kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

• Like 1

I am unsure of that trend of audience member cheering a budget for being low/great news/etc..., with the same ticket being the same price and all, give me a bigger production and all things being equal I will be happier.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I pretty much expected this budget? Gosling is a big name but likely isn't someone who commands a high salary, and I doubt the visual effects work is nearly as intense as it was for either Gravity or Interstellar.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I thought that was just Cannes. 

no cannes just moved the press screenings to the same time or after the premiere, venice is still doing press screenings before the premiere still but there's an embargo until then.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

You know it's a shame...if it was easier for actors to draw these days I think Gosling would be a draw. He's a movie star in every way except the numbers (for the most part). 

It's not like his last few movies haven't made nice sums of money. La La Land made $150M+ being sold largely on him and Stone while Blade Runner (even though it lost money) and The Big Short (even though he was part of an ensemble) put up solid numbers too. The Nice Guys flopped though unfortunately but I guess that was always gonna be a cult hit down the road even in the best case scenario. This would have to be a critical disaster to not be another hit for him.

He's just picky about the movies he does like DiCaprio. You know you're most likely gonna get a quality film if he's on board.

Edited by filmlover
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's not like his last few movies haven't made nice sums of money. La La Land made $150M+ being sold largely on him and Stone while Blade Runner (even though it lost money) and The Big Short (even though he was part of an ensemble) put up solid numbers too. The Nice Guys flopped though unfortunately but I guess that was always gonna be a cult hit down the road even in the best case scenario. This would have to be a critical disaster to not be another hit for him.

He's just picky about the movies he does like DiCaprio. You know you're most likely gonna get a quality film if he's on board.

I agree with all of that. Maybe I'm still just sour that Blade Runner didn't make more money. Also, I feel like The Nice Guys should've been a hit. Where was the word of mouth on that? 

3 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I agree with all of that. Maybe I'm still just sour that Blade Runner didn't make more money. Also, I feel like The Nice Guys should've been a hit. Where was the word of mouth on that? 

Quirky dark comedies have always been tough sells (period-centric ones especially). It's just not a subgenre known for inspiring box office hits and likely never will be, regardless of acclaim.

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Ryan Gosling will be on a parking lot on front of green screens sooner than you think.

Even tho he already did that a lot on Practical Blade Runner.

I wouldn't mind seeing him do an action flick, like a MI movie maybe. 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like Blade Runner is the closest we're ever going to see Gosling in an action spectacle. Dude's turned down a lot of stuff over the years.

I just hope this movie is better than "La-la-land". The only thing I want.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like Blade Runner is the closest we're ever going to see Gosling in an action spectacle. Dude's turned down a lot of stuff over the years.

Dude has bills to pay.

Edited by The Futurist

42 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It is surprising and maybe counter intuive, one would think those would work more often, but like the better Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the Edgar Wright comedy, they often are thought to sales to the general audience.

Has for Gosling being a good draw, jury is still kind of out, 10 movie not making 10m domestic in itself is not necessarily an issue (depend of the product and marketing effort), but some of those were very well received and with somewhat to good distributor like Blue Valentine, Lars and the Real Girl, Star was Fox and adter the notebook.

But he had really good movies, with a good distribution effort that failed to do what many expected, BR/Nice Guys/Drive that was turned into an wide release with a giant marketing budget (maybe a mistake too..), had a 92% RT score, was loved at Canne and TIFF, had a good supporting cast with Craston/Hendricks ridding mega tv success around that time.

He had many very leggy success too in co-leads, so he can definitely bring something.