#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

5 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

I am confused if we are talking 120 million for Friday, why is 300 million not the projection? The only comp that makes any sense to me is Jurassic World. With 120 million on a Friday, TFA will tip over 300 million for OW. I predicted 250 million, but why is 300 million not being discussed seriously? Sunday drop due to football? December myth again? Front loaded to to fan boys? 

Similarly to Deathly Hallows - Part 2, the ratio of Thursday night previews to preview-free Friday gross was a bit more than 1 ($63.5M / $57M).

For the HP finale, Saturday dropped compared to its preview-free Friday gross. For SW7, I think a slight increase is the most we can expect. Breaking JW's Saturday record is getting less likely. Therefore 120.5 + 65 +55 takes us to a $240M opening. (Not saying this will be the final figure but it is a likely one)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

Alright, easy now. I understand your frustration but is BB8 really a spoiler? He's in the trailer and clearly as many of our sig's and profile pics. We just said it's name, not what it does or anything.

Okay, i'm calm. And no, the name of BB8 isn't spoiler to me. But there were some more spoilerish comments, which were deleted.

3 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Sure but JW did 81 with previews on Friday. So TFA is 50% higher already. Seems like high 200s makes more sense to me unless TFA is hugely front loaded, which it may be since the actual Friday numbers are not that much higher for TFA vs JW. But Sat Sun for TFA may be crazy anomalies still.

That's not how box office is working. Thursday gross doesn't matter when you predict the Friday->Saturday bump.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

MODERATION:

If anyone thinks or feels someone is spoiling anything at all about the movie, instead of lashing out and attacking everyone PM myself, CJ, or any other mod with the exact URL where the spoiler is so that we can help. From there we'll work something out and see what the spoiler actually contains. Yelling out "fuck you" to people doesn't solve anything.

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

There aren't any spoilers in this thread for Christ sake

10 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

Alright, easy now. I understand your frustration but is BB8 really a spoiler? He's in the trailer and clearly as many of our sig's and profile pics. We just said it's name, not what it does or anything.

BKB basically revealed the key moment of the movie 3 pages ago. That is what everyone is talking about. Apparently most missed it thanks to this thread moving fast. I have already hidden it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Sure but JW did 81 with previews on Friday. So TFA is 50% higher already. Seems like high 200s makes more sense to me unless TFA is hugely front loaded, which it may be since the actual Friday numbers are not that much higher for TFA vs JW. But Sat Sun for TFA may be crazy anomalies still.

They were basically even at $63.5m for TFA and $63.45m for JW for Friday business. JW was very backloaded with only $18.5m in previews. 

• Like 1

Just now, hasanahmad said:

Reading reports that Saturday is looking at bigger crowds this morning than Friday on Twitter 

Yeah with people in school and work yesterday I always figured Sat matinee/early shows would be > than Fri ones.

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

They were basically even at $63.5m for TFA and $63.45m for JW for Friday business. JW was very backloaded with only $18.5m in previews. 

It was but JW  was also released in summer when kids weren't in school.  Almost all schools were still in session yesterday.

Just to throw out an alternate viewpoint on why the number came in at 120:  Perhaps people who hadn't done pre-sale tickets were deterred from coming out.  They felt that all the shows would be super crowded and they could get out Saturday/Sunday after the opening day crazies had dissipated.  I'm going to say it's about 15% bump today from non-preview Friday (which seems like it's become pretty standard for most of these tentpoles), so about 73, maybe 75 if it bumps big with families.  And ultimately, this is all just insanity in terms of numbers so let's just enjoy the ride, ya?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FTF said:

Would love for you to be right...but with the massive $57m burned off from Thurs night previews, Sat and Sun could be a little lower and give us a $225m-ish ow.

Which is still amazing though obviously lol

And you;re forgetting about all of the presales that will go towards today and Sunday.  

Regardless of what the weekend number is, whether its 225 or 250, it demolished the December OW number.  Eviscerated it.  It actually might even triple it.  So there's your perspective.  And this is just the beginning.  The weekday numbers are going to be ridiculous and this film will probably have 600 mill by the end of the first weekend in January.  Avatar is in jeopardy.  I think it's fair to say that this will exceed a 3X simply because it's Christmas season.  So 800 is possible.  If anyone is trying to downplay this, look at the whole picture.  This is box office history here.  This is why we love to track box office, for weekends and seasons like this one.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

And you;re forgetting about all of the presales that will go towards today and Sunday.  

Regardless of what the weekend number is, whether its 225 or 250, it demolished the December OW number.  Eviscerated it.  It actually might even triple it.  So there's your perspective.  And this is just the beginning.  The weekday numbers are going to be ridiculous and this film will probably have 600 mill by the end of the first weekend in January.  Avatar is in jeopardy.  I think it's fair to say that this will exceed a 3X simply because it's Christmas season.  So 800 is possible.  If anyone is trying to downplay this, look at the whole picture.  This is box office history here.  This is why we love to track box office, for weekends and seasons like this one.

The next 2 weeks are gonna be magnificent as FUCK. 

• Like 1