#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

When do actuals come out?

I post those since at leat 2 hours as they get released

2 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

To make or not to make an actuals thread?

I asked as I started, if this thread is correct (I guessed, so the rules still apply and so on) and got a like by a mod or admin. for it = I assume this here it is

• Like 1

Baumer, I would like to ask you to reopen the BvS OW > SW OW club. I dont find it fair at all that just because you think it wont happen for whatever reason, the others cant have an opinion on it. I would be in that club, thank you very much. And I dont think there is any resonable reason for it to be closed since it doesnt break any rule.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Sagemode87 said:

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but this movie doesn't deserve to beat Avatar. Unlike Star Wars, Avatar was built on pure word of mouth, almost no hype upon release. TFA is from a  franchise continuing from a 40 year legacy, hype was inevitable. What Avatar did is to be respected in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Sagemode87 said:

Sure, why not go for 2b domestic <_<

51 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Maybe for Domestic, WW is not happening.

52 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

That's your opinion. JW was an amazing film. Don't get the hate it's receiving. It deserved every last dollar it got. It's possible to like JW, TA,  Avatar, and TFA at the same time.

22012c735f263789b3f94d00c3659c18.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ash Skywalker said:

You should've seen Deepika's movies though. She's stunning in whatever she does. And Priyanka is nothing less.

I have no idea what is a Deepika but I see Priyanka weekly in Quantico and she is awesome. Quantico being a very popular show is also why the movie got released here. 

• Like 1

So we will allow Actuals to be posted in this thread for this weekend only. We usually make a separate thread for Actuals, but I think it's safe to make this weekend an exception. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

I have no idea what is a Deepika but I see Priyanka weekly in Quantico and she is awesome. Quantico being a very popular show is also why the movie got released here. 

Deepika Padukone. She's a great Actress. Soon you'll know. But google her.
 Ah the Quantico, doing many favors for Priyanka. Good to know it's released there

Edited by Ash Skywalker

1 minute ago, Ash Skywalker said:

Deepika Padukone. The name is enough. LOL. Ah the Quantico, doing many favors for Priyanka. Good to know it's released there

The show defeated The Walking Dead in ratings here. They were at the same time in different channels and Quantico won almost every week. The Goddess powah of Priyanka. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

Are you honestly going to tell me Fox or Time Warner wouldn't want those merchandising rights at a very least? No wonder Iger is so happy in that picture when Lucas signs it over. He cared wayyyy too much over who would take it forward but I guess legacy does mean more than $ to some. His famous mega divorce shows he thinks with his heart often. $2b in Disney stock when it was in the $80s I think isn't too shabby either. Just should've got more.

Yeah, I think legacy did play some part in his decision-making, as Lucas was never a true financial mercenary and he knew that the SW franchise had the best chance of long-term success and would leave a better legacy in Disney's capable hands (given how Marvel played out) than in, say, Fox's hands.

I don't agree, however, with the hindsight perspective that $4B was a "bad" or "too low" sale price from Lucas' perspective.  When Lucas sold the company, there hadn't been a SW movie in 10 years, and the prequels had a left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.  Lucas neither had the marketing savvy or power of Disney, nor was there any guarantee that Lucasfilm on its own would get the right director, the right script, and put together the right marketing plan in the way that the monolith-that-is-Disney could -- and did. 

Had Lucas retained the intellectual property and crafted together another Phantom Menace based on Lucas' story outlines (which were jettisoned by Disney), or gotten a hack director, it may well have driven a lot of the value out of the SW franchise, and we might be lamenting how stupid he was to not take $4B (which was at the end of the road more like a $6B deal for him). 

So, the basic point is that Disney added a lot of value to this franchise based on its unique abilities to craft the movie, hire the director, expend probably close to $400M+ in producing and marketing the film.  The value that Disney imparted is not the same value that the franchise had to Lucasfilm stand-alone - and Disney and Lucas surely knew that.  Moreover, does anyone doubt that Lucas hired the best attorneys and accountants on the market to run the numbers to get a decent present and future market valuation?

Lastly, as others mentioned, Lucas got $2B in stock price.  It wasn't in the 80s when he sold Lucasfilm - Disney stock was about $50!   Moreover, we don't know the actual strike price of the stock and the options baked into the deal, but his effective value in the stock may be well be $4B to $5B today compared to $2B in November 2012.  Not too shabby.

At the end of the road, it was a win-win deal for both parties.

Edited by DarthOpeningGross
  • Like 2

Peter Sciretta ‏@slashfilm 1 min1 minute ago

'Bad Santa 2' and Clint Eastwood's 'Sully' Land Fall 2016 Release Dates http://bit.ly/1Jp4Nj0

Amazon Studios/Road…
Chi-raq          $119,819     -79%     1,576     $76       $2,431,364

Magnolia:
Entertainment    $6,919    244%    3    -4    $2,306    $39,460    
NOMA: My Perfect Storm    $2,987    --    4    --    $747    $2,987
The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun    $297    --    2    --    $149    $297