kayumanggi

MOANA | 394.6 M overseas ● 643.3 M worldwide

I think Moana's weak OS performance might have something to do with how it's not exactly appealing to a certain region.

Example:

Tangled obviously appeals more to Europe countries, as it's setting is very European and Rapunzel came from European fairy tale, hence it's strong Europe numbers but weak Asian number and average Latin numbers.

Big Hero 6 appeals more to Asian countries, obviously, with $160 milion from Japan+China alone, but is kind of weaker in Europe and Latin.

Frozen performed strongly in Europe, better than BH6 and Tangled in Latin, and went nuts in Japan and Korea. Is an outlier, not the rule.

Zootopia is strong across the board, because talking animals is universal language.

What can Moana appeal to culturally? I mean, Pacific islands probably count as untracked territories. We know that Moana sells out theatres in Hawaii, so that's good I guess. Maybe New Zealand and Australia will have good reactions to it. $400 million OS seemed like a good if not slightly optimistic target for Moana.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, I has been lurking here for a very long time but rarely post as there is actually nothing I can contribute, coming from a rather insignificant country in terms of box office. But Moana opened here last weekend and I think I should share some thought as I see the panic mode is strong :P.

In our country people don't particularly like musicals, and marketing for Moana is not strong either (surprise hah, it's Disney -_-), thus opening weekend is quite weak. But Moana has insane WOM, with many people posting reactions on SNS and urging everybody to go see Moana as it's not simply a "cute, fun" movie, but a "beautiful, wonderful, must-see movie that can inspire and make them feel and cry." The WOM has kept it quite busy during the week for an animated movie, and for the second weekend I don't have official numbers but I believe Moana stayed flat or even increased. When I watched it for the 4th time yesterday the cinema was busier than last week, with many showings sold out. Moana also played particularly well with females here, and that leads to great leg. You know, when a movie can make us women feel and cry, we will drag other people with us to watch it multiple times, being a sentimental creature as we are :D

I am also disappointed with the opening in the UK, but I think we shouldn't panic yet. At least wait for its leg. Yesterday I checked for Moana posts on SNS in the UK and the reactions are just as great as in our country, so I am hopeful :). 

I believe WOM will carry Moana far enough to a respectable amount.

Edited by Hoa Hoang
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Captain H said:

I think Moana's weak OS performance might have something to do with how it's not exactly appealing to a certain region.

Example:

Tangled obviously appeals more to Europe countries, as it's setting is very European and Rapunzel came from European fairy tale, hence it's strong Europe numbers but weak Asian number and average Latin numbers.

Big Hero 6 appeals more to Asian countries, obviously, with $160 milion from Japan+China alone, but is kind of weaker in Europe and Latin.

Frozen performed strongly in Europe, better than BH6 and Tangled in Latin, and went nuts in Japan and Korea. Is an outlier, not the rule.

Zootopia is strong across the board, because talking animals is universal language.

What can Moana appeal to culturally? I mean, Pacific islands probably count as untracked territories. We know that Moana sells out theatres in Hawaii, so that's good I guess. Maybe New Zealand and Australia will have good reactions to it. $400 million OS seemed like a good if not slightly optimistic target for Moana.

While this explanation is convincing it is also sad, I'm European but for me a beautiful story is a beautiful story, no matter the cultural setting.

Spain: €1.8m (Frozen opened to €3.5m)

This week is nearly a holiday week in the whole country. Both Tuesday and Thursday are National holidays. We will see if it is able to recover. But for the moment it seems it will have to compete for Trolls numbers (about €10m) instead for Frozen's (€17m)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, newbie BO buff said:

As of yesterday (4 December), Indonesia stands at 2.1 million, less than 800 thousand tickets sold.

Not looking too good, it had to share screens with FB when it opened. And Sing opens in 2 days (7 December).

Where did you get it? I'm looking high and low for Indonesian Box Office numbers but I nevet seemed to be able to find it... :(

On 12/4/2016 at 6:17 PM, Hoa Hoang said:

Hi everyone, I has been lurking here for a very long time but rarely post as there is actually nothing I can contribute, coming from a rather insignificant country in terms of box office. But Moana opened here last weekend and I think I should share some thought as I see the panic mode is strong :P.

In our country people don't particularly like musicals, and marketing for Moana is not strong either (surprise hah, it's Disney -_-), thus opening weekend is quite weak. But Moana has insane WOM, with many people posting reactions on SNS and urging everybody to go see Moana as it's not simply a "cute, fun" movie, but a "beautiful, wonderful, must-see movie that can inspire and make them feel and cry." The WOM has kept it quite busy during the week for an animated movie, and for the second weekend I don't have official numbers but I believe Moana stayed flat or even increased. When I watched it for the 4th time yesterday the cinema was busier than last week, with many showings sold out. Moana also played particularly well with females here, and that leads to great leg. You know, when a movie can make us women feel and cry, we will drag other people with us to watch it multiple times, being a sentimental creature as we are :D

I am also disappointed with the opening in the UK, but I think we shouldn't panic yet. At least wait for its leg. Yesterday I checked for Moana posts on SNS in the UK and the reactions are just as great as in our country, so I am hopeful :). 

