#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

9 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Smashed the New Zealand opening day record.

The new Star Wars movie, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has smashed New Zealand opening day box office records, taking in $1,567m in day one ticket sales.

Star Wars' New Zealand distributor, Sony Pictures, revealed the figures on Friday, saying they had smashed the previous record, set by The Avengers, which opened on April 25 2012, and collected $1,020m on its first day in cinemas.

The Force Awakens was quick on to Kiwi screens, premiering in Los Angeles on December 14 (December 15 New Zealand time), holding its Kiwi premiere on Wednesday December 16, and then opening that night in screens across the country with midnight viewings for the most dedicated fans. It opened at 104 locations, on 203 screens - and there were 66 midnight screenings available.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/75256323/star-wars-the-force-awakens-sets-new-kiwi-box-office-record

9 minutes ago, Emperor Jajang said:

Australian OD (RTH) is 9.4m AUD. in USD it will be 2nd to only potter who enjoyed a much better exchange rate.

It's on 937 screens out of a total 2080 screens in Australia. It even bettered potters average (OD previous holder)

It is now expected to eclipse 20m on OW easily (new record also taken from potter). 25m+ is on the table here.

On legs it's going to be interesting as typically we at least a 3x multiplier from OW. often higher. This puts Star Wars earning at least 70m without taking the Christmas holidays into consideration. (That #2 all time already if we get there. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very good omen for the US :D In local currency in Australia it's +30% over DH2's previous record!!!!!

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

I had the most buzz killing trailers ever at the screening. It was 13 Hours, Angry Birds, Gods of Egypt, The Finest Hours, The Jungle Book, KFP3, and Kubo and the Two Strings (poor thing got booed to the far depths of hell by that point). Everyone just wanted the movie to start. Literally none of the massive batch of new blockbuster trailers people might actually care about. :mellow:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Haha we all hated the previews. When they ended about three of us (including me) said out loud, "FINALLY."

Make dat money TFA, go go go

Half of the theater was chanting "Star Wars:" through the last half of the trailers.:ph34r:  I woulda probably been a bit annoyed if they hadn't literally been WTF or sucky trailers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I had the most buzz killing trailers ever at the screening. 

5 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Haha we all hated the previews. When they ended about three of us (including me) said out loud, "FINALLY."

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Half of the theater was chanting "Star Wars:" through the last half of the trailers.:ph34r:  I woulda probably been a bit annoyed if they hadn't literally been WTF or sucky trailers. 

You could feel people getting antsy during our trailers.  They did do BvS and Civil Wars back to back.  My wife and kid... neither who were interested in seeing BvS... changed their minds after the trailer.  Wonder Woman pulled in my wife... my Marvel fanboy kid... maybe he is hitting puberty.   Civil War was beautiful in IMAX.

Mod Note... this is not an invitation to start a Marvel vs. DC discussion

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I had the most buzz killing trailers ever at the screening. It was 13 Hours, Angry Birds, Gods of Egypt, The Finest Hours, The Jungle Book, KFP3, and Kubo and the Two Strings (poor thing got booed to the far depths of hell by that point). Everyone just wanted the movie to start. Literally none of the massive batch of new blockbuster trailers people might actually care about. :mellow:

lol I had the exact opposite X-Men: Apocalypse, KFP3, Deadpool IMAX, Warcraft, Batman v Superman, Civil War & Jungle Book.

• Like 3

We got Alvin and the Chipmunks, Xmen, KungFu Panda, Zootopia, BVS, and a long trailer for one of those "Free to Play" mobile games featuring Christoph Waltz and international sell out James Corden.

Zootopia got the biggest and best reaction. James Corden got people shouting at the screen.

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

lol I had the exact opposite X-Men: Apocalypse, KFP3, Deadpool IMAX, Warcraft, Batman v Superman, Civil War & Jungle Book.

We had about the same ( no JB ) but the crowd... after waiting hours... had no patience for them.

Okay, this is my final update for the Friday showtime and sellouts in the Seattle area.

158 Sellouts

723 Showtimes

MASSIVE uptick in showtimes, as a number of locations that apparently decided not to list things at the last minute. Also, the Lakewood Mall theater has come out on top of as the king of showings. Despite just 12 screens, it's got 55 showtimes throughout the day. (This after 36 preview shows, also best in the region.) It's also got an extremely healthy sellout count that will probably only go up, but I'm not going to do rolling checks. I need to see it myself in about 12 hours.

Also, while I was doing the tally, I found out a theater that I thought was closed for renovations had just opened this weekend. I checked and it did have showtimes on Thursday, so I added those back in. (I don't think there were any sellouts.) So that brings the final preview count (mostly done by smerfy01) to: 232 sellouts, 407 showtimes.

• Like 4