CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

6 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Another point is that Avatar actually did phenomenal in China for its time (much smaller market 6 years ago). Avatar made over $200 million there, and even that figure is not locked for TFA. It would have to increase substantially from $200 million to even stand a chance of overcoming all the decreases in other markets.

Yeah, as I said in the SW OS/WW thread a few days ago, that actually literally adjusts to 1200m+ in today's China!! Avatar was unbelievable OS, absolutely on an another level. Its OS performance for its time can only be compared to Titanic's (Titanic's was obviously even superior though). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shruth said:

As incredible as Titanic's 20x multiplier run was it is nowhere close to how insane E.T.'s run was. go look at E.T.'s grosses on a day to day basis. Its weekdays were just as good as it's weekends and even though it grosses $1.1 Billion domestic it never even crossed $15 million on a single day. Its ridiculous and the more you look at it the more u will be mind blown. it was making over $1m a day a year into its run. End of case

For sure but it was way different back then. You often got movies making more in their 4th weekend than they did in their opening weekend. Huge legs was common for most films then as well. There was none of this upfront demand we see today.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

More of a confirmation that Avatar won't be coming Christmas 2017 (shocking!) Read this last sentence

:rofl:

I didn't read that. Yeah, he gives no fucks. 

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

For sure but it was way different back then. You often got movies making more in their 4th weekend than they did in their opening weekend. Huge legs was common for most films then as well. There was none of this upfront demand we say today.

There was upfront demand, there just was not enough upfront capacity/supply to meet demand. No 20-30 screen multiplexes and not anywhere near as many theaters playing films right off the bat. Return of the Jedi played in only 8 Houston theaters on opening weekend. I bet Force Awakens was in well over 100 with way more screens at each theater.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

For sure but it was way different back then. You often got movies making more in their 4th weekend than they did in their opening weekend. Huge legs was common for most films then as well. There was none of this upfront demand we say today.

Yeah, doesn't take away from E.T.'s performance though. It had even better legs then most movies back then. Then again, being considered an "excellent" film probably helped.

• Like 1

I dont know if anyone else agrees, but Xmas 2009 will never be beat. Avatar, Holmes, and Alvin were ridiculous. Alvin wouldve done over $70 it didnt open on Wednesday! Its Complicated surprised, and TBS and TPATF were legging out like ive never seen.

While this SW run is legendary, I wish the wealth was spread more. I know yall hate Alvin, but imagine if Alvin and Sisters had pulled $30M+.

Thats why Xmas 09 will always be #1. Wish we couldve seen a little more of that here. Maybe the Xmas releases will surprise, but I dont know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Which is why Avatar's legs 12 years after Titanic are as impressive IMO. The snow storm OW definitely helped a little towards getting it to 10x. Probably should've opened to $85-$90m otherwise.

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I dont know if anyone else agrees, but Xmas 2009 will never be beat. Avatar, Holmes, and Alvin were ridiculous. Alvin wouldve done over $70 it didnt open on Wednesday! Its Complicated surprised, and TBS and TPATF were legging out like ive never seen.

While this SW run is legendary, I wish the wealth was spread more. I know yall hate Alvin, but imagine if Alvin and Sisters had pulled $30M+.

Thats why Xmas 09 will always be #1. Wish we couldve seen a little more of that here. Maybe the Xmas releases will surprise, but I dont know.

Point Break and Daddy's Home are coming. 

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Yeah. 09 is a box office Christmas that I'll never forget. I don't think will ever see anything quite like it, thanks to streaming and online. Star Wars is doing massively, but anything else, released this week or likely next the week, will pale in comparison.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

More of a confirmation that Avatar won't be coming Christmas 2017 (shocking!) Read this last sentence

What happens first, we get back to Pandora or we get to Mars?

NASAgraphic55ann.jpg

• Like 2