#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

5 minutes ago, Rth said:

Maybe :)

Amazing isn't it, happened before of cause but for Arclight to top it when 3 other thrs near by playing as well

There's a lot big numbers nothing wrong with how Seattle did

Yep and with Yonge/Dundas playing as well Scotia was well over 70% of the business between two sites

Yeah as mentioned b4 Arclight H insane...other bad enough list gets done

Yep and phenomenal what all 3 combined took...totally insane

also if you combine Ontario Palace with Mills30 be in top 5

did gangbusters

Was Portage 16 #1 for Indiana? A friend of mine who works there gave me some mindblowing numbers and I'm curious if there were any higher

1 minute ago, darthdevidem01 said:

I object! ROTS FTW!!! Haha but yes true... :( ROTS will start to be lumped with TPM and AOTC very easily soon enough. 

It is gonna lose that "best of the new ones" mindshare amongst the majority fast :( 

Start to be lumped in with them? This already happened. It got a pass when it first came out because it was better than the other two and it had Vader plus it directly tied in to ANH and it was the "last SW ever" so people wanted to love it. A couple years went by and that sentiment began changing. Sith is still better than the other two, but there is a whole lot of garbage in Sith too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Start to be lumped in with them? This already happened. It got a pass when it first came out because it was better than the other two and it had Vader plus it directly tied in to ANH and it was the "last SW ever" so people wanted to love it. A couple years went by and that sentiment began changing. Sith is still better than the other two, but there is a whole lot of garbage in Sith too.

Its fun to watch though imo 

16 minutes ago, Jay Salahi said:

Honestly I won't even go to a movie if I have to sit in the back. Its shoving money down the toilet. Its basically the same field of view as a 60 inch from a couch. 

I feel you. Depends on the auditorium but even for our biggest screen, which is bigger than some IMAX screens, so a very decent size, if you sit on the back row it really is the same size as a TV screen.

11 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

I don't care if I see the four corners. It means I can see the whole frame....

the opposite is also true: you can still see the whole frame, just not at once. You move your eyes about, which means you're exploring more of the image, and it can certainly make you feel more immersed.

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Sounds like she is lucky. 3D is awful. It makes the screen look smaller, the glasses are distracting as fuck, and it's pretty ridiculous you can't really move your head around much or it becomes a mess. Plus if you're one of the unlucky ones like me, you get headaches from it as well.

I'm the same. I have poor eyesight and I'm not sure the design of 3D works for me, as I can usually see multiple layers to every image, especially when things move. It's distracting, makes the movie look much flatter than 2D (ironic), and gives me headaches. With 30% light loss and wearing two sets of uncomfortable glasses... I'll pass. Only film I've ever seen where the 3D was worth watching for was THE WALK.

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Unless you go to theaters with small screens not really. Plus 2/3rds back is where the best sound quality is. 

well, generally the bigger the screen, the further back the seats will go, so that's not really true - you can be in a massive screen and from the back it looks small.

As for "2/3 back is where the best sound is" - this is BS. Everyone always says this to me, but I challenge you to watch a movie 2/3 back, then watch it closer to the front, and tell me you had an audibly worse experience. Anyway if you sit closer to the front its louder so that can only be a good thing :P 

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't believe you.... I can't

200_s.gif

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Biggest consquence from TFA huge sucess and overwhelming reception...

ROTS wont be held be in such high regard as its no longer the best SW films since 1983. 

Yea it is :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

I object! ROTS FTW!!! Haha but yes true... :( ROTS will start to be lumped with TPM and AOTC very easily soon enough. 

It is gonna lose that "best of the new ones" mindshare amongst the majority fast :( 

ROTS has always been lumped with the prequels.

Anyway, I actually disagree with this whole "ROTS is gonna be forgotten" stuff. Most fans already want to forget the prequels, but after TFA there may actually be a revisiting to the prequels and newfound respect by some people. Most people agree that for better or worse, a lot of TFA is copied from the original movie. So some people may respect the prequels more for shaking things up a little and finding a new, if misguided, direction for which to lurch the franchise.

20 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Is there an laser 3D in NYC?

This is the current list of laser IMAXs:

TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX – Hollywood, CA
AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX – San Francisco, CA
AMC Universal CityWalk Stadium 19 & IMAX – Universal City, CA
Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theatre, Jordan’s Furniture Reading – Reading, MA
Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX – Toronto, Canada
Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly, VA
Boeing IMAX and the Pacific Science Center – Seattle, WA

• Like 1

I don't think TFA is gonna give a new respect for the prequels. If anything, going by how often I hear Ren as "Anakin done right," I'd say it would lower them if it were possible.

edit: It could get even worse still if the rumors about Christensen being in VIII are true. Even if it's just a small role, seeing him in a Star Wars film with a director who gives a crap about actor performances aren't going to do the prequels any favors.

Edited by Orestes

3d is awesome, provided the theater has good equipment that is well calibrated. If the choice is between good 3d and 2d, i'd always chose the former.

Gonna go see TFA in IMAX laser later this week. Can't wait to try it out. First time laser for me...

7 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Anyway if you sit closer to the front its louder so that can only be a good thing :P 

You're doing to your ears what you're doing to your eyes... drowning out detail and/or image software with intensity. Yuck. :)

(btw, some of your criticisms of 3D are reduced or even disappear if you sit further back).

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

This is the current list of laser IMAXs:

TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX – Hollywood, CA
AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX – San Francisco, CA
AMC Universal CityWalk Stadium 19 & IMAX – Universal City, CA
Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theatre, Jordan’s Furniture Reading – Reading, MA
Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX – Toronto, Canada
Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly, VA
Boeing IMAX and the Pacific Science Center – Seattle, WA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

RANK THE TOP 5 OW MOVIES:

TFA

Avengers

Iron Man 3

AOU

JW

I'm biased in favor of SW, so...

SW7

TA

AoU

JW

IM3

24 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

Hopefully the bigger consequence is people will move on from the prequels and stop shitting on them every time Star Wars comes up in a convo.

Might make it worse.    Kinda like if you were sitting in a bar flirting with a girl and Chris Hemsworth came in and sat down next to you.    

You suddenly get a lot uglier.