#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

MODERATIONG: PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS EVEN UNDER SPOILER TAGS. ALSO, DO NOT QUOTE SPOILERS.

E, you're fine.

Also hit the report button.  I'm likely to see that quicker then a reply in the thread.

7 minutes ago, James said:

Baumer, I would like to ask you to reopen the BvS OW > SW OW club. I dont find it fair at all that just because you think it wont happen for whatever reason, the others cant have an opinion on it. I would be in that club, thank you very much. And I dont think there is any resonable reason for it to be closed since it doesnt break any rule.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

You are so lucky the soviet union collapsed. I am sure you would be locked up in the gulag for life, which is about 3 years life expectancy.

Thank Ronald Reagan your alive!:worthy:

8 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

So we will allow Actuals to be posted in this thread for this weekend only. We usually make a separate thread for Actuals, but I think it's safe to make this weekend an exception. 

I'll keep the 1st post updated.

It's not like i'm supposed to be working or anything :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarthOpeningGross said:

Yeah, I think legacy did play some part in his decision-making, as Lucas was never a true financial mercenary and he knew that the SW franchise had to the best chance of long-term success and would leave a better legacy in Disney's capable hands (given how Marvel played out) than in, say, Fox's hands.

I don't agree, however, with the hindsight perspective that $4B was a "bad" or "too low" sale price from Lucas' perspective.  When Lucas sold the company, there hadn't been a SW movie in 10 years, and the prequels had a left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.  Lucas neither had the marketing savvy or power of Disney, nor was there any guarantee that Lucasfilm on its own would get the right director, the right script, and put together the right marketing plan in the way that the monolith that is Disney could -- and did.  Had Lucas retained the intellectual property and crafted together another Phantom Menace based on Lucas' story outlines (which were jettisoned by Disney), or gotten a hack director, it may well have driven a lot of the value out of the SW franchise. 

So, the basic point is that Disney added a lot of value to this franchise based on their abilities to craft the movie, hire the director, expend probably close to $400M+ in producing and marketing the film.  The value that Disney imparted is not the same value that the franchise had to Lucasfilm stand-alone - and Disney and Lucas surely knew that.  Moreover, doesn't anyone doubt that Lucas hired the best attorneys and accountants on the market to run the numbers to get a decent market value?

Lastly, as others mentioned, Lucas got $2B in stock price.  It wasn't in the 80s when he sold - it was about $50!   Moreover, we don't know the actual strike price of the stock and the options baked into the deal, but his effective value in the stock may be well be $4B to $5B today.

At the end of the road, it was a win-win deal for both parties.

My bad on share price, Disney has gone up so much last 2-3 years it's hard to keep track. My point was more about what he could've conjured up in a free market bidding war which clearly didn't happen. He knew he wanted to make a deal w/ Disney so it very much looks like a win-win.

7 minutes ago, James said:

Baumer, I would like to ask you to reopen the BvS OW > SW OW club. I dont find it fair at all that just because you think it wont happen for whatever reason, the others cant have an opinion on it. I would be in that club, thank you very much. And I dont think there is any resonable reason for it to be closed since it doesnt break any rule.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

You are so lucky the soviet union collapsed. I am sure you would be locked up in the gulag for life, which is about 3 years life expectancy.

Thank Ronald Reagan your alive!:worthy:

Lol what? The previous record lasted a few months. This will be the same. Either way, I wanna ener that club and I cant. And what's the connection with the Soviet Union? Im not from Russia.

• Like 1