#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Just paste the link to the pic and hit return. After a moment or two, the software will auto-embed the image for you. :)

Ok that's what I was doing before. I was trying to eliminate the extra step. No problem.

• Like 1

Local Regal recently applied for and was granted an alcohol license by the city. A tiny independent chain called Cinergy opened a new theater here in 2013 with booze and they generally get a lot more business than the Regal. Funny thing is I think Regal does a better job with their presentation. They have very good quality Sony digital projectors with proper brightness and color saturation. But you are at a big disadvantage when your only concessions are popcorn, candy, and soda compared to a place selling alcohol, burgers, pizzas, sandwiches, salads, etc. in addition to the normal theater junk.

Will be interesting to see if the new alcohol license causes any change in the town's movie behavior. The Regal is located right across from my apartment in a very popular part of town (near Wal-Mart, Target, and a ton of restaurants). The other theater is pretty much in the middle of nowhere but people go out of their way because it's the newer place.

Edited by redfirebird2008

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I believe you. I have stood in line for movies way too much of my life. Especially when you add in those free advanced screenings. Used to go to those a lot, and you always have to be there at least an hour early and wait in line for a seat. 

Reserved seating is great. It eliminates any concern or worry about getting seats, plus, for pretty much everyone except college kids (and younger), it gives you a lot more options for seeing movies. If I'm going to a show with friends or family, I'd rather spend the time beforehand having a nice dinner out with them, or something. Not standing in line and hoping we got there soon enough to get great seats and debating when to try and hit the concession stand.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's worth it if you know what your plans are. I certainly don't always know when I'm gonna go to a movie with someone hour out though. And in those cases it kinda wrecks being able to go on a whim. On weekend or busier times at least. 

But as reserve seating become more popular. People are far less likely be buying tickets way in advance. 

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Reserved seating is great. It eliminates any concern or worry about getting seats, plus, for pretty much everyone except college kids (and younger), it gives you a lot more options for seeing movies. If I'm going to a show with friends or family, I'd rather spend the time beforehand having a nice dinner out with them, or something. Not standing in line and hoping we got there soon enough to get great seats and debating when to try and hit the concession stand.

Yes, I agree and get all this. It's a great thing for the most part. I just still think reserved seating creates the mentality with people that you book hours out. Opposed to if it wasn't reserved, some of those same people would just be showing up to the movie last minute because they're not gonna wait. This then creates more opportunity to go see a movie on a whim then if it were reserved because it would be sold out by then. Again, that's the only downside for me though, and it is pretty much irrelevant if you're going in a big group because then you won't get decent seats going on a whim (who does that in a big group though). I have gotten decent seats showing on a whim for a busy movie with just one other person though. 

• Like 1

Unless it's a movie that has extraordinary demand (limited release art-house/Oscar contender, huge record-breaking blockbuster) it's still pretty easy to get good seats with reserved seating. My wife and I decided to see JURASSIC WORLD on a whim, on its opening Saturday, and we snagged solid seats with no problem at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Is it just me, it does anyone else kinda want to see a film that takes place in between ROTJ and TFA (that actually has to do with stuff leading up to TFA). Or, if not a film, maybe a trilogy of canon novels.

I think there are books and comics that do that already, so we probably won't get films. At least not for a while.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Is it just me, it does anyone else kinda want to see a film that takes place in between ROTJ and TFA (that actually has to do with stuff leading up to TFA). Or, if not a film, maybe a trilogy of canon novels.

Not sure how this would work because you can't really exclude Han, Luke, and Leia and at the same time all three actors are too old to be playing their characters from 10-30 years ago. Wouldn't want to replace them with actors either. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Not sure how this would work because you can't really exclude Han, Luke, and Leia and at the same time all three actors are too old to be playing their characters from 10-30 years ago. Wouldn't want to replace them with actors either. 

Yeah, their age is a big problem. What's done is done. If there was going to be a sequel to Jedi that covered this part of the story, it should have happened in the 1990's.

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Unless it's a movie that has extraordinary demand (limited release art-house/Oscar contender, huge record-breaking blockbuster) it's still pretty easy to get good seats with reserved seating. My wife and I decided to see JURASSIC WORLD on a whim, on its opening Saturday, and we snagged solid seats with no problem at all.

Maybe it's just an atypical thing at the theater I have that is all reserved. It is extremely hard to get any decent seats less than an hour out for most anything on a weekend. It annoys the hell out of me quite frankly, since it's the closest theater to me. A lot of the theaters don't have many seats though, so that's probably the real problem. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, their age is a big problem. What's done is done. If there was going to be a sequel to Jedi that covered this part of the story, it should have happened in the 1990's.

They could do a movie without the main characters. They are making new books in between VI and VII they have new characters. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah. It would have to be set no earlier than 10 years before TFA and they'd need to start filming within the next 2 years and use a lot of makeup. :P

But Ford would never agree anyways, so it's still a moot point. 

• Like 1