CJohn

Wednesday The Force Awakens Estimates - 28M (Rth) | 27.2 - 27.9 (DHD)

I'm visiting my parents this Saturday for new years and we're gonna go see it sometime this weekend(it'll be my third time).  They almost never go to the movies(maybe once a year if that) and I can tell they're looking forward to being the teenagers they once were in 1977 again.  Heh, Star Wars. :)

• Like 2

Just now, Ozymandias said:

I'm visiting my parents this Saturday for new years and we're gonna go see it sometime this weekend(it'll be my third time).  They almost never go to the movies(maybe once a year if that) and I can tell they're looking forward to being the teenagers they once were in 1977 again.  Heh, Star Wars. :)

Nothing like big blockbusters bringing the family together. My family hardly ever goes to the cinema but they saw Avatar 3 times, it was incredible.

• Like 2

I was taking a look at past years' numbers and I found out that some movies actually increase on December 31st... Anyone knows why? I couldn't really see any similarities between the movies that increased in this date.

Edit: Ok, I came to the conclusion that movies that do well on December 31st are PG rated or Award Nominees... i'm don't really get though, are matinees for awards nominees usually strong?

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

I was taking a look at past years' numbers and I found out that some movies actually increase on December 31st... Anyone knows why? I couldn't really see any similarities between the movies that increased in this date.

Edit: Ok, I came to the conclusion that movies that do well on December 31st are PG rated or Award Nominees... i'm don't really get though, are matinees for awards nominees usually strong?

day of the week can matter. if NY eve is Friday it should have a slight increase over previous day. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

But it happens every year, lots of movies fall on December 31st and a few increase. I was taking a look at 2009 and there were five movies which increase on Thursday 31st: It's Complicated, The Blind Side, Up in the Air, Invictus and Did You Hear About the Morgans. Apart from Morgans, all of them were recognized by awards ceremonies. And since they increased again on Friday, they held extremely well in the weekend.

Edited by JohnnY

13 hours ago, smerfy01 said:

Considering I think Cameron's best work is T1 and the rest of his filmography is a slide down from that point, it's pretty easy to deduce what Tarantino is better than Cameron at.

Experimentation within a frame, varying pacing, complex framing, use of palettes within the frame, emphasis on conservative cutting, a bunch of things Tarantino does that set him apart from a great many directors working today.

Cameron is a serviceable director that has an eye for what stories will work for him and he doesn't get in his own way when creating what he wants. That's about it.

:D:lol:

36 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

$20 million Thurs ... will fall just short of JW for dollars made in 2015.

better to err on the side of caution than being optimistic I see?

Haven't been good on your predictions...120 million 2nd wknd? Don't be a contrarian just b/c. There was a guy named Kal-El that has been shitted on in the forums for a good portion of the decade because of it. =) 

{Won't change my opinion even if it hits 20 million}

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

I loved rocky4. Gives tele the big Apollo creed drago punch.... Poww!  Lol.  Happy New Year my famila.  May we all have a prosperous year. 

Have you seen Creed, Kal?

You should if you haven't

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1