baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

10 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I just don't like Avatar, IMO it is a boring movie with a ham-handed political message and lousy story. And it was Green. Lots of Green on the screen. And that's coming from a BIG James Cameron fan, I love his work, well all of it save for that.  It's really the only top box office film I don't like. E.g., I didn't think JW should have exploded like it did, it didn't have any depth to it at all, but I enjoyed it for the slick roller-coaster thrill ride that it was and actually appreciated its simplicity coming after the convoluted plot of Ultron.

But Avatar, bleh. 

I agree with that much. I thought AOU was the big letdown of 2015. JW wasn't a great film, but I thought it delivered everything a summer action movie should. But when I think of the all-time top grossing films, it's the odd man out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Just for the record so someone puts this out there, that small drop from estimates to low $37s means Amazing Spider-Man still holds the record for tickets sold on any Tuesday (which was its 1st day of release as opposed to 5th for TFA).

:redcapes:

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Are people going on about $1 billion? Do yall realize how many tickets that is? Cuz, its like 100,000,000. 

The $800 dream is real, but we need to be cautious with $1b. Still way too early in the run.

Of course people are going to talk about $1B!  This is the first time it has ever even been a possibility, so let's have fun with it!  

If it wasn't the holidays we probably wouldn't even think about it, but all it needs is a 4x.  Which makes this not impossible. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Are people going on about $1 billion? Do yall realize how many tickets that is? Cuz, its like 100,000,000. 

The $800 dream is real, but we need to be cautious with $1b. Still way too early in the run.

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't top Titanic admissions now (1.3B).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Titanic> all.

Agreed.  it's top of the list going around with TFA, then Avengers, the JW, then Avatar which isn't bad, but is utterly forgettable to me so therefore not good either :P 

Edited by 75live

29 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No, but it could will win biggest non-opening Wednesday.

FTFY

9 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I don't really follow the Xmas box office but it does seem this movie will take down Avatar in the US.

International will be a lot more complicated because Avatar's 3-D share was pretty much 100% in many territories (there weren't any 2-D showings in my corner of South Africa at all).

The Force Awakens doesn't have that advantage.

100% 3D shares for Avatar ? Avatar was the first movie in 3D (modern era at least) and many cinemas didn't have a 3D system back then, a lot had made the investment espcially for Avatar but still a lot didn't. Though people were going out of their way to see it in 3D, 2D showings have probably still done a lot.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Of the top 40 films WW only one is a non-franchise movie (Titanic).

Building franchises is the name of the game because they bring in the most money.

Studios don't gamble 200 million per movie to make artistic statements. That's a good way to end up going bankrupt.

Well to be fair, some of them started their franchise so they were original at their time. And some haven't started their franchise yet like Avatar or Frozen.

6 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

That $140M-$180M second weekend being predicted by Variety would mean only a 27%-43% drop! Crazy!

That's a pretty vague estimation that. I predict it will be between 0 (ok at least 10) and 400M$ personnally :)

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Yeah, hoping (seriously) for 1B$ is setting yourself up for disappointement, 800M$ is a realistic goal, even 900M$ maybe but it's too eraly to speak of 1B$.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Just for the record so someone puts this out there, that small drop from estimates to low $37s means Amazing Spider-Man still holds the record for tickets sold on any Tuesday (which was its 1st day of release as opposed to 5th for TFA).

LOL, no it doesn't, the facct that it was a Tuesday yesterday means tickets were sold at a lesser cost, so it obviously sold more than TASM<.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Of course people are going to talk about $1B!  This is the first time it has ever even been a possibility, so let's have fun with it!  

If it wasn't the holidays we probably wouldn't even think about it, but all it needs is a 4x.  Which makes this not impossible. 

If it was in the summer, we'd still be talking about it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spizzer said:

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't top Titanic admissions now (1.3B).  

You'er going to be disappointed then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Are people actually buying 1B domestic??

Let me re-phrase your question...

Are people buying that a movie released over the Christmas holidays with great WOM can over a 4 multiplier?  

• Like 13

GUYS, it's literally a third of the way there in 5.5 days with the major holiday period still ahead and a 2nd weekend that conservatively will break the old record by 20M and a potential 3rd weekend >100M with exemplary WOM and considerable presale volume remaining.  I'm having a difficult time envisioning it missing a billion (the Titanic comment was tongue-in-cheek, but even that IMO is a high-end scenario).

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

Avatar is locked. It needs a 3x. It's christmas. Thats easy.

But cloudy the future is. Because of the astounding first 4 days we have all been using avatars daily drops and future drops as a model for this. We can't do that simply because this opened so much higher. There's no way it can sustain this kind of pace going forward.

I'm sure everyone is well aware that Avatar's holds can't continue. Luckily TFA needs a mere 4x multi for 1b, not Avatar's 9.7x.