#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, water said:

what a disappointing number. not 57m, which is obviously huge, but 71% male. that's abysmal. that means among women this did $57m * 0.29 = $16.5m. dh2 midnight adjusted did $45.7m * 0.54 = $24.7m among women. new moon midnight adjusted did $28.74m * 0.80 = $23.0m among women. and neither of those account for 3d. if tfa did as well among women for previews as dh2 midnight did it would have done $70.3m previews (coincidentally my prediction was 70m) and if it did as well among women for previews as tfa did among men it would have done $91.2m previews. hopefully the final weekend breakdown is closer to 50/50 but wow if there was a box-office-related time to be disappointed in the sexism in the geek community it would be now.

yNGIq7w.gif

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, water said:

what a disappointing number. not 57m, which is obviously huge, but 71% male. that's abysmal. that means among women this did $57m * 0.29 = $16.5m. dh2 midnight adjusted did $45.7m * 0.54 = $24.7m among women. new moon midnight adjusted did $28.74m * 0.80 = $23.0m among women. and neither of those account for 3d. if tfa did as well among women for previews as dh2 midnight did it would have done $70.3m previews (coincidentally my prediction was 70m) and if it did as well among women for previews as tfa did among men it would have done $91.2m previews. hopefully the final weekend breakdown is closer to 50/50 but wow if there was a box-office-related time to be disappointed in the sexism in the geek community it would be now.

How is TFA previews not appealing (relatively) to women sexism?  Like genuinely, I don't understand.  That's ~1.6M women that went out to see this last night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'm actually going to be surprised if Sunday holds well Tele based on your hypothesis, there should be a lot of demand burn off today & tomorrow.   I'm expecting a harsher Sunday drop with a really nice Monday recovery.

Could definitely turn out that way, we'll have to see.

1 minute ago, spizzer said:

How is TFA previews not appealing (relatively) to women sexism?  Like genuinely, I don't understand.  That's ~1.6M women that went out to see this last night.

things like twilight and thg show that nerdy fan properties can appeal to women much more if the fandom isn't sexist against them. older nerdy fandoms have a history of being hostile to women. i'm not blaming the movie, i mean it has a female lead and lots of female characters, i'm blaming the broader fandom for starting shit like "fake geek girl" memes and whatnot

10 minutes ago, water said:

Please explain.  Who is sexist?

I would think that the more hard core and driven fan would be the men.  To me it's only natural that the numbers on preview night would sway towards males.  The numbers will certainly balance out a bit as the run gets deeper.  I don't know what sexism has to do with anything.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'm actually going to be surprised if Sunday holds well Tele based on your hypothesis, there should be a lot of demand burn off today & tomorrow.   I'm expecting a harsher Sunday drop with a really nice Monday recovery.

I've seen some people mention Avatar's first Sunday that dropped only 3%, but that is a bad trap to fall into. Avatar's Saturday gross was deflated by a horrible snow storm on the East Coast, kinda like Ultron's Saturday was deflated by the boxing match and other sports events (it dropped an unheard of 11% on Sunday in May as a result).

Other films that have opened the weekend before Christmas usually drop 20-30% on Sunday. That's what I'm expecting for TFA unless there is enough sellout spillover to help it achieve a drop around 15% or something like that.

• Like 3

Just now, water said:

things like twilight and thg show that nerdy fan properties can appeal to women much more if the fandom isn't sexist against them. older nerdy fandoms have a history of being hostile to women. i'm not blaming the movie, i mean it has a female lead and lots of female characters, i'm blaming the broader fandom for starting shit like "fake geek girl" memes and whatnot

Have you seen TFA yet? Once you do, you'll see how it well it will appeal to women.

12 minutes ago, water said:

Awww...you had a chance to talk logical box office.   i.e....not appealing as much to the female audience could hurt its chances at the top records.  (Titanic/Avatar)

But you had to wedge the "sexism" thing in there...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I've seen some people mention Avatar's first Sunday that dropped only 3%, but that is a bad trap to fall into. Avatar's Saturday gross was deflated by a horrible snow storm on the East Coast, kinda like Ultron's Saturday was deflated by the boxing match and other sports events (it dropped an unheard of 11% on Sunday in May as a result).

Other films that have opened the weekend before Christmas usually drop 20-30% on Sunday. That's what I'm expecting for TFA unless there is enough sellout spillover to help it achieve a drop around 15% or something like that.

Good insight thanks.

13 minutes ago, water said:

Its more sexist for YOU to think that women themselves cant go to the movie and watch it. Women have the right to show up or not. They didnt. I am surprised with a female lead they didnt show up which means maybe just maybe they are not as much into it as men? Don't speak for other women or think that women are weak enough not to show up by themselves like men do.,

• Like 1

Just now, Talkie said:

After all the overheated hype on this site the preview number is a little surprising. I thought it would be a lot more based on the sellouts people were reporting.

You thought it would be a lot more?!? How much were you thinking? This is was very near the top end for me.

Just now, hasanahmad said:

Its more sexist for YOU to think that women themselves cant go to the movie and watch it. Women have the right to show up or not. They didnt. I am surprised with a female lead they didnt show up which means maybe just maybe they are not as much into it as men? Don't speak for other women or think that women are weak enough not to show up by themselves like men do.,

Yup. Women didn't show up because sexism or something hidden in the SW fandom, whereas somehow Twilight is now a part of nerd culture and provides a look at the other side of the spectrum. (I don't think sarcasm is the word I'm looking for here. maybe facetious?)

I can only hit my head against a desk so many times. Maybe, just maybe, some women aren't looking for a scifi/action/fantasy romp with lightsabers no matter how empowered the female lead is?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Have you seen TFA yet? Once you do, you'll see how it well it will appeal to women.

what? i just said "i'm not blaming the movie, i mean it has a female lead and lots of female characters". of course it will appeal to women, but the hostile fandom makes them feel not welcome. the fact that there are already some of you saying "well maybe it just doesn't appeal to them as much" proves the very sexism in the fandom i'm talking about. it does appeal to them just as much, but then you say shit like that and make them feel unwelcome.