#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

14 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

I absolutely agree but those numbers... are too magnificent to be true. Can you imagine if this goes over 800M, let alone 875M or 1B? This place will explode :lol: 1B DOM and Avatar WW record might go down.

$1B Dom would be crazy, wouldn't it? 

I'll say this: If there's one movie that can pull that off this decade, it's this one. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
typo. :)

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Those Fucking Wall Street guys ...

While we believe the strength of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (estimated at $2.6 bn in global box office) will lead to Disney modestly exceeding consensus expectations for fiscal (Sept) 2016 earnings, we now believe consensus earnings are too high for FY2017 and far too high for FY2018. We believe if Star Wars Episode VII does not exceed $2.0 billion in worldwide box office revenue, Disney will miss our FY2016 and consensus earnings estimates as well.

:rolleyes:

Maybe they want the Disney value to drop so they can buy low.

Who knows with those people?

3 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

No one here is saying 1 billion is in play.  All I said is a reasonable multiplier based on several factors, is 3.5.  But if it manages that elusive 4X, then a billion is in play....a lot of X factors there.

I think what's skewing this is the only holiday time comparison we have is Avatar, a box office freak.  That and we've never seen an opener this large in this time frame, so we don't really know how the weekdays will really play out.

Crazy thing is, I think $800 million is a worst case scenario.:ph34r:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Oh, like I said to Tele yesterday, I'm not saying it's locked to beat Avatar, but if you take into consideration the time of year it is, how much it's liked, the fact that it's star wars, and a few other factors, a 3.5X seems reasonable.

It's a near-lock. 240m OW with a 3.3x gets it to 792m. (I think it's possible its legs are "weaker" because of so much pent-up demand. Same thing happened with ROTK).

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, FTF said:

But how did everyone playing fantasy football also have the time to go to the movies?!?

According to Twitter they did it while waiting in line.:lol:

carlos@c_los_says 4 hours ago

In line for & all these straighties talkin fantasy ?. Idk. They just say names & stats. Im so lost.

• Like 6

The amazing thing about this potentially beating Avatar is that it will be the first time a sequel has taken the DOM crown. I guess it had to happen eventually and I won't be sorry to see Avatar taken down a peg but it may be a sign that the days of the original four-quad blockbuster are gone. I don't think any unknown property, even one from a filmmaker like Cameron, will be able to beat this.

• Like 2

Just thinking things through here.  Presale volume was highest for Thursday, then Friday, then Christmas Day.  100M confirmed by mid-week last week and saw figures as high as 139M by Thursday night.  

How close was Saturday to Thursday/Friday in presales?  Consider it still has a whole 5 days to build on whatever that figure was.  Lots of potential here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It's a near-lock. 240m OW with a 3.3x gets it to 792m. (I think it's possible its legs are "weaker" because of so much pent-up demand. Same thing happened with ROTK).

Isn't it making more than 240 m OW?

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

If this does 240, it needs a 3.75 multi to reach 900. Considering TPM got a 4.07 multi from it's 5 day I don't see how it misses 900M.

You can't really use holiday and non-holiday multipliers. It doesn't work that way... especially using a '99 film for comparison.

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Star Wars is bigger than LOTR though, and this is the first good Star Wars movie in 30+ years.  Even RedLetterMedia has song its praises! :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Those Fucking Wall Street guys ...

While we believe the strength of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (estimated at $2.6 bn in global box office) will lead to Disney modestly exceeding consensus expectations for fiscal (Sept) 2016 earnings, we now believe consensus earnings are too high for FY2017 and far too high for FY2018. We believe if Star Wars Episode VII does not exceed $2.0 billion in worldwide box office revenue, Disney will miss our FY2016 and consensus earnings estimates as well.

:rolleyes:

With all due respect, Star Wars is only a small piece (yes small) of their earnings story (every additional $100m in BO revenue only counts for $.02 of additional earnings per share). The bigger concern right now is cord cutting affecting ABC/ESPN & their other channels.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 2