druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

59 minutes ago, Baumer said:

All this adjusted talk is silly.  The eras are completely different.  Exorcist, Jaws, even Titanic didn't have to deal with piracy and other forms of revenue stunting.  It's nice to compare  but it's also completely irrelevant.

I agree it can make a difference, but if I'm looking at historical context, I want to know how many tickets were taken for each film. Adjusting ticket costs is about the only way to know how that played. And while I certainly don't discount the impact piracy has today given the vast array of people who have access, there's no way to really put a number on that or account for those who still paid to see for the theatrical experience as well. Plus screenings are more tightly controlled than what they were in previous decades, so we don't really know what liberties were taken from those lack of controls back then either. I think when it comes to the black market effect it's all pretty relative. Any controls in place today are a result of finding discrepancies from the past.

I think what really strikes me about this record gross is just how quickly it got there. Of course I have no idea what kind of legs this movie will have, but it certainly seems to have gotten in front of allot of people fast as well as the repeat viewers. If a movie ascends that quickly, shouldn't there be a rationale that says it could quite possibly descend much quicker on the backend? I mean are there that many people left who want to see this movie who will actually go see it before it goes out of theaters? I'm not trying to forecast the outcome so much as reason what is left of the market to soak up. Looking further down the road, this will likely also be a immense obstacle for a sequel to answer to, since so much of the success of this seems to be riding on the nostalgia nod the movie invokes. Can you really go there twice stylistically? Should be interesting.

• Like 1

STAR WARS VII am Montag: $8,0 Mio USA + $14,5 Mio. INTL = insgesamt $1.536.300.000 weltweit = No. 4 All-Time

SW 7 on Monday $8.0m + $14.5m intl in sum $1,536,300,000 worldwide ....

post only as the big number is written out in a tweet

• Like 1

Figuring out admissions as best as possible is still our best measure of box office success though. Context is great, but also subjective. Just because I argue movie x made what it did because of reasons y doesn't make it factual. Maybe  it just made what it did because it was so well liked and would have done so regardless of other factors. Who knows? Grosses of course are highly deceptive given inflation and other factors, so they don't work all that well either. Adjusting for inflation and estimating attendance is still our best bet at measuring what films are the most successful. There's no way to measure what was really the most impressive run given every factor that was an influence on it. 

21 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Of course TFA could have great weekends, but JW had in 4th weekend over 29 mln, so if TFA needs 70% it means that it need around 50 mln in 4th weekend, and we shouldn't forget that TFA doesn't have weekdays which are 70% better than JW, so it need even better weekend.

Relax bro, it's the week after the holidays, one of the slowest of the year.

Of course TFA was going to drop huge. Doesn't mean that it's going to drop huge in the following weeks.

Nope, actuals at BOM are NOT up, but they seem to update some of the charts already, beside the $8m for dom are not included yet

WORLDWIDE GROSSES

Rank Title Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year^
1 Avatar Fox $2,788.0 $760.5 27.3% $2,027.5 72.7% 2009^
2 Titanic Par. $2,186.8 $658.7 30.1% $1,528.1 69.9% 1997^
3 Jurassic World Uni. $1,669.0 $652.3 39.1% $1,016.7 60.9% 2015
4 Star Wars 7 BV $1,528.3 $742.2 48.6% $786.1 51.4% 2015

Edited by terrestrial
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, movieboner said:

Anyone here think TFA can outgross Titanic worldwide. That seems the prime target at the moment, Avatar's worldwide gross is impossible to reach at this point.

Unless China won't be overrun by an invasion of SWatriotic Brainslugs. Which is rather unlikely to happen, unfortunately.

Theater Averages: Revenant Remains Potent with Average of $111,957

article = 5 January ...

The Revenant remained on top of the theater average chart dipping just 6% to an average of $111,957 in four theaters. That's amazing and it bodes very well for its chances during its wide expansion this weekend. Furthermore, there are some major Awards Season events this week that could boost ticket sales even more. Anomalisa was well back in second place, but it still had an impressive opening with an average of $33,806 over the weekend and an average of $52,658 during its five-day opening. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was next with an average of $21,829. Chimes at Midnight earned $20,480 in one theater during its re-release, while Only Yesterday earned $14,970, also in one theater. The latter film is yet another success for GKIDS; this is the only studio that routinely has success with animated films in limited release. 45 Years remained in the $10,000 club with an average of $14,588 in six theaters. It doubled its theater count, but the average only fell 33% and that's a great sign for further expansion. Mr. Six is the fourth holdover in the $10,000 club earning an average of $10,406 in 28 theaters.

None of the rest of the new limited releases were close to $10,000. Devil and Angel earned an average of $3,738 in 12 theaters, while Yosemite earned an average of $2,231 in two.

37 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I officially predict about 800M Domestic for VIII.. The interest and fanbase clearly is there and VII ended making you want more.. It's a done deal..

That really depends on how re-watchable ep. VIII ends up being. Sure, pretty much everyone who saw ep. 7 will see 8 at least once. But people are seeing ep7 two+ times (or more) . Not sure if Ep8 will draw the same sort of crazy repeat business... I guess we will see! 

Edited by rustyspoons89

44 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

MON: $8M dom + $14.5M intl. $750.2M dom. Global $1.54B passing Furious7 & Avengers1 for #4 all-time.

Wow, that's a much bigger number than I was expecting for international. Perhaps it'll stay well ahead of domestic now, and the gap will widen. (Excluding China of course, which could make more than domestic alone this weekend.)

If the international numbers stay well ahead of domestic, and domestic still  hits a billion, well, that'd be nice. Really nice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kitik said:

Wow, that's a much bigger number than I was expecting for international....

Not sure in which countries this too might be, but here a lot of states are still having school holiday till Wednesday

Star Wars update from qUeensway in Toronto. 15th busiest theater in NA over last week.

AVX has two sell outs today. There is a 2d sell out atv7pm. Early shows look about three quarters full.

Im at Brooklyn sitting in second row from front. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Relax bro, it's the week after the holidays, one of the slowest of the year.

Of course TFA was going to drop huge. Doesn't mean that it's going to drop huge in the following weeks.

But it doesn't need huge drop to miss 1bln. Avatar made $ 312 mln in January if TFA will have 15% less it will end January with around 915 mln, if so imho it will miss  1bln. Do you think 15% less than Avatar is a huge drop? I don't think so.

Mon 8

Tue 7.9

Wed 7.1

Thu 6.4 (771.6m total)

Fri 13

Sat 20.5

Sun 14.5 (48m weekend / 819.6m total)

~820m + 48m*2.5 = 820m + 120m = 940m dom

~820m + 48m*3.0 = 820m + 144m = 964m dom

Split the difference, 952m dom

Edited by a2knet

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Did you upload them at a hosting website or do you try to upload them from your computer directly here into the post?

i´ve tried from my computer, cause i made them with my phone.

Thanks for help.