WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

I feel TFA will have a better than expected Sat bump and cross 40m for the weekend.

Removing previews, Revenant is 11.8-12.3 on Friday. I guess it will show a 20% bump on Sat from non-preview Friday?

Using -30% on Sunday,

2.3 + 11.8-12.3 + 14.16-14.76 + 9.91-10.33 for a 38.17-39.69 weekend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Eh, I doubt those countries cared much for the OT either. Or even Fords's 80s/90s blockbusters. OS expansions to non-English speaking countries really took off well after.

I do not know any movie watcher here who doesn't kno who he is

Thursday is e.g. school library day. Heard an middle-step pupil (means 4, - 6. grade/class) explain another one, that Han is the a bit less cooler version of harrison Ford in RL. I nearly 'choked to death' as trying to avoid to spit what I was drinking over my notebook there.

I asked, he seems to have seen a few YT clips with translations, he meant especially interviews, him saving repeatedly people in the state he is living, him getting out of hospitals merly days after breaking his hips after the plane accidents,...

I knew about a lot of that too (I watched way less interviews than he did), but was rather very surprised to hear it out of the mouth of a ~ 10y old.

Btw, that was the first day back to school and a lot of the conversations circled around SW 7. Teachers seem to have complaint about it a bit, according to some pupils.

A few PT lovers out of the mentioned age group weren't that happy btw (not really SW), but the others liked ot loved it very much beside the seemingly less than stellar translation (I've only seen it in English)

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

India is the last corner of the World where a local film economy resists to the Hollywood invasion.

IMHO it looks like it's rather so, that the impact of local movies is rather growing, not only in India.

Take a look at Italy (record breaking movie, the percentages similar to TFA's run in the US), SK, China, Germany before TFA,...

I forgot, either it as the last weekend or the one before, only one Hollywood movie was even in the ww top 5 (TFA).

1 hour ago, The Good Olive said:

EP7 will make much more than EP1-3 combined on its opening day here in China.

Cool

the final results for the PT's in China:

SW 1 $4,100,273 according to BOM

SW 2 $5,488,408 according to BOM

SW 3 $9,128,645 according to BOM, but I read also ~ $11m elsewhere

= $18,717,326

Only to give ppl a feeling how 'established' Star Wars is there (not)

3RD UPDATE, Friday 11:36PM: It’s a duel between Leonardo DiCaprio and the Jedis, and while 20th Century Fox’s The Revenant is winning Friday with $14M-$14.6M to Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ $10.4M-$11.3M, it’s currently a blinking contest between the two for No. 1 with each showing a 3-day between in the $37M-$39M vicinty.

Force Awakens’ grip on No. 1 hinges on Sunday, which some think has a better chance of holding better than Revenant given the Star Wars family friendly audience. Furthermore, Episode VII is playing at 759 more theaters than the Alejandro Inarritu western. Now it’s looking like Sunday when Force Awakens crosses $800M (it keeps going back and forth between Saturday).

deadline.com article

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Pamela McClintock hat Hollywood Reporter retweetet Guess star power isn't dead after all: is scaring off at Friday box office.

Box Office: 'The Revenant' Clawing Past 'Star Wars' Friday for Close Weekend Battle

• Like 1

Deadline is reporting a 60%+ drop The Hateful Eight this weekend. Well shit. It's obvious that it only really appealed to Tarantino's fan base and nobody else. Imagine if it had opened against The Revenant this weekend as originally planned.

12 minutes ago, rustyspoons89 said:

So this means 1B isn't happening? 

Im not saying I'm disappointed.. I'm legitimately asking, does this mean it won't hit 1B?

Some think it is still possible, the majority seems to think +/- $950m now.

But there are ppl here that never thought it will reach $1b too.

Me = will be ecstatic if it reaches $900m, but I do not predict, incl. that number

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Deadline is reporting a 60%+ drop The Hateful Eight this weekend. Well shit. It's obvious that it only really appealed to Tarantino's fan base and nobody else. Imagine if it had opened against The Revenant this weekend as originally planned.

The marketing wasn't that good either. To the GA it probably looked like a lesser version of Django.

The last minute change of release date didn't help.

23 minutes ago, rustyspoons89 said:

So this means 1B isn't happening? 

Im not saying I'm disappointed.. I'm legitimately asking, does this mean it won't hit 1B?

No chance at all now....... with 40m weekend, 950m is the new high end.

Less than $40M for TFA this weekend would definitely be a disappointment. I mean don't get me wrong, the battle is won, but that's a pretty large fall from $90M. I was hoping or $50M for sure, and thinking $45M is the floor. I still think it can have a large Saturday increase, though.

I'm sure whoever loves Indian cinema is the same guy who told me Room is the year's best film. I'm just about done with this stinker and my god there's a reason it made not even $5M. Because it SUCKS! Talk about one of the most boring movies of the year. I feel like whenever you talk to critics or "huge cinema fans," which I am one (I just am not pretentious about it), up is down, down is up, black is white, and white is black. Carol, The Hateful Eight, and The Danish Girl were all 0 star films. They would all make my Worst 50 movies ever made list right alongside Boyhood. Now, with Room, we have another candidate. Another piece of crap that I'm being sold on as some great film when in fact it was slower than watching grass row. This movie SUCKS. The subject matter may be interesting but again, just like Spotlight (which wasn't bad, it just wasn't great either), we all already know this story. We read it on CNN years ago. I read quite a few articles on it in fact. I get it. It's very sad if this kind of thing happens, but the film is completely boring. How you could find this a great movie, I really have no clue, but if someone thinks any of these films are worth seeing then we clearly don't have similar taste in cinema.

On the plus side, the absolute garbage like The Danish Girl, Carol, and Room make The Revenant look like a bonafide Oscar front-runner. At least it's a REAL MOVIE with a plot and characters, instead of just complete bullshit.

• ...wtf 1