#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

LOL at "Sunday will be weak.  People would rather watch football."

Football would have rather been watching TFA.

As I said in the VIII thread... Disney could own Christmas if they keep this release date for all SW movies

• Like 6

Final Sunday Tally

Sold Out: 29 (28 confirmed one that was at 90% the last time I checked it about 10 minutes before the showing started)

Showings: 79 (two added showings, 7 less than Saturday and 2 or 3 less than Friday)

Two more sellouts than Saturday, but 7 less showings, overall the performance seemed on par with showings that were 65%-80% full yesterday getting 85%+ today. Though it was as strong from 9am-8pm(a little stronger between noon-5pm) it was noticeably weaker after 9pm with showings dropping to around 50%-70% full.

• Like 1

My thing with this is that, yes December is a different animal when it comes to the boxoffice but we have a fairly well established pattern for large openers (particularly record breakers) as witnessed by DMC, SM3, TDK, TA and JW. We talk all the time about following the pattern so why would we expect this to do any differently? As it is now obvious the pattern held up even in December. (Spare me the football - Christmas - school stuff cause each season has their issues ) 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

JW, Avengers, TDK, Avatar, SM1 all had huge sellouts during second weekend. 

So I was wrong.  ( it isn't that hard CAL )

"You said you wanted to be around when I made a mistake"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

Football would have rather been watching TFA.

As I said in the VIII thread... Disney could own Christmas if they keep this release date for all SW movies

It would get tiring every year though. SW will not maintain this popularity as an annual franchise, that's impossible. That's why I'm hoping VIII is actually moved to December 2018. A nice two year cool down after the back to back TFA/Rogue One punches is something I think will frankly be needed. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not to rub salt in the wounds, since I love MJ2, but TFA's OW basically equals MJ2's first 5 weeks. :ph34r:

Try posting that statement here a year ago and you may have been perma-banned for sheer lunacy. 

Theres a MJ2 #1 for 2015 club buried around here somewhere. I remember it.

• Like 4

Just now, vc2002 said:

What's up with the TDK quote in the title? Come on this is Star Wars the king of all franchises and there are tons of quotes we could use for a title. We dont need quotes from other movies.

That's what I've been telling myself every night this weekend.

The force made me do it...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It would get tiring every year though. SW will not maintain this popularity as an annual franchise, that's impossible. That's why I'm hoping VIII is actually moved to December 2018. A nice two year cool down after the back to back TFA/Rogue One punches is something I think will frankly be needed. 

I disagree.

I was talking about the main storyline every 2 years with the spin-offs every other year.

It would become a tradition.

Leave May for the Comic Book MOvies