druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, the soundtrack is the only aspect of the film I'm genuinely disappointed on. Nothing new has clicked at all after 3 viewings. Even the prequels all had at least one incredible new composition that could stand up to the OT classics (Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, and Battle of the Heroes). I actually will not be that upset now with Williams not doing VIII. Maybe it is time for some new blood with the music just like it was time for it in regards to directing. 

I wonder who could replace Williams? Giacchino would be good if slightly obvious choice.

I love The Fifth Element too. Good film!

I don't know how someone could be disappointed with the new soundtrack for Star Wars, wow, it's amazing! Rey's theme is just incredible. I can't get it out of my mind. The Jedi Steps / final track is also an absolute favorite. Those are both ones that run through my head all day long. Also the First Order music just after the opening crawl. I think it's an incredible soundtrack! Great work as usual.

2 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

Hmm, interesting. It's a bit more dense than the typical DOR, but her comment about the crowd is weird. My crowd was near sold out and had a lot of laughs throughout it. I think it'll have good WOM despite its oddities.

I think it's interesting to look at it more as a deconstruction of a soap opera (and I believe that's what Russell's aiming for), but whatever made you like it is still good. I think it'll be under-appreciated around here.

Also agree! I think he was taking from both types of storytelling. I'm just more familiar with fairytales and my thesis is stronger haha. 

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

I love The Fifth Element too. Good film!

I don't know how someone could be disappointed with the new soundtrack for Star Wars, wow, it's amazing! Rey's theme is just incredible. I can't get it out of my mind. The Jedi Steps / final track is also an absolute favorite. Those are both ones that run through my head all day long. Also the First Order music just after the opening crawl. I think it's an incredible soundtrack! Great work as usual.

I will forgive your transgressions against FURY ROAD. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bladels said:

TFA has stolen IO's 10th spot in Experts' BP prediction

If indeed TFA get a BP nomination, late legs will be amazing

ScreenShot2015-12-27at10.46.21AM.md.png

It will hardly help. It didn't really help Avatar. Films like that are just too big to have any bump from the awards season.

• Like 2

Speaking of favorite or best films of the year, I still would give it to Ex Machina.

I really love Star Wars. It's an exhilarating experience but Ex Machina made me think about it long afterwards and had even more power with watching it a second time. 

I haven't seen The Martin, Sicaro, The Walk, Joy, The Hateful Eight, The Big Short, Spotlight, Concussion, Bridge Of Spies, Steve Jobs or In The Heart Of The Sea yet but will in the upcoming week. I've seen pretty much everything else that could be a top contender including Room, which was good but not great.

• Like 1

Has anyone else here actually seen Carol / give a crap about it? We watched it the other night. Basically all I got out of it was that I'm supposed to like it because it's about lesbian romance. I tend to prefer a bit more X-rated material when I'm watching lesbian content, personally. :P LOL, j/k. I just ask myself, "If this were a traditional romance, would I care?" The answer is no. Then again, I don't care at all about romance movies. I'm a Nazi with that. I don't even think "romance" is a genre, I think it's an element of a film. It should be a romantic comedy or romance in an action film or a drama with romance. Carol failed on all levels for me. It was supremely boring and didn't engage me at all. The best scene had boobies, that's about it.

• Like 1

Speaking of favorite or best films of the year, I still would give it to Ex Machina.

I really love Star Wars. It's an exhilarating experience but Ex Machina made me think about it long afterwards and had even more power with watching it a second time. 

I haven't seen The Martin, The Revenant, Sicaro, The Walk, Joy, The Hateful Eight, The Big Short, Spotlight, Concussion, Bridge Of Spies, Steve Jobs or In The Heart Of The Sea yet but will in the upcoming week. I've seen pretty much everything else that could be a top contender including Room, which was good but not great.

I'm fully expecting Concussion to have very good legs and can see why it got an A Cinemascore, by the way. It's heavy but not in a way that will repel audiences, as there are plenty of humorous moments (all of which got laughs from my sold out crowd), plus it's similar to other crowd-pleasers like Erin Brockovich.

• Like 1

I just read the last 15 pages.

I don't know WTF this thread has turned into.

Tele's package

ED's lesser package

Lordmandeep going Gangster's Paradise

Star Wars possibility of a nomination 

Nolan getting in here somehow

Mad Max

Oh, and some sprinkling of box office numbers.

See what happens when Tele and ED and Cjohn and Kelly are left unsupervised?

• Like 15

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Has anyone else here actually seen Carol / give a crap about it? We watched it the other night. Basically all I got out of it was that I'm supposed to like it because it's about lesbian romance. I tend to prefer a bit more X-rated material when I'm watching lesbian content, personally. :P LOL, j/k. I just ask myself, "If this were a traditional romance, would I care?" The answer is no. Then again, I don't care at all about romance movies. I'm a Nazi with that. I don't even think "romance" is a genre, I think it's an element of a film. It should be a romantic comedy or romance in an action film or a drama with romance. Carol failed on all levels for me. It was supremely boring and didn't engage me at all. The best scene had boobies, that's about it.

Don't watch Brooklyn. They expect you to care just because it's an Irish/Italian romance. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

I haven't seen The Martin, Sicaro, The Walk, Joy, The Hateful Eight, The Big Short, Spotlight, Concussion, Bridge Of Spies, Steve Jobs or In The Heart Of The Sea yet but will in the upcoming week. I've seen pretty much everything else that could be a top contender including Room, which was good but not great.

Sicario was good. Brutal, but good. I didn't love it, but I liked it. I did love The Big Short and Bridge of Spies. I haven't seen Steve Jobs yet or Heart of the Sea, but have the screeners. I'll watch soon. I am with you on Ex Machina, though, just saw it last week. I bought it on Blu-ray because i missed it in theaters. I loved it! It was very, very thoughtful. That's my kind of movie -- make me think. Give me something to ponder. It was a great movie. I'm glad I just bought it rather than renting.