WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

With the ever-improving multis of the Hunger Games films, this should still finish $300 million+ DOM. But finishing below Good Dinosaur DOM would be a shocker IMO - especially since most weren't expecting $350-380 million DOM for it (general range for MJ2 predicts). 

Interested to see if Creed and Good Dinosaur perform well next week. 

6 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I called part 1 missing $300 million and lost out. Looks like I'll win with this one!

People got over this series quickly tbh. Doesn't help that they turned the worst book of the series into a nearly four hour movie. Blech.

The franchise has improved the multi with each film. MJ1 got 2.75x roughly. A 2.8x-2.85x for MJ2 gets it $308-312 million DOM. 

I wouldn't say MJ2 is on its way to sub-$300 million quite yet. If it drops 55-60% next weekend and the weekend after, then I'd agree. But its softer OW could mean a sub-50% drop over the Thanksgiving frame (46-48%). And maybe 50-55% over the post-Thanksgiving frame instead of 60-62%. Plus a 30-35% drop before SW7 wrecks everything in its path. 

I'm being optimistic, but there's no real evidence to suggest MJ2 will drop any harsher than the previous films. Even a 2.7x (slightly less than MJ1) gets it just over $300 million. 

Finishing 7th for the year would be surprising, though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Nevada said:

I don't think Joy's gonna do anywhere near as well as American Hustle or Silver Linings. 

I'm still amazed at how much money AH made considering what a lifeless, sorta boring movie it was. 

Yeah, I used to think that, but Joy's PG-13 now, making it prime family choice for Christmas Day (if they already saw Star Wars)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

MJ2 faces much bigger competition than MJ1.

TGD >>Penguins of Madagascar 

But neither of those were true competition for the Hunger Games demo. 

MJ2 - teens

Good Dinosaur - kids/families

Creed - adults 

All 3 can coexist next week and do $35 million+ for the 5-day if audiences want to see Creed and GD and MJ2

Just now, mahnamahna said:

But neither of those were true competition for the Hunger Games demo. 

MJ2 - teens

Good Dinosaur - kids/families

Creed - adults 

All 3 can coexist next week and do $35 million+ for the 5-day if audiences want to see Creed and GD and MJ2

A 5 day 35m for TGD would be bad for TGD. I'm pretty sure it's going to make more than that (obviously I know you're just making an example, I'm just saying).

• Like 1