WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Spectre & MJ2 both quality wise seem to be solid/meh from the majority but I don't think that's the only issue. The timing of the releases seems to be correlated meanwhile SW is breaking every presale record in existence.

It's a much, much better movie than Spectre. 

But yes, I absolutely agree there is a sense of people just waiting for Star Wars. I cannot even imagine how big it's going to be. 

20 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I actually think after the first it's probably broken even or done worse than expectations. All depends which timeline you look at. It's bizarre to me because I always thought the quality even in the back portion of this series was much better than Twilight.

Yeah but Harry nor Bella never had a 400 million Domestic film.   Even "Deathly Hollows 2" didn't make it.   "Hunger Games" had 2 and I honestly don't remember anyone thinking it would get that high.  So even if the last 2 films kinda fell off, it clearly outdid expectations overall, IMO. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

SW is really fucking pissing me off

nirz9d_4.jpg

Also, THG is just like Transformers domestically…hot out of the gate, peaked at film two, then drop and drop again films 3 and 4.  

Edited by FTF
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

We lost members since the forum changes strangely though so activity is down on average.

Actually, this isn't really true. There are people who are absent, but it's a slow ebb-and-flow the way it always is, and in terms of page hits and views activity is about the same.

• Like 2

I feel pretty representative of the general audience. I never read the hunger games books, got wooed into seeing the first film based on all the online hype, LOVED the 2nd movie but was pretty disappointed by the slow Mockingjay part 1 film. I'm sure many like me are more than willing to wait until redbox/on demand/netflix/tv/torrents to see the final film in this series. Who really wants to pay 15 bucks to see half a movie? I'm waiting for Star Wars.

2 minutes ago, FTF said:

nirz9d_4.jpg

Also, THG is just like Transformers domestically…hot out of the gate, peaked at film two, then drop and drop again films 3 and 4.  

Except CF was the most  well received entry in the franchise and TF2 was an abomination to most movie goers.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

amazing that a final film in such a big franchise can be such a non event

I said months ago in one of the threads that this movie had no hype and felt like a afterthought and the sycophants jumped on me. No one I know off the internet has said a PEEP about this movie. 

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

I feel pretty representative of the general audience. I never read the hunger games books, got wooed into seeing the first film based on all the online hype, LOVED the 2nd movie but was pretty disappointed by the slow Mockingjay part 1 film. I'm sure many like me are more than willing to wait until redbox/on demand/netflix/tv/torrents to see the final film in this series. Who really wants to pay 15 bucks to see half a movie? I'm waiting for Star Wars.

Mockingjay Part 1 gets a C from me, but Mockingjay Part 2 is leagues ahead of it. 

Just now, eddyxx said:

I said months ago in one of the threads that this movie had no hype and felt like a afterthought and the sycophants jumped on me. No one I know off the internet has said a PEEP about this movie. 

No need to be so dense about it though.

:ohmyzod:

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Back to THG for a sec, though... Obviously casting JLaw as Katniss was huge. Tremendous actress, tremendous screen presence. They caught lightning in a bottle. The drawback, though, is that no one else in the series (and especially none of the younger cast) is remotely as good as her. They're just flat-out not interesting and not charismatic. (Stalwarts like Moore and PSH and Sutherland are fine, but they're not exactly pushing the limits of what they can do.) So the sum result of three movies of this is I -- as a casual viewer -- don't care about anyone else except JLaw, so all the time spent on her wailing about these other cardboard standups feels like a giant waste of time. It also feels like it diminishes her character a great deal. In retrospect, the series would've been much more interesting to me if she had been the only teenager.

This is just how I feel. She's been holding this up single-handedly. When the easy hook of the games was gone, there's only so much interest casual viewers are going to have. And for a YA series, I think the fact that not many really cared about the romance kills a lot of that teenage frenzy. One of the biggest hooks for the finale of this series should've been how the "triangle" is settled. It's even apparently

Spoiler

the final scene of this film.

But really, did anyone beyond the most hardcore of book fans even give a crap?

• Like 1