#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, druv10 Maul said:

Maybe, I think in Summer SW7 could have done 75M+ on Saturday but I get your general point. 

Yeah, I really believe 300 was possible in the summer. But as I already said earlier in this thread, 250 in December is even more insane than that would have been in some ways. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, if only it could have made 1m more on Sat to beat JW's. I know it's silly given how huge its weekend is, but that is seriously bugging me now. The whole weekend should belong to The Force dammit! 

Don't worry, Disney's getting Puerto Rico ready for the additional 1M Saturday needs. 

120.5M

70M

60M

250.5M OW, all of our problems solved. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

As far as demand goes, maybe that is indeed the cap. Technically it should be possible for more though. 

When I saw TPM... they took the line we waited in ( for 3 hours ) and lead us into the theater and just filled row after row of people... no choosing seats.

My AMC24 last thursday... IMAX was 'sold out'.  However they didn't require everyone to fill in the empty seats and there were at least 20-30 empties.  They obviously left some slack.

When I peeked into all the big shows... they were all like that.  80-90% full.

I think theaters are choosing customer satisfaction over filling every seat these days.  It doesn't hurt that there isn't much need for screens for other movies right now. 

That might change next week.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Okay, so here's a question, when was the last time a movie broke the opening weekend record and then went on to become the highest grossing movie domestically?

Has this ever even happened before? 

Jurassic Park. I think Jaws before that. So basically once every 20 years we get a movie that breaks the OW and the DOM records. As if we needed more confirmation how special TFA is. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Also, I think the higher Sun's number ends up being...the softer the drop on Mon due to business spilling over.  How many people who were turned away from seeing the long lines are going to try and go this next week?  It's going to be an amazing ride these next few days!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Weekend Thread pages tho...

Not a record.

Are you really surprised about that after giving strict rules of behaving and what not to post, like comparison to other movies...?

I really like those rules btw, the thread is still fastly enough growing to be difficult to read all posts (what I try to do)

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

I am not sure there s even 10 Avatar apologists on this board, I sense so much passional hatred towards the blue people, its weird really.

Beside my hubby I do not know anyone in RL who didn't like them at least. But hubby does not like Star Wars, MCU, DC, ... tons of actual movies neither.

He loves French film noir of the '50, also Tati, Truffaut, Jarmuch, Chabrol, Melville, Kubrick,...

I like those and a lot of the actuals too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Okay, so here's a question, when was the last time a movie broke the opening weekend record and then went on to become the highest grossing movie domestically?

Has this ever even happened before? 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

According to this, it hasn't happened since Jaws was released. Jurassic Park came close to beating E.T.'s first theatrical gross, like within $2M of it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, druv10 Maul said:

Love the new title, AndyLL. We need a Joker quote maybe about "Chaos". 

Don't know why I've been using Nolan quotes this weekend... I'm not a fanboy.  

37 minutes ago, bladels said:

RTH broke the forum AGAIN

Maybe we need to get a new server for @Rth 

Spoiler

sexy-waiter1.jpg

• Like 6