#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

BJs Grades:

The Force Awakens 8.4-9.4 A-/A (need a 2nd viewing to pin it down, good chance TA end up my fave)

The Avengers 8.9/10 A

Iron Man III 8.3/10 B+

Jurassic World 7.2/10 B

Age of Ultron 5.9/10 C+

• Like 1

The only problem with reserved seating for everything is it kind of eliminates being able to go to a movie on a whim during busy times. I mean, even if the theater's packed there's always the chance you can show up close to start and maybe luck into getting a seat. The theater I have that is all reserved tends to be all booked several hours out on busy days or for a big movie. There's no spur of the moment moviegoing. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah you say this in theory, but in practice the UK has it right. The only reserved seating at my local Regal is for IMAX and Regal's PLF brand RPX. I gladly pay extra for the RPX reserved seats over going to a regular show and dealing with the free for all to get a decent seat. Plus RPX is a much bigger screen of course, lol.

There is a couple of AMC theaters now doing reverse seating 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The only problem with reserved seating for everything is it kind of eliminates being able to go to a movie on a whim during busy times. I mean, even if the theater's packed there's always the chance you can show up close to start and maybe luck into getting a seat. The theater I have that is all reserved tends to be all booked several hours out on busy days or for a big movie. There's no spur of the moment moviegoing. 

As someone who lives somewhere that just started getting reserved seating within the last year or so, trust me, it's worth it. It was so awesome when I didn't have to show up to GoTG an hour or two early to not get shitty seats.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

As someone who lives somewhere that just started getting reserved seating within the last year or so, trust me, it's worth it. It was so awesome when I didn't have to show up to GoTG an hour or two early to not get shitty seats.

It's worth it if you know what your plans are. I certainly don't always know when I'm gonna go to a movie with someone hour out though. And in those cases it kinda wrecks being able to go on a whim. On weekend or busier times at least. 

The guys on collider were saying earlier their local AMC reckoned had they been able to do completely reserved seating they'd have done 30% more business over the weekend. The long lines and people thinking they just wouldn't be able to get in or get a good seat has left people at home. Where as with Jurassic nobody expected it to be THAT huge so people showed up without all the hype of it being sold out/record pre-sales etc. 

Interesting. 

We've got used to complete allocated seating in the UK now. I think the unreserved in the US probably helps early shows where more people might show up than normal because they know they're likely to get a great seat with less effort. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can't remember the last time I went to a movie as a spur of the moment deal. So I just figure the reserved seating is a very good thing overall. Need more of it in North America.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

right now I am relatively certain it will get a Best Picture nomination. You can feel the buzz right through the whole movie industry. I think it's in. 

I would be quite surprised if TFA gets a best pic nom. Maybe the sheer buzz will bruteforce it into the top 5.

Avatar benefited very little from a nomination.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I can't remember the last time I went to a movie as a spur of the moment deal. So I just figure the reserved seating is a very good thing overall. Need more of it in North America.

Well all my friends know I'm the one who will almost always go to a movie with them if I'm not busy, so I get last minute offers all the time. So yeah, doesn't always work for me to know hours out I'm seeing something. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's worth it if you know what your plans are. I certainly don't always know when I'm gonna go to a movie with someone hour out though. And in those cases it kinda wrecks being able to go on a whim. On weekend or busier times at least. 

It's still good. Stuff like Star Wars selling out showings weeks or months in advance isn't the norm. But honestly, if you don't believe me that standing in line like that sucks, just show up to your next reserved seating show 2 hours early and just stand there. Then do it a few more times. Gets old real fast.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

Just now, Elessar said:

I would be quite surprised if TFA gets a best pic nom. Maybe the sheer buzz will bruteforce it into the top 5.

Avatar benefited very little from a nomination.

It kept it steady though. Wouldn't have hurt it. Even before the official nominations day the awards buzz was only ever going to be a positive. 

Don't forget there can be up to 10 movies nominated for Best Picture now. 

24 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

E, can you try to use the paste-return method for posting the pics? Otherwise the forum software doesn't auto-scale them.

The what?? I'll just omit the pics. I'm clueless.

Just now, Orestes said:

It's still good. Stuff like Star Wars selling out showings weeks or months in advance isn't the norm. But honestly, if you don't believe me that standing in line like that sucks, just show up to your next reserved seating show 2 hours early and just stand there.

I believe you. I have stood in line for movies way too much of my life. Especially when you add in those free advanced screenings. Used to go to those a lot, and you always have to be there at least an hour early and wait in line for a seat. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Think about it this way, if you show up whim of the moment you're going to get bad seats anyways.  You know an hour out?  You have a chance to get decent seats, maybe not for Star Wars, but any other movie?  Yeah.  I got my Jurassic World tickets a few hours out, spur of the moment thing, reserved seat and didn't have to worry about lines for a seat.

Theyre worth it.