baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

23 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Sellouts seem to be picking up here, I think the estimate is going up friends.

Don't worry, by the way, I've got my foot perfectly positioned to go into my mouth as soon as Rth comes back.

Save your foot to put in Grey's ass so he can fuck someone's car up. It's going up dammit 

8 minutes ago, tokila said:

Disagree. I know people who were planning on passing on going but now plan to see it because everyone is telling them how awesome it is. Its actually quite a few people I know. So yes the WOM is making a difference. 

Please read the posts carefully, before commenting, as you completely mis-understood my post, which i was replying to someone else who had misunderstood the previous posters comments. Yes of course WOM is important, BUT its not the only reason why people are going to see the film. :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Don't be ridiculous.  Seriously, this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time about box office.  People know there's previews on Thursday so they go.  If there were no previews, they'd all go on Friday and you'd get the same number.  

Star Wars has the Friday record.  Plain and simple.  And if you say otherwise you are only looking at one part of the equation.

Strictly speaking you are not correct. I'm all in favor of taking the preview numbers out of the "real" / true Friday numbers. TFA is a perfect example as to why it makes sense. You can claim that everyone who went on Thursday would have gone on Friday, but the reality is that it is physically impossible. There were not enough screens to satisfy that level of demand in one day. The capacity does not exist at this time for one movie to haul in over $100M in a day. We've seen a few times now, starting with Avengers, what a maximum day and weekend look like. What TFA did was, more or less, what JW did just with a bigger preview, the same way JW was a minor bump over what TA did. If we measure what a film can really make in a weekend, and we mean all sellouts (or as many as reasonable) the max is about $210M in a weekend.

I'm not a fan at all of how previews are counted. It was one thing when they were limited to midnights, but at this juncture we need a new way to track them. Counting that as Friday money is misrepresenting reality. What's going to happen when movies start "previewing" on Mondays and Tuesdays. You know that's going to happen eventually.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DarthWalker said:

All movies increase on Tuesday

no they dont. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

click into all of the top movies and select daily box office. Look at 1st tuesday. All I checked (about 25) except Titanic drop from their 1st Monday to 1st Tuesday. Then factor in that TFA is operating at the highest level ever and you quickly realize it would have been world shattering for it to even drop by 1 or 2%. Going up like Titanic would spell a domestic tragetory way over 1.5 billion.  

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

Please read the posts carefully, before commenting, as you completely mis-understood my post, which i was replying to someone else who had misunderstood the previous posters comments. Yes of course WOM is important, BUT its not the only reason why people are going to see the film. :rolleyes:

I was referring to the idea that WOM was irrelevant. Which is simply false. 

2 minutes ago, tokila said:

no they dont. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

click into all of the top movies and select daily box office. Look at 1st tuesday. All I checked (about 25) except Titanic drop from their 1st Monday to 1st Tuesday. Then factor in that TFA is operating at the highest level ever and you quickly realize it would have been world shattering for it to even drop by 1 or 2%. Going up like Titanic would spell a domestic tragetory way over 1.5 billion.  

Amazing, even frozen fell on its first tuesday

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Strictly speaking you are not correct. I'm all in favor of taking the preview numbers out of the "real" / true Friday numbers. TFA is a perfect example as to why it makes sense. You can claim that everyone who went on Thursday would have gone on Friday, but the reality is that it is physically impossible. There were not enough screens to satisfy that level of demand in one day. The capacity does not exist at this time for one movie to haul in over $100M in a day. We've seen a few times now, starting with Avengers, what a maximum day and weekend look like. What TFA did was, more or less, what JW did just with a bigger preview, the same way JW was a minor bump over what TA did. If we measure what a film can really make in a weekend, and we mean all sellouts (or as many as reasonable) the max is about $210M in a weekend.

I'm not a fan at all of how previews are counted. It was one thing when they were limited to midnights, but at this juncture we need a new way to track them. Counting that as Friday money is misrepresenting reality. What's going to happen when movies start "previewing" on Mondays and Tuesdays. You know that's going to happen eventually.

All that is fine and good but read the reports TFA did sell over 100m in tickets in less than 24 hours so it is possible, even thought I know the point you are trying to make, it still isn't valid. This is the new normal and it's not so knew since it's been going on for over 3 years now. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DarthWalker said:

All movies increase on Tuesday

Tuesday tickets are discounted in many areas. So a movie that is drawing sellouts and near sellouts will actually take in less money. Same number of tickets sold x less money per ticket = Tuesday drop. Where we see Tuesday increases are in cases where movies are not selling out on Mondays. In those cases, increased sales volume can make up for the discounted price, and then some.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

I agree this recording of previews figures onto a films official opening day does seem to cause confusion. It wouldn't be too bad if all film lets say had there previews on a Thursday, and then added onto Friday. But some films have more than 1 preview day.

A good example of this is here in the UK, where a major British newspaper had an article stating that SW7 had failed to beat the opening of Spectre, but the reality is that SW7 had previews on a Thursday, whereas Spectre had previews going back all the way to its Monday evening opening after the premiere.

As you have said when one looks at the record book for SW7 opening on Fri it will show some $120 mil, whereas in practice it was only some $63 mil.

I think the preview BO should be recorded separately, as just like a normal days gross.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

All that is fine and good but read the reports TFA did sell over 100m in tickets in less than 24 hours so it is possible, even thought I know the point you are trying to make, it still isn't valid. This is the new normal and it's not so knew since it's been going on for over 3 years now. 

Uh, no. TFA did not sell over 100M in any 24 hour period. It made 57M in previews on Thursday, so the actual Friday haul was something like 62M. There's no 24 hour period with 100M there. You're looking at more like 30 hours.

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

First it was Spectre which delivered disappointing grosses. Then it was Mockingjay Part II. Now it's TFA. What a miserable couple of months for BO watchers, well apart from the $600-$700M TFA will gross in its first two weeks.

Well being a Bond fan, i did find the BO a bit disappointing, particularly in N.America, where the critics there were so harsh on the film, unlike in other countries.

But a final gross of around $850 mil, is still pretty good, when you take into account the poor exchange rates, and the fact that the terror attack in Paris cost Spectre dearly at the BO there.

Anyway, apart from Spectre, and those childrens films MJ2 and Peanuts, just about every other film released since the Autumn (Fall), has been pretty much a flop, so i guess everyone has been waiting to take out their frustration by going to see SW7.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Uh, no. TFA did not sell over 100M in any 24 hour period. It made 57M in previews on Thursday, so the actual Friday haul was something like 62M. There's no 24 hour period with 100M there. You're looking at more like 30 hours.

Its quite possibile it made 100 million from 7pm Thurs to  7pm Friday maybe..