kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

Test screened last night. Reddit of course so grain of salt (although I know a screening did 100% take place)

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/8sfwri/first_man_preview_screening/

I just came back from a preview screening of First Man and it's great. Damien Chazelle continues to prove why he's one of the best and most talented directors out there right now. Ryan Gosling is excellent as usual and Claire Foy gives an amazing performance too. It has a layered screenplay with successful emotional beats and it's pretty intense. Never a dull moment and the pacing throughout is excellent. It's technically impressive (as expected) and I really enjoyed the score. The trailer is indicative of the final product and you don't have to worry about this one.

It's definitely a final cut as everything looked completed to me. It's around 135 minutes before the credits started rolling. I believe Gosling and Foy will certainly be in the running for nominations.

I was at the same screening. Great movie, I especially loved all the cockpit scenes. Really made you feel in there and Super thrilling. The music was interesting with that kind of theremin sound and I wonder if they are going to keep it or not. Also should probably be a bit careful you did sign a waiver.

So that music bit...Chazelle mentioned this track in an interview. According to the guy on Reddit, Hurwitz's score is very much inspired by this and like Interstellar using organs, this uses a lot of....theremin 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dawxnlRTgE8

Edited by antovolk

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Word on AwardsWatch is good but more muted than the Reddit posts. Sounds like it’ll get some nominations but won’t win anything above the line

yeah but AW have a different prerogative really when it comes to films. The Dunkirk 2.0 description is apt

Just now, antovolk said:

yeah but AW have a different prerogative really when it comes to films. The Dunkirk 2.0 description is apt

From what they’re saying, Foy is still pretty safe for a nomination. Please don’t beat Amy! :sadno: 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

From what they’re saying, Foy is still pretty safe for a nomination. Please don’t beat Amy! :sadno: 

if the Reddit comments are to go by it's classic biopic-y enough to be an above the line player unlike Dunkirk.

Anyway I cannot fucking wait, the comments got me so hyped...

Spoiler
From Reddit

Also the moon landing was shot beautifully it’s almost 20 minutes of silence with just Armstrong taking in the experience, no cut backs to people watching the tv or anything just silence, Neil and the moon.

giphy.gif

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 3

Watched Everest earlier today and remembered that for that film and The Walk they had a one/two week early IMAX run before opening wide.

With COMING SOON instead of the October 12 date plastered all over the domestic materials for this (which normally would have the date or month) I was thinking what would be the likelihood of Universal doing the same here?

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

Watched Everest earlier today and remembered that for that film and The Walk they had a one/two week early IMAX run before opening wide.

With COMING SOON instead of the October 12 date plastered all over the domestic materials for this (which normally would have the date or month) I was thinking what would be the likelihood of Universal doing the same here?

No chance when Venom is out a week prior.

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Last few films to open there this decade:

Black Swan

The Ides of March

The Reluctant Fundamentalist

Gravity

Birdman

Everest

La La Land

Downsizing

Reluctant Fundamentalist and Downsizing aside, that would certainly bode well.

Edited by filmlover