#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

1 minute ago, lancer1997 said:

Talk about Lazy reporting. Mon or tues, maybe wed, outside chance on thursday, perhaps Friday, but almost assuredly on Saturday unless it happens Sunday.

one of the reason I post those different articles about the same theme... they differ in their POVs and quality in different areas of writing such kind of articles ;)

DADDY'S HOME earned an estimated $11.476M on Friday. Domestic total is now $76.16M.

The Big Short       $8,900,000    -15%    1,588    3      $5,605    $32,878,117    

Anomalisa               $135,000    --              4    --     $33,750        $208,000

Edited by terrestrial

4 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

All I care about Kal 2.0, is the FORCE AWAKENS is going to crush AVATAR Domestic and that's all I care about.. That's it.. Sure I acknowledge the WW Number, but Domestic is where it's at and this is where AVATAR comes to an end and TFA takes over..

So what is the grand prize?

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Others already answered, but I want to add:

if fudging (especially with estimates, and a bit with milestones, difficult, see other studios get the same data) happens, than usually with the OWs = IMHO for milestones / records help advertising = a lot

OW results can be also a bit tempting based on dom TV rights get calculated out of that

I'll repost the visual charts (released in 2011)

Estimate-Inflation-By-Weekend.png

Estimate-Inflation-By-Studio.png

IMHO Disney (and I think the other studios too) got better since then, as each year less cinemas report their datas manuallyy (and as such often way later than the estimates get released)

more charts to find at BoxofficeQuant

Fudging is different than over-estimating, though. With the latter, you're just over-estimating (either innocently or to snag the Sunday headlines). With fudging, you're actually reporting an actual that's technically inaccurate, and you play with the actual site over the next few days to cover. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

All I care about Kal 2.0, is the FORCE AWAKENS is going to crush AVATAR Domestic and that's all I care about.. That's it.. Sure I acknowledge the WW Number, but Domestic is where it's at and this is where AVATAR comes to an end and TFA takes over..

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

World Wide is the total amount of money the film has grossed, while "Domestic" is just a part of that number.

59 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I saw NO ONE on here declare that after OD.  All I remember was you saying it had bad WOM after one day of numbers.  You keep saying it's an easy sell, but go back and watch the trailer.  There's really nothing there about someone being a self made success. You point to that being the reason for a good OD while I would argue it's because it's the new Jennifer Lawrence movie.  I don't think WOM is great, but my viewing seemed to enjoy it.

Yep, here in the US, the ads/trailers were pretty muddled and if anything, for a long time they seemed to be hiding the mop aspect, even though everyone knew it was about JLaw playing the Miracle Mop lady, yet they'd rather show her with a rifle or De Niro wisecracking. What? The best trailer I saw for it was from the UK, it seemed a lot more focused about a woman making a success for herself despite the odds. The US ads eventually got around to selling that angle but the advertising could have been a lot more focused. I would put its domestic OD down to JLaw/Home Shopping fans turning out (Joy Mangano did a lot of appearances/press for the film as well) than the fact that it was such an easy sell here. Star power can only do so much for the overall box office; ultimately people have to like what they see. The budget is high for the sort of movie it is, but without JLaw, maybe the studio doesn't want to make Joy at all and it never gets made.

I definitely remember a sermon about Avatar trying to sway the unknowing masses away from Christianity. My mom (who pretty much only goes to the theaters for stuff like Courageous and War Room or "uplifting" racial moves) knew I'd seen Avatar and wanted to grill me about its religious content. She seemed somewhat placated to know it was set on another planet, presumably where they didn't have Bibles and wouldn't automatically be condemned to hell for not being Christian. I don't think the religious backlash will be as big of a problem for Avatar 2 as much of the world simply moving on from the story after so many years.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I've never seen so many people suddenly obsessed with inflation and convinced estimated ticket sales as the true worth of a movie's performance. 

The secret Star Wars haters are coming out in force, claiming it's "just about the facts" and they're "just asking questions."

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I've never seen so many people suddenly obsessed with inflation and convinced estimated ticket sales as the true worth of a movie's performance. 

I've seen it every time a big movie nears the top of the charts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I was merely pointing out how impressive it was for Titanic to have been the #2 highest grossing DOM film for 19 years. Inflation plays a part of that impressiveness.

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Because without THAT, Star Wars would destroy every single movie in term of box office.

They need THAT to make Star Wars' BO bearable ^_^

19 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Yep, here in the US, the ads/trailers were pretty muddled and if anything, for a long time they seemed to be hiding the mop aspect, even though everyone knew it was about JLaw playing the Miracle Mop lady, yet they'd rather show her with a rifle or De Niro wisecracking. What? The best trailer I saw for it was from the UK, it seemed a lot more focused about a woman making a success for herself despite the odds. The US ads eventually got around to selling that angle but the advertising could have been a lot more focused. I would put its domestic OD down to JLaw/Home Shopping fans turning out (Joy Mangano did a lot of appearances/press for the film as well) than the fact that it was such an easy sell here. Star power can only do so much for the overall box office; ultimately people have to like what they see. The budget is high for the sort of movie it is, but without JLaw, maybe the studio doesn't want to make Joy at all and it never gets made.

I definitely remember a sermon about Avatar trying to sway the unknowing masses away from Christianity. My mom (who pretty much only goes to the theaters for stuff like Courageous and War Room or "uplifting" racial moves) knew I'd seen Avatar and wanted to grill me about its religious content. She seemed somewhat placated to know it was set on another planet, presumably where they didn't have Bibles and wouldn't automatically be condemned to hell for not being Christian. I don't think the religious backlash will be as big of a problem for Avatar 2 as much of the world simply moving on from the story after so many years.

thank you!  everything you said is spot on.  I remember the rifle shot in the trailer really throwing me off and then when i saw the film being like 'why the HELL did they use that in the marketing?!'.  completely agree.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Nolanites when Avengers came out makes a pretty good case. Never saw so many charts and graphs.

• Like 9