Dementeleus

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

9 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

We'll get actuals later this afternoon. We will get CE actuals tomorrow afternoon.

I don't think we will till Monday.  DHD said they expect most studios to report estimates over the holiday period.

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Deadline has now bumped their estimate up to $38.4 million! A small increase but hey, $300k is $300k haha

I see a lot of theaters are staying open later than I expected. Might be looking at $27-$28 million for today.

Where did they say $38.4M?

EDIT: That's the international number.

Edited by FlashMaster659

4 minutes ago, water said:

i dont get it what is the explanation for decreasing tuesday and increasing wednesday instead of the other way around

Tuesday is discount tuesday, typically that'll cause an increase, but Star Wars is selling so much it just made it gross less money when it probably had equal admissions to Monday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, water said:

i dont get it what is the explanation for decreasing tuesday and increasing wednesday instead of the other way around

Part of it is cheap Tuesday. Tuesday almost certainly sold more tickets than yesterday, and may had sold more than Monday. The other part is that as we get closer to Christmas, more people have off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, water said:

Thursday is Christmas Eve, so Wednesday, in some ways, is kind of like a "mini-Friday." Avatar did the same thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, water said:

More people saw it on Tuesday but the ticket price where cheaper. Wednesday had a small drop off since a lot people on vacation and kids/college students are not in school. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, water said:

Discount Tuesday usually increases quantity of demand.  Prices go down, so a significant enough number of people go see films that we can observe marginal gross increases.  Then we see a compensation, because of the extra people that went to see it on Tuesday, overall gross declines.

For this, demand level was already so high on Monday that there wasn't much room for growth.  Demand/volume stayed flat on Tuesday, but with discounted prices in some regions (a lot fewer than usual I might add), gross went down.  However, we didn't have the EXTRA demand that we usually see on normal Tuesdays, so the Wednesday volume decline was much lower.

Conclusion: different demand levels, & not as drastic of a discount.

Here's a more clear way of putting it (don't worry about the specifics, just note the patterns):

Normal Mon-Tues:

Monday - 1M tickets X $10.00 price = $10M Gross

Tuesday - 1.5M tickets X $7.50 price = $12M Gross (+50% attendance, +20% gross)

Wednesday - 0.95M tickets X $10.00 price = $9.5M Gross (-37% attendance, -21% gross)

Star Wars:

Monday - 4.0M tickets X $10.00 price = $40M Gross

Tuesday - 4.1M tickets X $9.00 price = $37M Gross (+2.5% attendance, -7.5% gross)

Wednesday - 3.8M tickets X $10.00 price = $38M Gross (-7.5% attendance, +2.7% gross)

• Like 9