#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

15 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

What I ended p doing by accident is spoil people at Red Robin after the movie when I went there for dessert... oops

When my friend and I sat down afterwards, I turned to the guy at the next table and said "We just saw Star Wars. If we talk about it, are we going to spoil it for you?"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bladels said:

I think everyone is being cautious because previews number is skyhigh. 

With 125-130m Friday

If it plays like

DH2: 231-240m OW

THG: 281-292m OW

Marvel: 312-325m OW

I'm thinking 260-270m OW

You have to subtract the previews grosses if you are going to try and do OW multipliers based on past films. $125M would mean a $67M Friday proper. Avengers made about $62M on Friday subtracting previews. How are you getting another $66M on top of the ~$189M that Avengers made without previews if the Friday was only up $5M?

Your low end with Avengers legs would be $204M + $57M = $261M, not $312M.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bladels said:

I think everyone is being cautious because previews number is skyhigh. 

With 125-130m Friday

If it plays like

DH2: 231-240m OW

THG: 281-292m OW

Marvel: 312-325m OW

I'm thinking 260-270m OW

260-270 is probably the correct range. Again, I will hold onto 300 hopes though until I see Saturday. 

The best reaction from Star Wars to me that says it's gonna play well is that my little brother liked it. He says "it was okay" to every movie I go with him to, but after this one he was like "Miles ahead of the Prequel Trilogy" and that it was "great"

The only movie I've seen with him that I heard it's good are comedies, and he hates action oriented stuff, and he loved it.

The power of Star Wars

5 minutes ago, Cedarpoint1111 said:

I feel so left out. Thinking about watching these movies now...

The theatre I go to has every showing sold out until tomorrow 11:45pm. I have never seen that before ever.

In the same boat. I've been wanting to catch them for a while but the only legal way to watch them is to purchase them and I didn't want to do that without seeing if I liked them first. In fact I was surprised they were nowhere to be found on TV this week.  I'm seeing TFA with some friends who are fans tomorrow and I have decided if I enjoy it as much as they say I will I'll go blind buy the other movies. 

Edited by Rman823

3 minutes ago, kswiston said:

You have to subtract the previews grosses if you are going to try and do OW multipliers based on past films. $125M would mean a $67M Friday proper. Avengers made about $62M on Friday subtracting previews. How are you getting another $66M on top of the ~$189M that Avengers made without previews if the Friday was only up $5M?

Yeah. With $130m though it goes up to $280 with TA legs. 

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

In the same boat. I've been wanting to catch them for a while but the only legal way to watch them is to purchase them and I didn't want to do that without seeing if I liked them first. In fact I was surprised they were nowhere to be found on TV this week.  I'm seeing TFA with some friends who are fans tomorrow and I have decided if I enjoy it as much as they say I will I will go ahead and get the other movies. 

I know a couple of people that are doing the same thing. I'll wait until they see it to see if they understand anything before I bite the bullet.

Old fashioned Saturday sellout report.

All 2D shows at Tysons tomorrow morning and afternoon are ~70-80% full (only front rows available), as well as all ETX shows.  Evenings for 2D are a bit lighter right now, IMAX is literally 95-100% all day.  3D's a similar case to 2D, but not as consistent ($17.59 for a 8:45AM :unsure:)

Regal Gallery Place has a number of 2D sellouts throughout the day. 

Only 2 sellouts at Regal Ballston but 37 shows there so hard do so, plus Tysons/Hoffman/DC screens are pretty close by.  

AMC 1 in Uptown DC has sold out 1 of 4 shows.

AMC Georgetown has sold out all 5 IMAX and a 3D and 2 2Ds.

Hoffman's all done for IMAX but nothing else though there's 38 shows.

Nothing at Regal Majestic but there's 50 shows there..

AMC in Columbia Mall looks strong in the mornings and is sold out for all IMAX. 

AMC Potomac Mills is sold out in the morning for all 2D and waning up there for matinees/afternoons.

Arclight Bethesda (42 shows) weak mornings, but looking like 65-75% full from 10AM - 9PM for all shows across formats.  Weaker late evenings for now.

To summarize - both showtime count and business look like all time highs for a Saturday in my area.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kswiston said:

That would mean you completely left out the impact of previews to OW.

Nothing is perfect so i just chose the Forbes' method.

50 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm hoping for:

PRE - $57m

FRI - $70m

SAT - $70m

SUN - $56m 

$253m weekend 

Pretty good estimate. I'm really curious to see if Saturday has an increase minus previews and if so how much. OD was already great with previews like DH2 and rest of proper Friday like TA1/JW, it was hybrid of those 3.   

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

260-270 is probably the correct range. Again, I will hold onto 300 hopes though until I see Saturday. 

My prediction was 254 m.

Some guy said I was drugs.

I guess the weed turns me into a box office prodigy. 

Random idea, rank your favorite movie theater snacks.

Top 4:

Junior Mints 

Kit Kats 

An arm

A leg

See what I did there?