Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

I find it concerning both Django and Hobbit are lifting embargos tomorrow yet till nothing from les mis but some somewhat awkward clips.

We'll find out tomorrow when NYFCC votes. And, embargo's up soon enough, it's not like we haven't already heard about the movie like Dragon Tattoo.

I find it concerning both Django and Hobbit are lifting embargos tomorrow yet till nothing from les mis but some somewhat awkward clips.

Reactions from Les Miserables have popped up around the web, and they're generally really, really positive. I wouldn't be concerned about the film just because official reviews haven't run yet.I'll be interested to see how The Hobbit does in its initial reception. I'm still really excited for the movie, but I'm not feeling it as a major awards contender.I don't think Django is going to make much noise either, but we'll see. I don't think the Christmas release was a good idea as far as awards prospects are concerned because Tarantino's work is so odd that it usually requires more time to be processed on a widespread level. I think Basterds benefited greatly from being released in August and having time to build up its stature; it's such a bizarre movie that I'm not sure it would have struck as strongly in awards season if it had been released at the end of the year.

I'll be interested to see how The Hobbit does in its initial reception. I'm still really excited for the movie, but I'm not feeling it as a major awards contender.

Yeah, I think that Fishnets something like "Good not Great" when I mentioned that the word is that the movie is good and not a mess. It'll need LOTR level fanaticism to get this a BP nomination.

I think Les Miz has a better shot at taking down Lincoln than ZDT. I don't see ZDT winning either GG or BAFTA while Les Miz has a good shot at both these awards. Lincoln is going to stay at the very top during the entire awards season (Spielberg, DDL, Box Office, history etc.) and only a movie with momentum will be able to beat it. Frankly, I won't be surprised if movies like SLP and ZDT are also-rans and a movie like Life Of Pi starts surgingby the time new year begins.

Predictions right before precusors start1. Les Mis (though I'm starting to lean towards Lincoln)2. Lincoln3. ZDT4. Argo5. Life of Pi6. Silver Linings Playbook7. Django Unchained (Early word is good enough that I'll go out on a limb)8. Armour9. The Master (Though I hope not, personally)

I guess I have to move ZD30 up even if I really, really don't want to.Post-NYFCC1. Lincoln2. Les Miserables (up 1)3. Argo (down 1)4. Zero Dark Thirty (up 4)5. Life of Pi6. Silver Linings Playbook (down 2)7. The Master (down 1)8. Django Unchained (up 1)9. Beasts of the Southern Wild (down 2)----------------------------------------------------10. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey11. Moonrise Kingdom (up 2)12. Amour13. The Impossible (down 2)

Which is better - Looper or Cloud Atlas?Have seen Looper. Thought it was pretty good, definitely not great.Have not yet seen CA.

Both fucked up by trying too much. It`s just that having more than 1 movie in 1 movie isn`t the best idea. That said, I liked CA more.