CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

No one (credible) on this site had anywhere near the Monday total, & this is is quite an optimistic group here. Monday did 2/3 of Friday day business. That's just not possible at this level lol.

You mean before release right, cause after Rth's Sunday numbers plenty of us had gotten on the 40M train.

Even most high side predictions weren't expecting it to hold so well Fri-Sun (minus previews), I think anticipation of reception was a bit more mild than it actually turned out to be (super positive).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

Avatar's run was probably the third most fun I've ever had tracking box office.  What an incredible run.

Do people not respect history? I really don't get how you can hate on Avatar other than not liking the film which is fine but the BO run? Adjusted it's the highest attended movie of the 21st century (so far) even w/ 3D & it wasn't an established franchise (other than James Cameron).

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 4

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

This might end up topping that run from an entertainment standpoint. Enormous opening is fun as hell, plus insane legs on top of it. You can't ask for much more.

No doubt.  My favorite runs that I have been able to follow closely:

1. The Force Awakens

2. Titanic

3. Avatar

In a class of their own since I've been following.

1 minute ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

No doubt.  My favorite runs that I have been able to follow closely:

1. The Force Awakens

2. Titanic

3. Avatar

In a class of their own since I've been following.

The Force Aewakens is your favorite box office run?

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Kudos to the brand Star Wars, how beloved the world & characters still are that George Lucas created some 40 years ago. TFA - the movie itself - has very little to do with its success. It's a solid adventure movie, i give it that.

Nothing to do with its success....

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

That's Cameron's genius - he timed Avatar's release to coincide with beneficial exchange rates.

I guess that's why Avatar 2 keeps getting delayed. He's waiting for ER to improve.

Just now, stuart360 said:

The Force Aewakens is your favorite box office run?

Absolutely.

My favorite franchise crushing everything in it's path and beating the loftiest expectations a film has ever been given?

No doubt.  The most fun I've ever had watching the #'s come in.

1 minute ago, Empire the Lesser said:

giphy.gif

Yeah WOM is through the roof. It would obviously be enormous regardless, but it would not be getting the type of holds we are seeing if people didn't love the movie.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2

Just now, Empire the Lesser said:

giphy.gif

Every OT film was basically an adventure film. ANH, classic hero's journey. ESB, escape and peril. ROTJ is basically a rehash of ANH with finality/new locations.

We wanted an adventure film because that's what Star Wars IS. Not some political trade negotiation drama crap. Adventure. That's the point.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-monday-box-office-record-1201670879/

Overseas where Force Awakens counted $41.7M upping hits foreign cume to $322.7M, the J.J. Abrams-directed movie posted its highest grossing Mondays ever in Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, UK/Ireland and Ukraine. Below is breakdown of the foreign cumes in major territories:

United Kingdom, $59.4M

Germany, $31.4M

France, $26.9M

Australia, $22.4M

Japan, $15.9M

Russia, $13.3M

Mexico, $12.7M

Italy, $10.4M

Spain, $10.3M

Brazil, $9.6M

Korea,$8.7M

Sweden, $7.4M