I believe WOM will carry Moana far enough to a respectable amount.

A belated welcome! Very happy to see you posting, and thank you for a nice write up about the performance in your country. :) 

• Like 2

It doesn't open till Boxing Day here which is the biggest movie going day of the year and Rogue One will be 11 days into its run. Kids across the entire country will be on holidays for a minimum 4 weeks after release. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain H said:

Where did you get it? I'm looking high and low for Indonesian Box Office numbers but I nevet seemed to be able to find it... :(

From the-numbers, they sometimes have it.

Box Office Summary Per Territory

Territory Release
Date
Opening
Weekend
Opening
Weekend
Theaters
Maximum
Theaters
Theatrical
Engagements
Total
Box Office
Date
Bulgaria 11/25/2016 $88,633 0 0 0 $88,633 12/1/2016
China 11/25/2016 $12,400,000 41597 41597 58324 $21,710,000 12/5/2016
Colombia 11/25/2016 $700,000 0 0 0 $700,000 11/28/2016
Czech Republic 11/25/2016 $96,266 117 117 117 $96,266 11/30/2016
France 12/1/2016 $5,200,000 0 0 0 $6,400,000 12/4/2016
Indonesia 11/25/2016 $700,000 0 0 0 $2,100,000 12/4/2016
Lithuania 11/25/2016 $64,787 193 193 193 $64,787 11/30/2016
Mexico 12/2/2016 $2,700,000 0 0 0 $2,700,000 12/4/2016
New Zealand 11/25/2016 $113,103 13 13 22 $245,888 12/5/2016
Portugal 11/25/2016 $250,939 127 127 127 $250,939 12/1/2016
Russia (CIS) 12/2/2016 $5,100,000 0 0 0 $5,100,000 12/4/2016
Singapore 11/25/2016 $600,000 0 0 0 $600,000 11/28/2016
Slovakia 11/25/2016 $11,674 23 23 23 $11,674 12/1/2016
Spain 12/1/2016 $2,000,000 0 0 0 $2,000,000 12/4/2016
United Kingdom 12/1/2016 $2,700,000 0 0 0 $2,700,000 12/4/2016

Rest of World $12,731,813  

International Total $57,500,000 12/5/2016
  • Like 3

On 5.12.2016 at 2:17 AM, Hoa Hoang said:

Hi everyone,....

:welcome: and a great post IMHO.

general speaking:

I feel like a few do compare the OS details a bit too much to the US numbers.

So speaking as someone who does not even watch animated films...:

The film is not even released in all typically bigger markets, plus in countries were it is released partly special circumstances hinder the results like e.g. China it runs against a heavy hitter, in the UK (where it seemingly didn't have a marketing worth mentioning) against a local ~ 'institution',... sometimes a local film impresses so strongly, the other ones get missed. Happened e.g. in 2014 to GotG in South Korea

I'd wait till it is released everywhere for a few weeks before calling it whatever.

And please remember: sometimes it can be exchange rate, bad translation,... that impacts results, not always it is e.g. bias.

E.g. in Russia the same result as a few years back can mean today only 50% and so on 8depending on the dates).

23. Nov.
= Canada, USA

24. Nov
= Azerbaijan, Belarus, Croatia, Cambodia, Kazakhstan, Rep.o.Macedonia, Portugal, Serbia, Singapore, Ukraine

25. Nov.
= Bulgaria, China, Estonia, Indonesia, Lithuania, Pakistan, Poland, Vietnam

30. Nov
= Belgium, France, Netherlands, Philippines

1. Dec.
= Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Malaysia, Russia, Slovakia, Thailand

2. Dec
= Spain, UK, Ireland, India, Mexico

8. Dec
= Israel, Lebanon

22. Dec
= Germany, Greece, Italy

26. Dec.
= Australia

5. Jan.
= Brazil

19. Jan
= Argentina, South Korea

20. Jan.
= Turkey

26 Jan.
= Hong Kong

2 Feb.
= Denmark

3. Feb.
= Norway, Sweden

10 March
= Japan

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Moana's Indonesian numbers are not updated anymore, I think it not move far from 2.1 million as it loses screens to Sing since 2 days ago.

Underperformed or not? Compare to what I have on similar offerings this year:

• Dory 4.60 mil
  • Zoo 2.82 mil
  • TJB 1.96 mil
  • Angry Birds 2.48 mil
  • Pets 1.92 mil
  • KFP3 5.32 mil
  • Ice Age 5 0.73 mil
  • Storks 0.55 k
  • Trolls 0.34k

Some of the numbers are not conclusive, and Kubo did not screen here.

Thank you all for your walm welcome :)! I have to say BOT is the only forum I visit these years, what a great place for movie lovers and moviegoers like me ^ ( I even love the regular meltdowns here :D).

So the realistic ballpark for Moana is around 600 now, no? Well, less than I expected and hoped for it (still hope for 650 though), but anyway Disney will earn a nice figure from it and we have the fantastic movie we want, so I think I shouldn't have any complaint really :). But trust me Moana will do very well on Netflix later haha.

Edited by Hoa Hoang
  • Like 4