaptation, Starring Tina Fey

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/408973-filming-starts-for-the-taliban-shuffle-adaptation-starring-tina-fey

An adaptation of journalist Kim Barker’s wartime memoir, "The Taliban Shuffle." The story recounts Barker’s experiences covering conflicts in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It's said to be a dark comedy dealing with Barker's fish-out-of-water experience and the challenges of being a woman in wartime Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/11/26/tina-fey-whiskey-tango-foxtrot-exclusive-sneak-peek/76330484/

Directed by the team of Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (Crazy, Stupid, Love), the dramedy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot stars Fey as a journalist who’s sent to Kabul on assignment and gets entrenched in a culture of adrenaline and parties. The film (in theaters March 4) is an adaptation of Kim Barker’s 2011 memoir The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistanby Fey’s longtime writing collaborator Robert Carlock.

“For me to get to do a movie where I fly in helicopters and shoot guns and run from explosions, that’s a treat,” Fey says. “I don’t get to do any of those things on a daily basis.”

Fey describes the term “Kabul cute” as “the idea when a regular normal-looking woman goes into a place where there aren’t very many women. She becomes a real object of desire in a way that is hopefully comical.”

Margot Robbie co-stars as Tanya Vanderpoel, a British TV journalist whom Kim admires and befriends, Christopher Abbot plays Afghan “fixer” Fahim Ahmadzai, who acts as driver, translator and all-around handyman for reporters, and Martin Freeman is Iain MacKelpie, a Scottish war photographer who’s introduced to Kim as a guy she shouldn’t fall for “and of course you can probably guess what happens then,” Fey says.

Rounding out the ensemble cast is Billy Bob Thornton as Gen. Hollanek, a military man who initially scares Kim, and Alfred Molina is a local official who has a crush on her “and doesn’t have the best boundaries with that,” Fey says. “He takes me out back to teach me how to shoot rifles and stuff as a way of wooing me.”

635839904177485943-FTF-06621R2.jpg

635839904176705928-FTF-14462R2.jpg

As I posted on the Eddie the Eagle thread, this looks awful.

Typical Tina Fey/American comedy that is insensitive, out of touch and unfunny. Going to bomb as hard as Our Brand is Crisis with Bullock.

I am not sure why they keep either adapting or writing stories with this kind of "humour". Who does it go down well with?

Why is this funny? More American imperialistic bullshit? Cast of white people doing white people things in the Middle East? Typical shallow jokes about dressing, human rights etc?

It's not a laughing matter and they make it so, when the American populace continues to grow in stupidity and ignorance. Failure of social responsibility reeking.

Hopefully this bombs like it should.

• Like 4