kayumanggi

MOANA | 394.6 M overseas ● 643.3 M worldwide

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Why is that disappointing? It would be around BH6 (657M) and would be the fourth or fifth highest grossing WDAS (and The Lion King had rereleases)

UK and China ! 

It's a disney movie, 650M WW it's a good number but still disappointing for me.

10 hours ago, yjs said:

That Germany numbers is a bit embarrassing ??‍♂️

It starts at the worst date it could have. George Parr wrote a good comment on it. We probably don't want to see such a summer movie now.

And the trend got a bit better, 200k now including about 50k previews. With good WOM it still can make 1M to 1,5M admissions. Better isn't possible with this date.

I have a last question: Embarrassing for whom?

12 minutes ago, Aristis said:

It starts at the worst date it could have. George Parr wrote a good comment on it. We probably don't want to see such a summer movie now.

And the trend got a bit better, 200k now including about 50k previews. With good WOM it still can make 1M to 1,5M admissions. Better isn't possible with this date.

I mean the overall underwhelming box office performance of Moana overseas is embarrassing for what it is as a Disney tentpole release since it's more pulling off a Storks/Home/Hotel Transylvania range numbers. It would probably fail to hit $300M overseas gross. But then again I just found out it's not that uncommon for a Disney film to do $10M~$15M in Germany, I was misguided and thought it was more of a $30M~$40M market thanks to the success of Tangled, Frozen and Zootopia. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Aristis said:

This. I wonder how Moana would've done on a summer release. Like, it's the perfect movie for summer. The release date was a mess.

In the UK It got sandwiched between the two biggest films of the year, both FB and RO are doing above £50m, and likely £60m for the latter. It also came after Trolls, which was quite a big hit here with £23m. Not a good release date at all for Moana.

Havintg said that, it'll probably end up with a 7-8x multiplier, but still, the total is definitely disappointing for a WDA film.

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

In the UK It got sandwiched between the two biggest films of the year, both FB and RO are doing above £50m, and likely £60m for the latter. It also came after Trolls, which was quite a big hit here with £23m. Not a good release date at all for Moana.

Havintg said that, it'll probably end up with a 7-8x multiplier, but still, the total is definitely disappointing for a WDA film.

Moana was screwed either way, had it been released in January where Sing is, it would have been dented by Lego Batman. 

22 hours ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

It's going to hit $300 million OS...  There's no way this does under $550 million.  It'll do well... it'll do well... you just have to believe!

I'm actually just trying to lower my expectation as much as possible just not to be disappointed. haha :P 

On 24/12/2016 at 8:56 PM, yjs said:

I mean the overall underwhelming box office performance of Moana overseas is embarrassing for what it is as a Disney tentpole release since it's more pulling off a Storks/Home/Hotel Transylvania range numbers. It would probably fail to hit $300M overseas gross. But then again I just found out it's not that uncommon for a Disney film to do $10M~$15M in Germany, I was misguided and thought it was more of a $30M~$40M market thanks to the success of Tangled, Frozen and Zootopia. 

Another thing to note is that Moana is that rare Disney tentpole that unfortunately got sandwiched between two other Disney tentpoles (Strange and Rogue One) and a major competitor in the form of Sing followed not soon after. Not to mention the Wizarding World entry that was running almost concurrently.  The other three WDAS films mentioned had it much easier. 

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Another thing to note is that Moana is that rare Disney tentpole that unfortunately got sandwiched between two other Disney tentpoles (Strange and Rogue One) and a major competitor in the form of Sing followed not soon after. Not to mention the Wizarding World entry that was running almost concurrently.  The other three WDAS films mentioned had it much easier. 

I wonder if Sing and Moana are hurting each other, both are doing okay to good business but not to the scale that the two studios are used to. 

Deadline

Disney’s Polynesian navigator found her way to another $14.9M in 32 material territories for an international cume of $144.5M. The worldwide total is now $325M. Germany and Italy were among the major new openers across the Christmas holiday. In Italy, Moana topped her stablemate Rogue One with a No. 1 launch of $1.8M while she placed No. 2 behind Rogue One in Germany with $1.7M. China, where play has ended, leads offshore markets at $30.4M, followed by France with $22.7M, the UK at $12.7M, Russia at $12.3M and Mexico with $10.1M. Australia opens today with Brazil, Korea and Japan still to set sail.

38 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

Deadline

Disney’s Polynesian navigator found her way to another $14.9M in 32 material territories for an international cume of $144.5M. The worldwide total is now $325M. Germany and Italy were among the major new openers across the Christmas holiday. In Italy, Moana topped her stablemate Rogue One with a No. 1 launch of $1.8M while she placed No. 2 behind Rogue One in Germany with $1.7M. China, where play has ended, leads offshore markets at $30.4M, followed by France with $22.7M, the UK at $12.7M, Russia at $12.3M and Mexico with $10.1M. Australia opens today with Brazil, Korea and Japan still to set sail.

I thought Moana was extended for another week in China?

• Like 1