Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Argo has not been overshadowed by any film. Just because films come out later in the year, it does not mean that the quality ones before hand are forgotten. It is one of the most praised and well reviewed films of the year and it will be one of the highest grossing nominees this year. It is not forgotten and imo it is still the front runner to win. Hollywood loves stuff like this.

• Like 1

Argo has not been overshadowed by any film. Just because films come out later in the year, it does not mean that the quality ones before hand are forgotten. It is one of the most praised and well reviewed films of the year and it will be one of the highest grossing nominees this year. It is not forgotten and imo it is still the front runner to win. Hollywood loves stuff like this.

The front runner has got to be Lincoln.

I loved Lincoln, but I don't see how it could hit enough checkmarks on an emotional or creative level to be anybody's number one. It's a classic "third favorite of the year" type film. Technically and artistically great, but it lacks that little something, that little moment, to push it over to number one. That's one thing Argo certainly had, as did Les Mis, Django, and, assuming the raid is done right, ZDT.

• Like 1

I just don't see how you dismiss Argo at this point. It did what it had to do when it was released. And I agree with cmaster. Lincoln is very good, but it is not my top three films of the year. Argo, imo, or SLP, of the films that will be nominated, should be the front runners.

I loved Lincoln, but I don't see how it could hit enough checkmarks on an emotional or creative level to be anybody's number one. It's a classic "third favorite of the year" type film. Technically and artistically great, but it lacks that little something, that little moment, to push it over to number one. That's one thing Argo certainly had, as did Les Mis, Django, and, assuming the raid is done right, ZDT.

After just seeing Lincoln today I agree. It's the film you can admire more than the film you can love.
  • Like 1

After just seeing Lincoln today I agree. It's the film you can admire more than the film you can love.

I thought Day-Lewis was transcendent, and that the film is going to be one of the most memorable of the year just because it's going to be show in every history class for all of time. But in terms of emotional resonance or love, that's exactly what I mean.
  • Like 1

I thought Day-Lewis was transcendent, and that the film is going to be one of the most memorable of the year just because it's going to be show in every history class for all of time. But in terms of emotional resonance or love, that's exactly what I mean.

I do agree that this film is one of the few that will be shown in middle school history classes pretty much until the end of time.

The people who are saying Argo has become dead and buried clearly have not been paying any attention to the precursor race so far. ZD30 has picked up 9 BP awards from critics and Argo is right behind it with 7. Next closest is The Master with 3. Lincoln has 1, Les Mis has 0.

• Like 2

The people who are saying Argo has become dead and buried clearly have not been paying any attention to the precursor race so far. ZD30 has picked up 9 BP awards from critics and Argo is right behind it with 7. Next closest is The Master with 3. Lincoln has 1, Les Mis has 0.

THIS

Argo isn't dead as far as winning is concerned, but I get the feeling that Lincoln is going to be the one that really takes off with the guilds. It has the more beloved director, the more beloved cast, and was the bigger hit. It's also that extremely rare prestige film that first looks great on paper, then delivers the goods in each and every respect with a minimal amount of backlash.But on the bright side, if Argo loses but Ben Affleck continues to make really good, really well-received movies, it will be one of the movies that helps build his "c'mon, he's due!" case for a future Oscar contender.

I think Argo just wasn't a personal and sharp enough piece of filmmaking for me to truly fall in love with it. The period detail is immaculate, the tension in the final act is spectacular, the actors, especially those playing the diplomats, all hit the mark (although I can't stand the blow-job Arkin is getting from the critics and the industry for more or less playing himself again). But it felt more like a history lesson than a movie at times - very pedantic and encyclopedic - and didn't really take any storytelling or dramatic risks, aside from focusing on people who weren't held in the embassy, but were hiding in the ambassador's house and forced to behave like guests (yet it was something the movie almost never cared to explore). So yeah, it was very well done, but seemed more professional and calculated rather than personal. I want to hear the creator's voice when I see a movie (especially such a high-profile one), not just have him do his job professionally and then leave having hardly said a word. Which is kinda what Affleck did.

:worthy:Totally agree. Argo was thrilling experience while your in the theater but is forgettable soon after.IMOGone Baby Gone > The Town > ArgoThe other two stayed with me. Argo, ehhhh.

Now with that in mind, I still think Lincoln is the film in front because my gut tells me it has the inside track with the guilds. But this is a definite 4-film race, 5 possibly if you consider SLP as the feel-good dark horse.

I still haven't seen Lincoln. I feel like I have to, but I just don't want to. It's like when your mom forces robitusson on you when you have a cold.