druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

4 hours ago, 23IsEverywhere said:

I think it will easily out gross titanic, with about $200m + still to come from China

Presales not looking good so far and China weakened it's currency again. It's now 5% weaker than JWs opening.  It'll need a $35m OD Sunday to have a chance and good WOM

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Not sure if that is meant as a statement or a question. Also not sure if anyone is meant as everyone or not, something sounds off to my mostly self-trained English ears.

If it is a statement about everyone, then no, not everyone, I've read a few doubts too.

If meant as anyone, than I seem not to grasp why/what you mean/whom you mean (or seek?) as you wrote the first sentence?

Are you off your meds? You need to chill.

10 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

And yes I do expect us to get an Oscar boost. It will get nominated for Best Picture. You simply cannot ignore the box office.

It has a shot, but I wouldn't say it's a lock. The Academy obviously prefers rewarding auteurs, and the criticisms towards the movie's lack of originality(which are overblown imo) could definitely hurt it.

50 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

Dude who said anything about doubting ?

8M estimation is rounded up or down, we could have a 8.095 M actual and it would beat Avatar.

Of course it could also be 7.8 and then you'll be right. In both case RTH would still be right on spot.

All I'm saying is that you and I both don't know who wins the day based on a 8M estimation by RTH.

He rounded up obiviously

3 hours ago, Caladbolg said:

I'm not saying it is accurate and the Wiki Article attempts to explain, I think it is off- but his chart according Guinness World Records:

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation[28][29]
Rank Title Worldwide gross
(2014 $)
Year
1 Gone with the Wind $3,440,000,000 1939
2 Avatar $3,020,000,000 2009
3 Star Wars $2,825,000,000 1977
4 Titanic T$2,516,000,000 1997
5 The Sound of Music $2,366,000,000 1965
6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,310,000,000 1982
7 The Ten Commandments $2,187,000,000 1956
8 Doctor Zhivago $2,073,000,000 1965
9 Jaws $2,027,000,000 1975

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs S$1,819,000,000

That list seems a bit random and not too accurate, as you well say. Probably most of the films of the list are in the top 10, maybe all of them, but figures and even ranking are not very good calculated. Talking about recent films, Titanic is, FOR SURE, bigger than Avatar. And Avatar does not adjust to 3 billion. Not even close. In fact, it adjusts to a lower amount than it really did because of exchange rates and 3D "doping". With standard tickets, it maybe adjusts to 2.3-2.4b range. And to know how much adjust older films it is quite harder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

Are you guys using a comma instead of a period for decimal notation? I noticed a few posts in here that is quite confusing.

France as @RascarCapat told and Germany have indeed a mirrored use of number's details like in the US. I think it's the same in other countries here too, beside (as in not) UK and ???

(hmm, the member name orange marking seem not to work?)

To use SW 7 dom actual from yesterday as an example:

$742,208,942.99  (I added the 99 cent to show a complete example), we would here write in this way:

742.208.942,99 US$ or 742208942,99 US$

Some write the currency without an empty space too, might depend on the most used to software. Or write the currency as a written word

The date we to write in another row too

31.12.2015 or 31. December 2015

For me the US version is very confusing, if it is e.g. an 2015/01/06 date I never am sure what is meant for a moment, still mix that one up, if in haste.

It's a :rant::bash:  btw, to use an Excel spread-sheat and trying to use in it both versions - copied out of different sources

= does not work

you can configure it to present/work with the numbers in either this or that way only, at least I've never found out a way how to get Excel to calculate with both version at once. One version seems always get read as text, the other as numbers.

Same counts for dates...

I only wrote this a little bit in-depth, as quite a lot here are not from the US and it might help to avoid misunderstandings when one of us uses own material / sheats to show something or uses non-US news sources

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

And yes I do expect us to get an Oscar boost. It will get nominated for Best Picture. You simply cannot ignore the box office.

But are we expecting a similar Oscar boost like ROTK had?  TFA won't have 10+ noms and multiple wins.  I'm just saying that at some point in Feb, TFA will "drop" from its 3.2X-3.5X ratio of ROTK on daily gross comparisons. 

