druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

8 hours ago, a2knet said:

SW's ow surprised me a lot more than Avatar's ow, but Avatar's next days surprised me more than SW so far (which needless to add is itself amazing). Titanic still is the biggest surprise.

Rank the movies that surprised you in descending order of surprise:

Titanic

SW7/Avatar

American Sniper

JW

Frozen

MBFGW #1

It surprised me for months

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

I'm working a split today.  4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on.

I'm going to see TFA in about 45 minutes....this is my fifth time but first by myself since opening night.  I feel like I need an alone day to watch this....take it all in again.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

I'm working a split today.  4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on.

I'm going to see TFA in about 45 minutes....this is my fifth time but first by myself since opening night.  I feel like I need an alone day to watch this....take it all in again.  

Good job :)  You are catching up with my number of views now :P   I've seen it alone 3 times and with people twice

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

Saw joy Saturday as I said in its thread jlaw saves average film from sucking
Seeing concussion Wed
those are the only films of this week I care about may pick up daddy's home in a redbox one boring weekend but that's bout it

Finally getting my 2nd( how do I put this......"official" ;) ) viewing of tfa friday

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Watch all three prequels.  Go in with an open mind.  There is a lot of excellent stuff in there.

Agree.  None of the movies totally work for various reasons but there is some redeeming parts in all three.  I know most people focus on Jar Jar as a big negative (and he is) I still maintain by far and away the worst part of the prequel trilogy is the love story between Anakin and Padme.  The dialogue in basically every scene between the two is horrid and there is zero chemistry there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

60 degrees?! Brrr, I hope you're wearing your parka and gloves.

I walked Scruffy in shorts and a hoodie that day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

Agree.  None of the movies totally work for various reasons but there is some redeeming parts in all three.  I know most people focus on Jar Jar as a big negative (and he is) I still maintain by far and away the worst part of the prequel trilogy is the love story between Anakin and Padme.  The dialogue in basically every scene between the two is horrid and there is zero chemistry there. 

All of the movies work for a litany of reasons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Well the thing is, I don't really trust TDK fans on this one.  

Whoa, what?  Lots of problems here.  What lead you to assume I was a TDK fan?  It's a fun summer blockbuster with an awesome performance by Ledger but suffers from choppy editing, Zimmer's excessive droning, and a campy 3rd act.  Anyway, my opinions on TDK are irrelevant, the validity of my argument is more important, which it seems like you've simply dismissed because you just assumed I'm an irrational TDK fan (and it seems like you're not grasping how the admissions break down).  

I say this because the number of TDK fans who wanted to talk about "admissions" when TDK was passing movies which sold more tickets was around ....zero. 

What does this have to do with me?  When did I do this?  

Then when another movie...and I can't help noticing it's a Marvel movie...passed TDK, suddenly there was great effort among TDK fanbase to talk about admissions and try to twist and massage the 623m Avengers gross into less tickets than the 534m TDK gross. 

Uhh, yeah, its called contextualization.  There's a significant difference in ticket prices because of 3D.  This isn't some revolutionary concept.  I don't really care about making either one look better/worse than the other.

I also can't help remembering all the "Avengers is for kids, TDK is for adults" talk....but then there is no effort to factor Avengers selling more kids tickets into the equation...which would of course boost admissions.    TDK fans kinda play it both ways on that one. 

Well the only account we have on that is the opening weekend of each film. 

TDK:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2504&p=.htm

Warner Bros' research indicated that 52 percent of the audience was male and that there was an even split between those over and under 25 years old.

TA: 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3438&p=.htm

The audience was split evenly between those above and below 25 years-of-age, and it was 60 percent male.

Logically speaking, because we're looking at a May vs. July, the May weekend would draw relatively more children than July, given that they'd have schools running during the week and they'd be more available to watch over the weekend, whereas TDK can have a more even distribution of children coming in during the weekend and the weekdays.  

Beyond that, we have no factual record to suggest that either one of them sold more children's tickets.  That would be an assumption based on nothing but whim.  I don't like assuming things without support, but you seem to be fond of doing so.

