#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

9 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Holy crap, some company must've bought out showtimes for its employees or something. The AMC Burbank had 17 sellouts from 8:40am to 11:45am.

I just counted 19 sellouts between the three theaters on MT.  18 at the large one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackspider said:

I just have a feeling Friday was "muted" a bit following the massive turnout on Thursday. I think we're in store for a historic Saturday which has always been the strongest day BO wise for the PT.

That's usually the case for any film with earlier Thursday previews - deflates Friday a bit so Sat. jumps tend to be relatively strong.

The problem with this was that 57M upfront is unprecedented, so we didn't know if demand was just burned off or if demand level was so much higher that the behavior will be the same, just on a massive scale.  We'll find out soon which one it was, but our anecdotes would suggest like the latter.

• Like 5

Star Wars products (toys, books, clothes, videogames) are expected to generate $2B to $5B in 2015, if we add the $2B of SW7's BO and the sales on DVD, BRD and VOD later this year you could say Disney will get its $4B for LucasArts back soon enough :P

19 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Holy crap, some company must've bought out showtimes for its employees or something. The AMC Burbank had 17 sellouts from 8:40am to 11:45am.

Probably Disney. They used to do that when I managed there years ago. For their Burbank and Glendale employees and their families. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Why are you guys doing this to me. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Saturday just seems stronger to me. It's playing like current blockbusters where Thursday previews deflate Friday gross but inflates the Friday to Saturday jump. Right now, I'm thinking 70-75M Saturday. 250M OW would be back on. 

• Like 1

I blame Deadline yet again for getting our hopes up for 135-140m OD. The same shit happened with DH2 as they were reporting 95-100m for its OD. Still, 120m OD is so batshit crazy and it's only the beginning of what is going to be a historic run and I can't wait to see what else this thing can pull off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mepal1 said:

I always find it a little strange that BO previews, in this case Thursday are added to the Friday figure, as sometimes previews can be a full BO day.

The reality is that SW7 has made somewhere around $63+ mil for its Friday take (and not $120+ mil)  in North America, and $57 mil for Thursdays take.

52 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It just goes back to the midnight tradition. When a movie like ROTS, TDK, New Moon, or DH2 opened at midnight, technically the money was part of Opening Day but in reality those midnight screenings provided a ton of extra showtimes for Opening Day. Hollywood is just continuing that tradition with earlier shows Thursday night. 

In addition to what redfirebird said:

You (mepa1) are not right IMHO

1. Thursday in the US is only starting in the evenings

2. Previews do not get all the screens, in the US there are contracts that bind cinemas to show the official 'till Thursday' movies during the key hours and so on

3. Even the old midnight shows are not really the same, those got the full run / all screens, as at that time of day they weren't bound to the contracts anymore

= IMHO at best 1 1/2 days or less, see reduced screens

IMHO it isn't that important which system a country uses as long as the system is used country-wide, and consistantly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Crazy to think that SM3 is the last movie to break the OW record while also setting the new Fri-Sat-Sun daily records as well. I'm hoping TFA can break the trend and pull it off.

It would need 76M+ for Saturday and 65M+ for Sunday. It's going to need 260M+ OW to have a chance.