kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

i feel like in the last year or so the forum's gotten a lot worse with "damn, saw on awards watch that @shartface on twitter said he knows a guy who knows a guy whose barber said that a test screening for this didn't go so well" nonsense. c'mon guys.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, filmlover said:

The barista at Starbucks said he heard from a friend of his that First Man is gonna win all the Oscars. Don't know how valid he is but it's official!

Oh this post would work so well if I actually got the Starbucks job :kitschjob: 

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

According to AwardsWatch, every fucking movie "isn't gonna be the one to win Best Picture." Something has to win Best Picture! Maybe it won't be this, but those dudes are just stans arguing about Lady Gaga vs. Jlaw.

It's more like Gaga vs Toni Collette last I checked (haven't gone there in a few weeks) :lol: 

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Supposedly this isn't good [enough for awards]. Someone posted a cryptic tweet that said more than a few people who saw it say it's not gonna be the Best Picture. 

I mean...everyone is surely expecting its awards performance to basically be like Dunkirk/Gravity/Interstellar etc - lots of technicals with BP nom at most. Maaaaaybe acting noms.

EDIT: oh, AwardsWatch. Why are we looking to them as a quality arbiter, they come to this with different prerogatives. 

Edited by antovolk

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

what if it's too popular.

The fact that it's not getting the usual awardsbait platform release but they're going full IMAX and promoting it as a tentpole says a lot about what sort of film it is. All the awards talk and festival debuts is just gravy purely piggybacking on the film coming out in October instead of like July

1 minute ago, antovolk said:

I mean...everyone is surely expecting its awards performance to basically be like Dunkirk/Gravity/Interstellar etc - lots of technicals with BP nom at most. Maaaaaybe acting noms.

EDIT: oh, AwardsWatch. Why are we looking to them as a quality arbiter, they come to this with different prerogatives. 

I know but the tweet isn't from them. They were just reposting someone's. I agree that this kind of thing - reactions - can go either way. I remember all the enthusiastic buzz about Interstellar and then Tapley dropped the tweet that said "reviews are gonna be very interesting" and it was downhill from there for the movie. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I know but the tweet isn't from them. They were just reposting someone's. I agree that this kind of thing - reactions - can go either way. I remember all the enthusiastic buzz about Interstellar and then Tapley dropped the tweet that said "reviews are gonna be very interesting" and it was downhill from there for the movie. 

And that guy (NBP) is an awards pundit. So again, different prerogative.

Oh and fuck that, Interstellar was fantastic. So if First Man is on that level I'll be very happy. If we're gonna go there, Robbie Collin responded to a tweet of mine comparing the two posters saying 'the second one gives off a 'you better not sleep on this one unlike Interstellar' vibe'

Edited by antovolk

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

what if it's too popular.

RIP Black Panther Popular Oscar. ;) Though maybe Panther AMPAS members are frantically voting for anything else just to avoid the embarrassment of having to receive the award that was clearly invented for their movie. :lol:

If this was released in July like Dunkirk and didn't have a festival run would we really be having all this handwringing over buzz from people who are approaching this film from an awards POV?

Did Dunkirk win BP? No. Did Interstellar? It didn't even get nominated! Doesn't make either film any less great

Edited by antovolk

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

"Kiss me, my Oscar, before I'm sick." - Damien Jizzelle since 2016 (or 2014, even)

i remember back in 2014 there was some anecdote that damien chazelle was gushing to steve pond how much he loved his Oscar book. dude has been studying the game. truly he is a student of oscar whoring. (not hating, i still think you can make great movies that you're passionate about while simultaneously thinking "i'm gonna win the shit outta some awards for this". it ain't a bad thing unless you're tom hooper)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1