And now you want to claim SW7 needs to gross 770 million to pass TDK.   Hmmmm....You wouldn't happen to be one of those "Batman can defeat Superman" people, would you?   ;) 

SW7 needs to sell 73.5M tickets to pass TDK's admissions.  At the estimated opening weekend ticket price, it would take ~$760M for TFA to match that (I was using 74M before Red told me that TDK made 50M in IMAX, which brought its estimate down).  Avatar sold between 75-76M tickets, in order to match/top that at the OW price, TFA needs to gross right around $780M.  As I've made clear before, most films see their 3D shares decline as their run extends.  This means the average ticket price dwindles down as they stay in theaters longer, which means that the super high OW price won't hold.  Ideally, those shares will be reported to us throughout the run (they were for Avatar, its easily verifiable via BOM's writeups that it sold about 74-74.5M tickets +1.0-1.5M more in its re-release).  

I see you were more than willing to post BOM as factual when you liked the TDK number, but now don't want to use them because you don't like the Avengers number.

I've explained this 50 times before.  BOM is using average prices reported quarterly by NATO.  The problem is: that average number has a fixed 3D split, but each individual film has varying 3D splits.  The average price does not attempt to account for each individual film's 3D splits, it just uses the average.  When you apply that to the WHOLE quarter, you get an accurate number, but you're never going to get an accurate number for any single film by itself, thus you must rely on reported 3D splits and do the calculations for each film by itself.

Here, I'll illustrate it a little better:

Let's pretend we have 1 year, with 3 films.  Let's say Year 1 prices are: 2D $5.00, 3D $7.50, and IMAX $10.00.  Apply 3% inflation for Year 2, so 

2D $5.15, 3D $7.73, IMAX $10.30.

Year 1

Film 1 grosses $10.0M, 2M from 2D (20%), 6M from 3D (60%), 2M from IMAX (20%) for a total of 1.40M tickets

Film 2 grosses $9.0M, 5M from 2D (56%), 3.5M from 3D (38%), 0.5M from IMAX (6%) for a total of 1.52M tickets

Film 3 grosses $8.0M, 7.5M from 2D (94%), 0M from 3D, and 0.5M from IMAX (6%), for a total of 1.55M tickets

Total of (10 + 9 + 8) $26M gross and (1.40 + 1.52 + 1.55) 4.47M tickets sold.  

BOM's average price would be ($26M) / (4.47) = $6.04.  Their all time adjusted list or all time ticket sales list would just use that $6.04 price for all three films, instead of accounting for the different 2D/3D/IMAX splits.  These are the attendance numbers they'd give us:

Film 1: $10M / $6.04 = 1.66M tickets

Film 2: $9M / $6.04 = 1.49M tickets

Film 3:$8M / $6.04 = 1.32M tickets

Guess what the sum of those ticket estimates is?  4.47M, the correct number, yet each film is reported incorrectly (the film with the high 3D share is overestimated by 0.26M tickets, and the film with the lowest 2D is underestimated by 0.23M tickets.  Same problem we're getting with TDK vs. Avengers or JW, TDK has a 9% IMAX share and 91% 2D share, and no other premium formats.  Avengers has somewhere in the vicinity of 40-45% 3D share which also includes an IMAX and PLF boost AND then 4 years of inflation on top of that.  

The problem is that BOM isn't accounting for TDK's 9% IMAX share or Avengers' 40-45% 3D share.  It's just using whatever the average overall price in 2008 and 2012 was (just like I did in our example above), and that ends up overestimating both films, but Avengers more greatly so than TDK obviously, given that its gross split is a much greater proportion of its total.

If you want to talk admissions, well...that puts TDK at #30 on the all time list.   Can't really brag about TDK being in the top 5 if you are concerned about admissions.    Oh wait....that's #6 now, isn't it?   :D 

lol.  Dude, I don't give a damn if TDK's in/out the top 5 or 25 or whatever.  I care about being as accurate and precise as possible.  TDK is # 28/29 on the all time admissions list (tied with the Jungle Book estimate), every film listed above aside from JW and TA is ahead of it.  Avatar is #27.  TFA is going to blow past either of them and have a great chance at cracking the top 10, the first film since Titanic to do so.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

60 degrees?! Brrr, I hope you're wearing your parka and gloves.

I've actually seen Cubans dressed that way for 55 degrees (12 for you OS people) in miami. Chicago tourists were in bathing suits and t-shirts of course