Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Huff Post's Oscar discussion. Very interesting comments about ZDT. Click on the link for extended discussion about Oscars.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hogan/zero-dark-thirty-torture_b_2359240.html

So that's all fun. The "Zero Dark Thirty" controversy, not so much. As someone who once edited this exposé on the atrocities committed in our name by CIA interrogators, I take the criticisms of director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal seriously. As the filmmaker Alex Gibney pointed out in this excellent blog for The Huffington Post, saying "it's just a movie" doesn't hold water when the movie in question is being sold as a quasi-journalistic narrative about very recent history. Watching the film, I chose to interpret it this way: it's being told through the eyes of one obsessive, damaged Agency investigator who would have waterboarded her own mother if it would have led to bin Laden. To her, the prohibition on "enhanced interrogation techniques" ("EIT" if you're nasty) probably did seem onerous, unjust and weaselly. And whereas Mark Strong's supervisor character comes off as a jerk, I thought he made a very valid point: Enough of this kinky shit with the detainees; find some targets and let's kill some terrorists! (Cue angry liberal reaction to the drone program, but war is, after all, hell.) But this isn't an art film; it's a major Hollywood production that is going to be seen by a LOT of Americans, and as such Bigelow and Boal probably had a responsibility to frame the debate better and at least acknowledge that a lot of people in the CIA and FBI felt these tactics were counterproductive and frankly disgraceful.

Since they didn't do it, others are moving in to fill the void. And no, I don't think Oscar voters back a film that's being attacked from the left for being soft on torture. Especially when, as you mention, John McCain and the director of the CIA himself are joining the chorus.

The deafening silence of those at Langley who presumably fed Boal all this information and think he got it right also raises an interesting question: Are they bound by their obligations as secret agents to stay in the shadows? Or did they sell Boal a bill of goods that they would never willingly defend in public? Or both? A number of articles have pointed out that the most disturbing thing about "Zero Dark Thirty" is the way the government and the military were able to use the film to broadcast a story they wanted told without worrying about all those journalistic hassles like accuracy and accountability. The fact that no one who helped Boal is coming forward speaks volumes; I'm just not quite sure what it says.

What happens within 24 hours?

Movie opens, and we'll get a Cinemascore, BO estimates, GA reactions, and etc. If it disappoints here we can write an eulogy and say goodbye to it's BP Oscar. :( Edited by riczhang

I'm honestly comfortable predicting Lincoln for the win at this point. Criticism of inaccuracies seems like it will be too much to overcome for ZD30. There are several other spoilers still with a nonzero chance (Les Mis, LOP, SLP, Argo, Django) but none of them seems like it has the numerous advantages held by Lincoln.

• Like 1

I'm honestly comfortable predicting Lincoln for the win at this point. Criticism of inaccuracies seems like it will be too much to overcome for ZD30. There are several other spoilers still with a nonzero chance (Les Mis, LOP, SLP, Argo, Django) but none of them seems like it has the numerous advantages held by Lincoln.

Me too. :) But I'm predicting Bigelow for Best Director. ;)

Les Mis has a 73% rating on RT. I'd say its chances to win BP are all but dead. Imo its between Lincoln and ZD30 for sure.

I refer you to Crash. Or if it manages 175+M DOM and 500+M WW, I think it'll be too big for the Academy not to reward. It'd be their highest grossing winner since ROTK. Edited by riczhang

Edited predictionsBest picture: LINCOLNBest actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for LINCOLNBest actress: Jessica Chastain for ZERO DARK THIRTYBest director: Steven Spielberg for LINCOLNBest supporting actor: Tommy Lee Jones for LINCOLNBest supporting actress: Anne Hathaway for LES MISERABLESBest original screenplay: DJANGO UNCHAINEDBest adapted screenplay: ARGOBest cinematography: LIFE OF PIBest editing: ARGOBest art direction: ANNA KARENINABest costumes: LES MISERABLESBest original score: LIFE OF PIBest original song: SKYFALLBest sound mixing: SKYFALLBest sound editing: SKYFALLBest makeup: LINCOLNBest sfx: LIFE OF PIBest animated film: FRANKENWEENIEBest foreign film: A ROYAL AFFAIRBest documentary: THE HOUSE I LIVE IN 5 Oscars: Lincoln3 Oscars: Life of Pi and Skyfall2 Oscars: Les Miserables and Argo

Best Picture - LincolnBest Director - Kathryn BigelowBest Actor - Daniel Day-LewisBest Actress - Jessica ChastainBest Supporting Actor - Leonardo DiCaprioBest Supporting Actress - Anne HathawayBest Adapted Screenplay - Silver Linings PlaybookBest Original Screenplay - Django Unchained----------------------------------------------------------------Cinematography - Life of PiFilm Editing - Zero Dark ThirtyOriginal Score - LincolnOriginal Song - SkyfallSound Mixing - SkyfallSound Editing - Zero Dark ThirtyArt Direction - Les MiserablesVisual Effects - The AvengersCostume Design - Anna KareninaMakeup - LincolnLincoln - 4Zero Dark Thirty - 4Django Unchained - 2Les Miserables - 2Skyfall - 2

Edited by Don Calavera The Stingray

Best Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Make-Up - LincolnBest Actress, Editing - Zero Dark ThirtyBest Supporting Actress - Les MisérablesBest Original Screenplay - Django UnchainedBest Cinematography, Original Score, Visual Effects - Life of PiBest Original Song, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing - SkyfallBest Art Direction, Costume Design - Anna KareninaBest Animated Film - FrankenweenieLincoln - 6Life of Pi - 3Skyfall - 3ZDT - 2Anna Karenina - 2Django - 1Les Mis - 1Frankenweenie - 1Most nominations without a win - Silver Linings Playbook (Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay and likely Actor), The Master (Picture, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Cinematography, Art Direction and maybe Actor). Unless the latter gets shut out in Picture, Art Direction and acting categories save for PSH.

I refer you to Crash. Or if it manages 175+M DOM and 500+M WW, I think it'll be too big for the Academy not to reward. It'd be their highest grossing winner since ROTK.

Lincoln will have a sizable BO run once Oscars come around in February. Anyway, Lincoln BP and BD. No way Bigelow gets BD.
  • Like 1

Its 2 or 3 in the AM when the show starts over here, so kind of hard to stay up all night. The thing is its because of the time zones. You know about the time zones? Well, I live in a different time zone, and the way the time zones work is that two different time zones also have different times; one is ahead or behind the other. Get it? If not, you can read more about the time zones here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone

Edited by Don Calavera The Stingray