Hmm. An Oscar nod is possible. Let's see, I'd say Spotlight, Fury Road, The Martian, Carol, Big Short, Bridge Of Spies are pretty much locked to get nominations. Then, you have Creed, Star Wars, Room, Revenant, Brooklyn, Sicario. Eh, I'm gonna say it doesn't get one. So... No Oscar boost. Maybe a bunch of SFX and Sound Design nods. Won't get make up, costume, editing, screenplay, any acting and won't get a director either.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

12 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Are you off your meds? You need to chill.

Because I ask if I do not understand something?

I wasn't sure if the member is asking who thinks that, as in asking for a name. How to answer, if I can not understand the sentence? I added it's might be my English, so it should have been clear it's not meant negatively, I simply do not understand.

I often do not understand the rather short hints of rth neither, too short / telegram like and I am lost.

32 minutes ago, setna said:

....i´ve tried to attach the pictures, but i can´t,  can help me anyone?

Did you upload them at a hosting website or do you try to upload them from your computer directly here into the post?

15 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It has a shot, but I wouldn't say it's a lock. The Academy obviously prefers rewarding auteurs, and the criticisms towards the movie's lack of originality(which are overblown imo) could definitely hurt it.

Well, nothing is a lock to get a best picture nod, I get that.  But the last two films that set the all time domestic record got best picture nominations and in 93 when Jurassic Park did as well, it too got a slew of nods, granted no best picture nod but they rewarded Spielberg with Schindler's List, so no need to go for JP.  I know it's not locked, but imo, it will get a nod.

Netflix Snares More Kid Stuff From DreamWorks Animation In Bigger Deal

, The Biggest Film Ever, Is A Girl-Powered Superhero Movie. via by

At some point today, maybe closer to the evening than the afternoon, J.J. Abrams’s crowd-pleasing Star Wars sequel will pass the $760.5 million.... Avatar .... will be a female-centric superhero movie.

... because Hasbro and the other various companies producing The Force Awakens merchandise have still omits Rey, the main character of the movie, in many of their Star Wars toys and games ....

And the film is doing even better overseas than in America, having earned around $800 million overseas as of today with China still on tap for this coming Friday.....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Let's say this does get some Oscar noms, at that point, how many people have not seen this yet?  Would it really help it that much?  I guess it would be one more interesting thing to find out.

I guess it maybe would give Disney an excuse to expand it one last time? Maybe give it IMAX if something coming out in that format flops in Febuary/March. Seems to be a big gap in between Deadpool and Allegiant that isn't claimed yet.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt

20 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Because I ask if I do not understand something?

I wasn't sure if the member is asking who thinks that, as in asking for a name. How to answer, if I can not understand the sentence? I added it's might be my English, so it should have been clear it's not meant negatively, I simply do not understand.

I often do not understand the rather short hints of rth neither, too short / telegram like and I am lost.

Well maybe it's your misunderstanding of English here, but there have been a number of other posts that have been a bit harsh. Are you from east germany?

15 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

And the film is doing even better overseas than in America, having earned around $800 million overseas as of today with China still on tap for this coming Friday.....

I highly doubt the film made $30m overseas yesterday given that it only made around $2m in its strongest market, the UK. It's a bit disingenuous saying that the film is doing "even better overseas" just because it has a higher total overseas than domestically, too - every blockbuster has a higher overseas total, and 99% have a better ratio than TFA does at the moment. If anything it's doing much worse overseas in general compared to its domestic success. A 49/51 ratio for a 2015 blockbuster is obviously nothing to brag about, even without China.

Edited by hw64

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

, The Biggest Film Ever, Is A Girl-Powered Superhero Movie. via by

How is it a superhero movie?

Spoiler

Rey being able to use the force

? It's part of the setting, it's not a super power in the Star Wars universe any more than being able to do a backflip is in ours. That guy seems intent on misinterperting the movie.

Edited by Last Man Standing