baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

People used to go to the movies almost every week way back in the day. Now it's a couple times a year for the average person. It's very similar to adjusting sports stats for different eras. We just need to recognize that the market is fundamentally different than it was even a decade ago.

the percentage out of my pupils who were never in a cinema is actual way higher than only 5 years back

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Am I the only one who has problems with changing the page? It's loading and loading but nothing happens.

nope, a lot of people are especially on the mobile version (tablets, phones)

basically if you hit next and it just doesn't load, usually hitting refresh gets the page to actually load

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That would be awesome. I think the New Year's Eve hold will be hurt by the college football playoff. This is a factor that did not exist for Avatar in 2009 and it should be taken into consideration. The college football playoff had enormous ratings last year as the first ever CFB playoff event. I would expect the ratings this year to be huge again. I'm expecting a drop closer to 30% as a result.

True but that should only increase the Friday bump. If it drops 30%+ than 80%+ bump is possible on NY day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Older movies had much smaller population to draw from as well. But all in all it is a more difficult market than 20-30 years ago, that is for sure. Netflix and other streaming services, the Internet in general, a billion cable TV channels, great home theater quality, annoying moviegoers (cell phones, etc.), higher ticket prices, and ridiculously high concession prices all make it less desirable to attend a movie now than the 1990's or earlier.

yes. just take total gross times inflation (not ticket price inflation). Leave ticket sales out of the equation. Just to many variables with ticket sales to properly valuate them in time. I guess I am saying we should go with the real dollar value of a movie (based on current value of dollar in relation to where it was).

Then only real issue in comparing is the relative size of the industry (compared to its relative size in the past) this is also driven by population and accessibility this is mainly is offset by higher competition.

Edited by tokila
  • Like 1

I live in France and I saw the movie on the opening day (December 16th) in english in Paris and I thought it was good.

It has it flaws but what my friends and I all agreed on is that the movie is funny ! The audience laughed at every jokes and all the cast did a good job at delivering them (especially Isaacs and Boyega imo).

Then I saw it again on christmas day with my mum and my sister, where they live (Reims) they only showed the movie dubbed in French.

I prefer to see movies in their original languages but I've grown up watching dubbed movies so it's not a big issue to me.

However SW7 in french is absolutely not funny ! While the dubs are not catastrophic all the jokes fell flat for some reason.

No one laughed ! I then asked my friends and collegues who had seen the movie in french and everyone told me the same : not funny.

The french press gave good critics to SW7 but I'm sure they all saw it in english as they all live in Paris, however WOM will be hurt a lot in France by the dubbed / translation performance. For other non english natives, have you seen the movie dubbed in your language ? Was it funny ? How is it received in your countries ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

People used to go to the movies almost every week way back in the day. Now it's a couple times a year for the average person. It's very similar to adjusting sports stats for different eras. We just need to recognize that the market is fundamentally different than it was even a decade ago.

Yeah, TFA performance is just insane. At least 90m admissions and possibly 100m+ in this time period is crazy. Plus the speed records are ridiculous. $600m in 12 days. $700m in 16 days and $800m in less than 25 days. :lol:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Look into the UK datas, their institute has admissions details till before WWII.

Wayyyyyy more admissions then nowadays. So massive younger people believe them false.

Cinema was then the ONLY possibility to SEE news.

My father-in-law fought in WWI, my father in WWII = both dead now, father in law was Prisoner with the Brits during WWI, both worked with UK and US after WWII

= the ammounts of people pressed into salles (term?) were massive, it played only one movie, there was a hunger for news, meeting people, discussing the news afterwards, watching movies, see the glitz, forget for a time. Not only after WWII also during.

Did you never wonder why there is so much film material existing about a time without (real) TVs?

It's an interesting debate...does the huge increase in population since TV (and other technologies) came along make up for the decrease in moviegoing in the years since, when comparing admissions for the all-time most popular films? There were probably always people who didn't care to go out or could do without the latest technology ("Why do you need to see the news? Aren't the newspaper and radio good enough?"). There were many more theatrical releases from studios in the pre-TV era, and there weren't multiplexes or even places with two screens a lot of the time. The movies with the long shelf lives, that got the re-releases, are the huge exception to the rule. So, there are a lot of factors to consider.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Mods are getting lazy, didn't change the title from yesterday's numbers either...

Take it easy there! We try our best. Most of us work during the day. :ph34r:

Also, I know you were interested in betting for this weekend's gross. Check out the 3rd weekend prediction thread I posted. :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Do we have current numbers for Brazil, Russia and South Korea?

Brazil, I think I have seen something today, can't remeber if it was here in this thread or at international or ???

South Korea 30 December according to KOBIZ

Star Wars : The Force Awakens

U.S.

Dec 17, 2015 $477,662
($19,908,489)
(2,708,275)
612 12.28%
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

I live in France and I saw the movie on the opening day (December 16th) in english in Paris and I thought it was good.

It has it flaws but what my friends and I all agreed on is that the movie is funny ! The audience laughed at every jokes and all the cast did a good job at delivering them (especially Isaacs and Boyega imo).

Then I saw it again on christmas day with my mum and my sister, where they live (Reims) they only showed the movie dubbed in French.

I prefer to see movies in their original languages but I've grown up watching dubbed movies so it's not a big issue to me.

However SW7 in french is absolutely not funny ! While the dubs are not catastrophic all the jokes fell flat for some reason.

No one laughed ! I then asked my friends and collegues who had seen the movie in french and everyone told me the same : not funny.

The french press gave good critics to SW7 but I'm sure they all saw it in english as they all live in Paris, however WOM will be hurt a lot in France by the dubbed / translation performance. For other non english natives, have you seen the movie dubbed in your language ? Was it funny ? How is it received in your countries ?

It won't be hurt  in France, it has very good holds.

However I also watched it in English  because French dubbing can destroy a movie's soul sometimes.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

It won't be hurt  in France, it has very good holds.

However I also watched it in English  because French dubbing can destroy a movie's soul sometimes.

Same here in Quebec. French dub is a big no for me. Last time I watched a french dubbed movie was... 2012? maybe.

edit: Avengers in 2012 is the last time I watched a movie dubbed in French.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

More fun with the Avatar Run:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-30%20at%203.11.0

These records are going to be obliterated so badly that it's going to take a miraculous run and 20 years of ticket price inflation to even approach them.  It took 11 years for another film to approach ET's original release total (Jurassic Park) and another 4 for a film to finally surpass it (Titanic).  Titanic's record took 12 years and 3D to be surpassed.

• Like 2

TOP SINGLE DAY GROSSES BY DAY OF THE WEEK

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $37,361,729 4,134 $9,038 12/22/15 5 $325.4 $600.9
2 The Amazing Spider-Man Sony $35,016,884 4,318 $8,110 7/03/12 1 $35.9 $262.0
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $29,528,583 4,134 $7,143 12/29/15 12 $600.9 $600.9
4 Transformers P/DW $27,851,016 4,011 $6,944 7/03/07 1 $36.7 $319.2
5 Jurassic World Uni. $24,342,515 4,274 $5,695 6/16/15 5 $258.5 $652.3
6 The Dark Knight WB $20,868,722 4,366 $4,780 7/22/08 5 $203.8 $533.3

:ohmyzod:

Edited by Daxtreme
presentation
  • Like 14