#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

38 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The FORCE AWAKENS is indeed a Force to be reckoning with... Even if this doesn't hit 1B Domestic, who cares??? It'll still beaten AVATAR Domestic and to me, that's all that matters and no amout of Graphs or all this adjusted/unadjusted crap will change any of that... GAME OVER AVATAR..:bravo:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20871-never-let-go-rose-everyone-on-this-base-is-fighting-for-survival-its-true-all-of-it-cameron-and-avatar-vs-the-world/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I wish so badly I could "get it," but Boyhood would make my Worst 10 movies of all time list. It was a movie about nothing. So yes, different strokes, I guess. I hated it. My girlfriend hated me when I made her watch it that night. I slept on the couch that night. LOL, j/k, but she was pissed. 

Huh, maybe you should contribute your 10 Best list this year. I think I would find it... interesting. :ph34r: 

• Like 3

Oh god, I abstain from this year. What other recent year has been worse than 2015? I mean, I'm happy because as a die-hard Star Wars fan, they could have literally not released one other movie and it would still be a great year for me. But that aside, I would unquestionably have to put something like Rogue Nation on my Top 10 list and as much as I enjoyed it, that shouldn't happen. That movie should not be on a Top 10 list, but what else am I going to put? Probably right now my votes for the 5 best films (since I just get to vote on the Best Director DGA category) would be for TFA, The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, and I can't decide between The Martian, Inside Out, and Ex Machina. Those would all be 4 star films to me. Beyond that, I got nothing, really. I found The Revenant good, but underwhelming, I enjoyed Sicario for sure, but it's dark and I didn't love it, Steve Jobs was solid though I also didn't love it, and I liked Black Mass as well but all of those for me were 3 star movies. Good, not great.

I'm hoping for a stronger 2016. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FTF said:

Yup, no way it passes it on Monday.  Though they could mean Avatar's initial dom total of $750m, not the pointless rerelease where it made another $10m more.

Was just a limited release with added footage not a re release.  Lol.  Avatar 2 is going to make slot of you cry if it takes back the domestic without needing to have giant weekends.  I love it and congrats  to fa. Your on the path to topple avatar 8 yrs later.  Still can you hold the domestic crown for 12 yrs like titanic and 8 like Avatar.  

I'm betting not.  Force awakens will get around 890-930 dom.  Most impressive. 

PS Cameron power is still bigger than sws.  

Edited by Kalel009Shel
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Oh god, I abstain from this year. What other recent year has been worse than 2015? I mean, I'm happy because as a die-hard Star Wars fan, they could have literally not released one other movie and it would still be a great year for me. But that aside, I would unquestionably have to put something like Rogue Nation on my Top 10 list and as much as I enjoyed it, that shouldn't happen. That movie should not be on a Top 10 list, but what else am I going to put? Probably right now my votes for the 5 best films (since I just get to vote on the Best Director DGA category) would be for TFA, The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, and I can't decide between The Martian, Inside Out, and Ex Machina. Those would all be 4 star films to me. Beyond that, I got nothing, really. I found The Revenant good, but underwhelming, I enjoyed Sicario for sure, but it's dark and I didn't love it, Steve Jobs was solid though I also didn't love it, and I liked Black Mass as well but all of those for me were 3 star movies. Good, not great.

I'm hoping for a stronger 2016. 

Oh wow I heard reverant was mindblowing.  Sorry you didn't dig it as one of the films of top quality this year.  I can't wait to see it.  Seeing hateful 8 tomm 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

I do not agree. Excuse me for my english but I'm french.wers.

Hello to you too.

You might have missed it, I wrote for the intended purpose, I think your reasoning is about something else

HAHAHA James Cameron, a guy, a director, is bigger than Star Wars. Yeah ok buddy. I see why people here call you a troll. That's not even based on any relevant facts. The Star Wars franchise will be around long after Cameron is dead, because it's bigger than any one man. As it just proved. 

And Avatar held #1 for 8 years? Aren't you an Avatar fanboy? It's 2016. It took the crown in 2010. That's 6 years dude. Not 8. 

If you think Avatar 2 even has a snowball's chance in hell of passing TFA, you're seriously delusional, but it makes for good entertainment. 

• Like 3

Return of the King drop percentages are the numbers to watch from this point forward.  TFA must percentage wise drop slightly better than RotK to get to $1B.  After this weekend TFA will be at about $744m (assuming a 33% Sunday drop)

At this point RotK was at $290.4, or 77% of its total, this would give TFA $966m 

This is comparing the total at the end of the third weekend to the final total for both movies, the end of RotK's 3rd weekend was 2 more days into its run, and I think the $966m represents a good floor for this films gross.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Was just a limited release with added footage not a re release.  Lol.  Avatar 2 is going to make slot of you cry if it takes back the domestic without needing to have giant weekends.  I love it and congrats  to fa. Your on the path to topple avatar 8 yrs later.  Still can you hold the domestic crown for 12 yrs like titanic and 8 like Avatar.  

I'm betting not.  Force awakens will get around 890-930 dom.  Most impressive. 

PS Cameron power is still bigger than sws.  

The re-release was on over 2000 screens, in the height of Summer, and got IMAX, and barely made in total what forecasters expected on OW. It wasn't limited Kal. 

