#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

According to Alfred, this may have just broken the OD record in the UK, which would put it close to $15m. Fucking insane. That would put it on track for a $50m+ opening ($300m+ equivalent in the US). 

Opening day record in New Zealand, Australia and now the UK.  

Now just for the USA and Canada.

The Five Eyes.  It's power.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

CJohn is not serious with his 300M OW prediction....

right?

Sadly, I can see perfectly logical ways it goes anywhere from 170 to 300, all with previews at least at 45m. 

I really need to come to a conclusion so I can do my derby and winter game predicts.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

is it even possible for this movie to gross 300m? that's almost 36 million people, i mean... are there enough seats for 36 million people?

18 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

average ticket price doesn't take 3d into account?

anyway, TFA would need a 72,500 average, which is insane considering that only movies in less than 20 theaters achieve that.

From about 09-onwards (3D boom), the only ticket number that is accurate on BOM is the yearly/quarterly tickets sold.  For each individual film, they don't calculate the 3D or IMAX share, they just use the yearly average 3D/IMAX splits, so the numbers aren't accurate.  3D films are overestimated and 2D films are underestimated.

JW, for example, sold between 19.2-19.8M tickets on OW, not the near 26M that BOM is reporting.

With similar 3D/IMAX/PLF splits to JW (35%/10%/8%), a record 22.5M tickets sold would yield a gross of 237.7M.  This would be:

111.1M 2D

82.4M 3D (RealD)

24.1M IMAX (2D/3D)

18.8M PLF

Basically, IF the splits remain the same as JW, anything from 230-237M is in the same territory as TDK/SM3/TA1.  If we're hitting 240.0M, its likely that the attendance record has fallen.  

BUT IMO, its shares are going to be higher due to A.) sellouts and B.) high IMAX/premium demand.  2D sellouts will force folks into 3D shows, and the general awareness/marketing push for IMAX has just notably strong.  The shares for both of those will likely be higher than JW.  I'm imagining something like the following:

40.0% 2D

38.0% 3D (RealD)

12.0% IMAX (2D/3D)

10.0% PLF

At this level, a record 22.5M tickets sold would yield a gross of 246.5M.  This would result in splits of:

90.7M 2D

93.7M 3D (RealD)

29.4M IMAX (2D/3D)

24.6M PLF

IF such splits occur, 237-246M is in the same territory as TDK/SM3/TA1.  If we crack 246M, its likely we're looking at a marginal new OW attendance record.  At 250M, its almost a sure thing (unless the 3D share is even higher).

Now just for fun, how many tickets would a 275.0M and 300.0M OW be?

At the JW splits:

275.0M = 26.0M tickets

300.0M = 28.4M tickets

At the latter splits:

275.0M = 25.1M tickets

300.0M = 27.4M tickets

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Nothing definitive yet but Thursday shows here are already well over the equivalent of 40M. Will crush 50 and potentially exceed 60-65M

I would say MJ1 and MJ2 entire opening day was done in 4-5 hours here. 

Not hating on mJ1 2 just a numbers comparison.