druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Need the weather to clear up. Even though the snow is supposed to stop overnight, temperatures in the low 20's mean frozen roads tomorrow. My company is keeping the office closed tomorrow. 

Good point. May be more like the Tuesday-Wednesday holds that reap the rewards, or even next weekend if the roads stay frozen most of the week.

For that reason, sorry @GiantCALBears but no dice on the bet. I don't control the weather and have no idea if it will be much better by tomorrow. It will make up this money at some point over the next week though, so when you see an insane hold you'll know why. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Good point. May be more like the Tuesday-Wednesday holds that reap the rewards, or even next weekend if the roads stay frozen most of the week.

For that reason, sorry @GiantCALBears but no dice on the bet. I don't control the weather and have no idea if it will be much better by tomorrow. It will make up this money at some point over the next week though, so when you see an insane hold you'll know why. 

Lol you say you will bet on it then immediately back out. Nice conviction there, maybe B/Tele will take me up on it since they are men of their word.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's an odd feeling being in the Midwest and not being part of some big weather event. Just a little rain here

So where are you?  Indiana?  Southern Illinois?  They seem to be avoiding the worst of Goliath (hey, I'm not kidding.  This is officially Winter Storm Goliath.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Lol you say you will bet on it then immediately back out. Nice conviction there, maybe B/Tele will take me up on it since they are men of their word.

LOL. Just because you believe something is going to happen, doesn't mean you have to bet on it.  So if I think TFA will make 25 million on Monday but I won't bet on it I'm not a man of my word? Just trying to ignite things.

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

You initiated the idea, then you backed out on your own bet literally on the same page. No way I would've gotten paid anyways so it is what it is.

You are correct sir, since I sure as hell wouldn't have bet money with you. :lol: Or if I did it would be to donate to the forum like what B/Tele did. What would be the rules of our bet anyways @GiantCALBears? I'm not making a bet where it has to drop exactly between 18-20% or you win. That's way too easy for you. You need to come up with your own prediction range. 

3 minutes ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

LOL. Just because you believe something is going to happen, doesn't mean you have to bet on it.  So if I think TFA will make 25 million on Monday but I won't bet on it I'm not a man of my word? Just trying to ignite things.

Please be quiet.

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it drops below 45m today, I'd be willing to bet a -18-20% hold is coming Monday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I think some of the discussion of inflation adjusted figures is NOT to tarnish the incredible TFA run, but to appreciate it even more. Surely if it becomes the 10th biggest movie ever adjusted for inflation, that's absolutely incredible. That makes it one of the few most successful films of all time by any measure. 

I do think you have to take into consideration eras, though, because I don't like the smug, "Well, if you adjust for inflation, GWTW sold more tickets than any other movie ever." Sure, ok. That's nice. Would it have sold those tickets today? Let's just be a bit honest here, GWTW wouldn't break $100M in the U.S. if it came out today. It would play art house theaters and probably do great with critics, again, and win some Oscars. VERY few people would go see the movie. So adjusting for inflation to get ticket sales numbers is a nice exercise and tells you a bit about the impact of a film, but you can't make TOO much of it.

It's a lot like the whole, "Well, the 1995 Bulls would beat the 2014 Golden State Warriors," or whatever. It's nerdy for the reason it cannot ever be truly decided who would win. But I can tell you, adjust for inflation all you want, we all know if you opened TFA against Gone With the Wind (if it were a new movie nobody had seen before), Star Wars would blow that out of the water. That's why I'm not comfortable with people bringing up 1939 movies in modern day discussions. It's completely irrelevant. The landscape has changed and whatever GWTW did is a historical curiosity and nothing more. 

If someone states it as such, that's a valid and interesting statistic. But if they act like, "Well, TFA really wasn't that big, because GWTW," then it's absolutely silly as Star Wars is a much bigger part of the culture than GWTW has been for at least 50 years. 

They should invent a CGI fight generator between movies. Like Rocky vs the dude in Rocky Balboa

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

You are correct sir, since I sure as hell wouldn't have bet money with you. :lol: Or if I did it would be to donate to the forum like what B/Tele did. What would be the rules of our bet anyways @GiantCALBears? I'm not making a bet where it has to drop exactly between 18-20% or you win. That's way too easy for you. You need to come up with your own prediction range. 

I'm a man of my word, Baumer can verify. If it grosses less than $45m today... & it drops more than 20% tomorrow I win, if it's less than 20% you win. 

• Like 1

On that note, place Force Awakens in 1939, and Gone with the Wind outdoes it across-the-board. The audience simply wasn't there then. Tickets sold, even rough estimates, seem the best way to discuss this. How many tickets could the sell at market price when it was released? There are of course other considerations, but that seems to get to the heart of the matter. How popular was the film in its own era compared to other films in other eras.

• Like 2

The weather is having some kind of impact, to be sure.  Somehow I doubt it's enough to account for a $5M difference.  Maybe half that?  I don't know.

The weekday holds will tell us something.  If they're suddenly Avatar level, we'll know something was really up with the weather.