Sign me up, I'd love $960M. A clean $200M victory over Avatar. What's nice about watching this run as a Star Wars fan is that it hasn't been close. I expected a trickle to MAYBE finally beat Avatar. Perhaps getting to $800M if everything went perfectly. The victory, frankly, has been astonishing in how easy it has been. Avatar won't have lasted 20 days, even if you include the preview day, it still will be 20 days or less. 

What I read here yesterday from some posters, though, really made me wonder. I came here and I want to keep posting here beyond this run to be in the company of box office experts. When I see comments like, "Who could have ever imagined it would be #1? Nobody saw that coming!" Huh...? No movie has ever had a better shot at #1 than The Force Awakens. If you couldn't at least think to yourself at the start of 2015, "This movie has a shot at Avatar, and probably a good one," you may not be as in touch with box office trends as you think. And when JW made $650M if you were still predicting Star Wars had little chance, then there's no hope for your ability to predict box office grosses. None at all. A film fueled by nostalgia, with solid but not great word of mouth, solid but not great reviews, and it came $100M away from Avatar. The writing was on the wall from that point forward. Then you had the pre-sales. How many clues did you need, really? It wasn't too tough to see this coming even in early 2015. Maybe it's just the Star Wars fan in me, but this didn't surprise most of us. It's like gee, yes, Star Wars is popular, is this news 38.5 years later? Shouldn't be. 

Beyond that, you guys if you follow the box office can do basic math. TPM sold 85 million tickets. Was it THAT hard to imagine with the original cast back that TFA could sell 85 million tickets...? Nobody here should be saying, "Whoa, who ever thought Star Wars could beat Avatar?" Umm, everyone I know on Facebook? People who don't know the box office from a hole in the wall? Is this a case where the experts are just not as "with it" or something? lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RogueLeader said:

That would be a real shame though.

I mean imagine if this thing got to 990 million and didn't make the final 1 billion. That would suck so hard.

IMO Disney would be REALLY smart to do a TFA "special Edition" type thing to help it get past that last hurdle. What do you guys think?

Like a singalong!

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Sign me up, I'd love $960M. A clean $200M victory over Avatar. What's nice about watching this run as a Star Wars fan is that it hasn't been close. I expected a trickle to MAYBE finally beat Avatar. Perhaps getting to $800M if everything went perfectly. The victory, frankly, has been astonishing in how easy it has been. Avatar won't have lasted 20 days, even if you include the preview day, it still will be 20 days or less. 

What I read here yesterday from some posters, though, really made me wonder. I came here and I want to keep posting here beyond this run to be in the company of box office experts. When I see comments like, "Who could have ever imagined it would be #1? Nobody saw that coming!" Huh...? No movie has ever had a better shot at #1 than The Force Awakens. If you couldn't at least think to yourself at the start of 2015, "This movie has a shot at Avatar, and probably a good one," you may not be as in touch with box office trends as you think. And when JW made $650M if you were still predicting Star Wars had little chance, then there's no hope for your ability to predict box office grosses. None at all. A film fueled by nostalgia, with solid but not great word of mouth, solid but not great reviews, and it came $100M away from Avatar. The writing was on the wall from that point forward. Then you had the pre-sales. How many clues did you need, really? It wasn't too tough to see this coming even in early 2015. Maybe it's just the Star Wars fan in me, but this didn't surprise most of us. It's like gee, yes, Star Wars is popular, is this news 38.5 years later? Shouldn't be. 

Beyond that, you guys if you follow the box office can do basic math. TPM sold 85 million tickets. Was it THAT hard to imagine with the original cast back that TFA could sell 85 million tickets...? Nobody here should be saying, "Whoa, who ever thought Star Wars could beat Avatar?" Umm, everyone I know on Facebook? People who don't know the box office from a hole in the wall? Is this a case where the experts are just not as "with it" or something? lol

I knew it was gonna be big, but I was really skeptical of another Star Wars movie ever being #1 again after the prequel debacles.  Glad I was wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

We would be well on track for $1B if people stopped wasting their money on garbage like Hateful Eight and Joy, which I'm sadly suffering through right now. 

You're typing during a movie? Dude!

• Like 1

If TFA does follow RotK it would make $56.13m on the week of Jan 4-Jan 10 with a $5.7m Monday, and a $36.4m weekend*

I think TFA will be much higher then those numbers, putting it on a path to $1B+ potentially threatening Jaws adjusted.

* These calculations were based on the day, week, and weekends percentage of gross to date

26 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The re-release was on over 2000 screens, in the height of Summer, and got IMAX, and barely made in total what forecasters expected on OW. It wasn't limited Kal. 

No, it was released in the doldrums of late August in 812 theaters, over 4 months after it had been released on dvd.

6 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Quite young sounds like

He told: 33, owns a company, gave titles to 2 (?) non-fiction books written, directed a (small?) movie, ... but states he is a SW nut (or so), ... what might result in a few a bit strong reactions.

Fandom can make ppl behave out of their age group. :D

Like some sport fans.... ;)

I do not really care how much it makes as long as it makes enough to guarantee the next ones, but wow, what a ride to observe, including the reactions at BOT.

Not happy about the 'triumph-howls' of the pro positioned nor the hair-splitters who try to take away the fun = IMHO bad behavior/manners...

• Like 1